Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2023, 08:32 PM   #21

Thanks for your reply! I’m looking at either a renogy 20a B2B or the renogy 50amppt/30aB2B combo unit. My main concern is the small alternator in the van may not be powerful enough for a 30a draw. What do you think about those options?
Camjamcur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #22

Also, would I need to remove the existing isolator and relays, or could I just plug in the B2B somewhere in between the house battery and isolator? The alt is a 90a just fyi.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:56 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camjamcur View Post
Also, would I need to remove the existing isolator and relays, or could I just plug in the B2B somewhere in between the house battery and isolator? The alt is a 90a just fyi.

That is a tiny alternator for this kind of stuff as you will probably have only about 30 amps max to put to charging and that would be with not a lot running except the engine. AC on high fan, headlights, etc on and you would be even worse off.

Are you counting on solar for all your power needs?

If you add a b to b, removing the isolator is best because it would give you about a .7v drop just going through it and you don't have any voltage or power to waste. 20 amp b to b would be as big as you could go, I think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:25 PM   #24

Alright, I'm gonna go with the 20a B2B. So the path will look like; alt→starter battery→B2B→positive/negative bus bars?
Old 07-27-2023, 09:29 PM   #25

Here's another question, the cords coming in and out of my transfer switch are all 3wire, but the switch only takes positive and negative inputs and outputs, no ground. what do I do with those 3 ground ends around the transfer switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van power diagram UPDATED.jpg (192.6 KB, 4 views)

Tags
battery, inverter, roadtrek, solar