Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #1

Angry Direct replacement for Onan 2800

I have been trying to get a Onan MicroLite 2800 running in my 1994 Dodge Pleasureway. Tonight was the final attempt.

I had replaced the carburetor. I ended up with the generator ON FIRE!

I could have been killed and was lucky the whole van didn’t go up in flames.

I have no intention of going to the local RV shop. Don’t have any confidence that I won’t get ripped off.

I need to know if there is a replacement generator that can be installed in the Onan shell? I am retired and have limited funds.
Rocktopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There is not. There are some possibilities but it is not a project for a limited budget. Hopefully someone with money to throw away will give it a try.

You should be able to make yours work.

I could recommend a place in Phoenix. I agree. Stay away from an RV place.

Look for a small engine repair place or generator repair place not associated with RVs.

Obviously the next attempt to get it running needs to be while removed from the vehicle. I, too, caught a 4kw generator on fire. Can't remember what dumb move caused it but it was a frightening experience.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Rocktopper!

Sorry to hear of your experience with your Onan. As hbn7hj stated, there has been previous discussion here about a replacement for the Onan, but I recall only one post of someone working on such a project and it was either unsatisfactory, unproven, too expensive, or all three.

As he also points out, unless your fire was more devastaing than his , you may yet salvage your Onan. But as you already know, it will be costly. And finding a "qualified" repair source can be iffy. Several previous stories here about people getting ripped off (at least finacially). Sorry.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Where does the generator fit? It doesn't hang underneath for that year. Measure an electric start Champion and see if it fits.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Onan 2800 was re-designed i think 2012.

New model won't fit in 1994 space.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I could recommend a place in Phoenix.

where? just wondering

Ta, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Onan 2800 was re-designed i think 2012.

New model won't fit in 1994 space.
I believe Onan sells adapters that allow you to mount the newer 2800s (which are smaller) where an older 2800 was previously mounted.
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LeisureTravelDodge View Post
I believe Onan sells adapters that allow you to mount the newer 2800s (which are smaller) where an older 2800 was previously mounted.

As far as I know the new Onan is larger than the old one so won't fit in the compartment on that year van.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
where? just wondering
Mesa Precision Motor Service. 31 E Vine Ave. Mesa, AZ 85210.
(480) 969-5851.

They would rather not do the remove and replace but they will for a price.
I used them 6 years ago. Voltage regulator was bad. $400. $300 for the part.

Haven't used them since but they certainly knew what they were doing.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As far as I know the new Onan is larger than the old one so won't fit in the compartment on that year van.
I'm pretty sure the QG 2800 (HGJBB series) has a smaller fooot print than the earlier 2800s (KV series). Here is the adapter: Onan Generator Retro Adapter KV to HGJBB Mounting Kit
To be used to mount a HGJBB where a KV generator was installed with Cummins Onan mounting kit 403-2689. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVQDZX8...ogi&th=1&psc=1
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Old Onan 24L 16.4W 12.25H

New Onan 22L 16.3W 12.8H

It is the height that makes or the problem. Underbody ones were right up to floor and cabinet ones like the one in question in this discussion would not have a tall enough cabinet, It appears.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Hi: I just found the new Onan 2.8 inverter generator. The sales representative sent spec sheet. Unknown price for now. He said maybe in 4-5 weeks will know price. Available to OEM around that time. You can contact Tom to get a pdf file of specs.

Tom.j.catey@cummins.com
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Why not think out-of-the-box? A bank of Lithium batteries, solar panels and an inverter might eliminate the need for a stinky noisy generator and make you a lot more welcome in campgrounds.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I lost track of how much money I have sunk into mine over the years. Carberator, 2 fuel pumps, low oil sensor switch, muffler and on and on. I have a 1995 Xplorer Class B. Comes out from side. Even the access door must be taken off to remove it. Wish Honda made a replacement! Tried Onan dealer and 2 small shops. Never use dealer just try and find a small shop that is knowable. Can't help you I live in Maryland. Good luck!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim86301 View Post
Why not think out-of-the-box? A bank of Lithium batteries, solar panels and an inverter might eliminate the need for a stinky noisy generator and make you a lot more welcome in campgrounds.

That is not out of the box for this forum.

Lots and lots of information of going without a generator the pluses and minuses of all the ways to do it. You will need a long time, and maybe lots of beer and chips, to get thought even half of it!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #16
Bronze Member

@Rocktopper: why don't you post what the initial problem was? There seems to be lots of experience on this board with the Onan.
Frankshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #17
Platinum Member

A brand new Onan generator has been announced that will be fuel injected and quieter (65db). Way past time for this. We don’t know yet whether it will be an easy drop in replacement for the current 2,800 or not. Regardless, I am sure it will NOT be cheap.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
A brand new Onan generator has been announced that will be fuel injected and quieter (65db). Way past time for this. We don’t know yet whether it will be an easy drop in replacement for the current 2,800 or not. Regardless, I am sure it will NOT be cheap.
I have been trying to get info on this new generator. I understand that it will be an inverter and quieter. Onan will not provide any info and my service rep cannot get any info. It is supposed to be available shortly - but I am sceptical as it looks like they have not prepared their support network yet. I will continue to try to repair my old (2006) Onan.
djdeld01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdeld01 View Post
I have been trying to get info on this new generator. I understand that it will be an inverter and quieter. Onan will not provide any info and my service rep cannot get any info. It is supposed to be available shortly - but I am sceptical as it looks like they have not prepared their support network yet. I will continue to try to repair my old (2006) Onan.

Information here:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tor-10556.html
Old 06-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Just received this email regarding Onan 2800i

You should be able to see the generator in a month or two. We really don’t have a place you can hear them until OEM start installing them in new RVs coming off the production line and that will be a while.

Tom Catey

Territory Manager, Pacific Region
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not another onan, replacement generator