Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 AM   #1

Default Internal GFI trips after generator cleaning

I have a 1996 Coachmen ford class b. I recently did the "seafoam through gas line" cleaning of a surging generator. It went well generator wise. Everything smoothed out and was running great. Idled great and ran great under load.

I ran my ac off it, and could go on hi ac and 6 (not all the way, it didn't like that). Microwave worked great too, no more surging.

I turned the genny off and plugged in, and suddenly everything went south. Now I can't turn on my gfi breaker (the one on the right, blue and white with the test button) without it tripping when I turn on the "main".

The only other change I made recently is that I installed a maxxair 5100k fan, and it never worked right. It would turn off randomly, and the only way to turn it back on was to reset this same breaker - or it would run on high and not turn off (breaker again to turn off). But even after I now disconnected it from the wires I still have this problem with the GFI inside tripping.

I'm really bummed, electrical problems are the worst and I have no idea how I will get this fixed. The maxxair fan issue bums me out too, that was like $250 just for the fan.

So I have no idea if something I did caused this (revving generator? running down battery from starting genny so many times?) But the generator runs great now, it's the rest of it that is not working. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
scrptdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Gold Member

GFCI trouble shooting.
Turn all breakers off.
Turn on one individual at a time to find which circuit trips it.
Examine that circuit.
Common causes include, refrigerator, microwave, water heater, converter.....
A multimeter is a big help.
Takes time and work
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The max fan issues are a known problem in that they are overly sensitive to input voltage above about 13.2v so if used when on shore power and a charger in full charge mode absorption stage you would stand a chance of that damage for sure. There is a discussion on this forum about this from a while ago and at that time it was still undetermined if the replacement boards from Maxxfan had addressed the issue fully or not. Some got free boards and some did not, but IMO, Maxxfan should be recalling and sending everyone a new updated board. Best to contact Maxxfan and see what they say.

You probably should get a look at the 110v power from the generator to see how it looks for frequency and voltage. You can get basic checker, plug in a socket units for a reasonable, but not cheap, price. If you have a digital meter that reads AC voltage and frequency that will work, too. It could be the genny overdid something and damaged the GFCI.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Default combined breaker gfci

Is there any way to tell if the combined breaker gfci is bad? It seems to function as intended, goes into the "on position" but trips when I turn on "main". The other two breakers (ac and micro) work fine and play nice with "main". I assume the combined breaker gfci is the same as for home, so I could just grab one at Lowe's? Thanks for all the responses.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrptdr View Post
Is there any way to tell if the combined breaker gfci is bad? It seems to function as intended, goes into the "on position" but trips when I turn on "main". The other two breakers (ac and micro) work fine and play nice with "main". I assume the combined breaker gfci is the same as for home, so I could just grab one at Lowe's? Thanks for all the responses.

I assume that it is a 15 or 20 gfci breaker? The only requirement that might give you and issue is that breakers are breaker box specific with only some brands interchangeable. Best to pop out the breaker being sure the shore power is off, generator is off, and the inverter is off and get the make a model off it. Do a Google search and see who has them. It may be big home centers and may only be at electrical supply houses. GFCI breakers aren't exactly inexpensive and are much more the GFCI outlets.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #6

Default resolution near?

I think I'm close to a resolution. I found the exact same gfi breaker (was a bit of a drive but worth it). The electrical supply shop was able to test mine and determined it was blown (I was very happy to hear that, because I think it means I've identified the culprit).

I caused this apparently by revving the genny when doing the seafoam flush (don't rev yours - not good apparently...). I'm hoping that tomorrow I can put it all back together and be all set. Will update.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:10 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I'm close to a resolution. I found the exact same gfi breaker (was a bit of a drive but worth it). The electrical supply shop was able to test mine and determined it was blown (I was very happy to hear that, because I think it means I've identified the culprit).

I caused this apparently by revving the genny when doing the seafoam flush (don't rev yours - not good apparently...). I'm hoping that tomorrow I can put it all back together and be all set. Will update.

Do you mean you revved it by manually moving the throttle? That will cause and overvoltage and an overfrequency. You are lucky if it is just the GFCI that is blown. The non inverter generators are made to run within a very narrow window for speed and the governor holds it there. Hopefully, the governor setting didn't get changed.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:21 AM   #8

Default Yes I screwed up...

Yes, booster, that's exactly what I did. I will check the voltage when I get it back up and running. There's no cure for stupid. Of course you're up there in Minnesota where they make the darn things so you know these things. Onan is about fifty blocks from my old house in Nordeast. Like you say, hopefully that's all I did...
Old 12-15-2020, 01:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, booster, that's exactly what I did. I will check the voltage when I get it back up and running. There's no cure for stupid. Of course you're up there in Minnesota where they make the darn things so you know these things. Onan is about fifty blocks from my old house in Nordeast. Like you say, hopefully that's all I did...

Long term nordeaster here. Grew up in Columbia Heights and had a house there from 77 to 93 before we moved out to where we are now.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #10

Default fixed

All fixed... it was a bad breaker. Figured out before I had to take it to rv repair place. Genny looks good too, checked current. It still idles a little rough, at idle it fluctuates 116-121. Warmed up and under load it steadies out and runs smooth.

Thanks guys!