Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Fuel injection doesn't have the small passages that hold gas when not running and cause the gelling and passage plugging. EFI also does a better job of controlling mixture and varying speeds and loads. They haven't made carburetor fueled cars in decades, for very good reason.
Thanks for the information. I was thinking with the dual fuel, to just use propane with genny. Thus avoiding the carburetor issues. It does come with a substantial propane tank system.

Is the Onan EFI? I really like my Onan 2800i. Have had it for over 2 years. Just changed the oil. It is very quiet and has very little vibration.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
A propane generator is fine if you don’t use it much but it sucks a propane tank dry pretty quick. Then you are out of furnace.
I have a portable propane generator. Did not seem like it drained down the propane tank too quickly. I know propane is not as energy dense but just use the genny to charge battery bank and or run AC when necessary.

Any fuel maintenance issues with fuel injected Onans?
Old 11-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #63
Gold Member

Quote:
When all else fails and you need the odd $tuff that nobody has, look to the Street Rod and Hotrod sellers.

Here is a place that has 1.25" tubing, U bends, and J bends, so you can build anything you want. They are local for me, but at least in the past, have been great to deal with. Used to be in a garage in the poorer part of town but now in the country. Ed may be retired by now so hope they are still great.

Straight Tubing - Mild Steel

Also here but have not dealt with them

https://www.coneeng.com/tubing_and_bends.html
Was thankful to receive the 36" straight pipe exhaust kit (A046572 from Shop Cummins. It includes a hanger and a 1 1/4 "clamp . The new Gen exhaust is located on the driver side bottom front. The gen has a 90 degree fitting for the exhaust to either the side or out the bottom. On my RT install I went out the side which lines up perfectly with the prior location of the old KV exhaust behind the driver side rear wheel. I used the old rear hanger and this was the easiest of the connections to be made. The outside tip of the exhaust is about 1 1/2 inches above the Gen outlet. The routing and the tilt of the exhaust was discussed with Cummins Tech Support and his main concern was with any back pressure from multiple 90 fittings. The finish length of this install was 32.5" and the cut extended 1 " past the fairing of the storage boxes and was mitre cut to match the angle of the fairing. It is very quiet compared to the KV and I think the Cummins specs and the advertising are credible .
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #64
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I have a portable propane generator. Did not seem like it drained down the propane tank too quickly. I know propane is not as energy dense but just use the genny to charge battery bank and or run AC when necessary.

Any fuel maintenance issues with fuel injected Onans?
Yes the new Gen is fuel injected. Don't remember what I read in the Operation Manual about exercising the Gen but I think it said 1/2 an hour a month. That's less than the old KV. My new '97 Chevy PU back in the day had plenty of fuel and injection issues, so fuel evaporation/deposits in the Gen could be an issue. I considered and discussed with Cummins TECH Support an inline fuel petcock to turn off the fuel and let the Gen run dry for storage periods. The fuel line on my 02C190P is attached (tie strapped) to the RT's fuel filler pipe and is easily accessible in the driver side rear wheel well. I also was thinking of adding an external fuel filter in that location. The Tech who was advising installation in general thought those could be helpful but raise concerns of leaks, and restricted fuel flow. He was unsure of the effects of running the Gen dry. For now the focus will be on the primary function of the gen to power the 120 volt needs in the RT.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #65
Gold Member

Quote:
Fuel injection doesn't have the small passages that hold gas when not running and cause the gelling and passage plugging. EFI also does a better job of controlling mixture and varying speeds and loads. They haven't made carburetor fueled cars in decades, for very good reason.
Good to know. Thanks again B.

Tags
not another onan, replacement generator