Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

With the cost of an "engine generator", for $2200 or so, I can go for a Magnum Energy "hybrid" inverter and run that from the battery bank. Then, have a decent alternator on the batteries. The result... same functionality, but a lot less wiring. This is why with the Transit upfit, I plan to go this route, where I can have the engine's alternator on, the genset on, both, or neither (for a short time,) and run from batteries.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
With the cost of an "engine generator", for $2200 or so, I can go for a Magnum Energy "hybrid" inverter and run that from the battery bank. Then, have a decent alternator on the batteries. The result... same functionality, but a lot less wiring. This is why with the Transit upfit, I plan to go this route, where I can have the engine's alternator on, the genset on, both, or neither (for a short time,) and run from batteries.
I am trying to envision when we would ever need the hybrid style inverter, and can't come up with any scenario where we would. The 30 amp shore power is always adequate for what we need, as was the generator when we had it in place.

Are you going to have the 110v wiring upsized to handle more than 30 amps out of the inverter, or are you just worried about the AC and microwave starting at the same time? Although that might trip the main breaker.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Beats me!
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote