Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2023, 05:32 AM   #1

Default Location of under chassis batteries

I typed a manuscript and hit post and apparently lost it, so here is a short version:

New purchase of 2015 Road Trek Popular 210. I am looking for access to the two batteries that are supposed to be under the floor with an access panel in the floor, somewhere.

Cant find any access cover.
romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 02:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

the chev will have a chassis battery under the hood for the van

The battery or batteries for the "coach" or " house" ( usual terms) are likely behind an exterior hatch on the pass side in front of the rear wheel - open hatch and usually a latched drawer will slide out.

I don't have a 2015 210, that's my best guess.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I will explain a little more about my dilemma in case someone has a little more information about Road Trek's battery setup.

I do know about all that you mentioned. The previous owner seemed to think there were 4 house batteries, two in the outside accessible cabinet and two more under the floor somewhere mid-chassis with a small hatch (cover) under the hall carpeting. I have no idea why he may be confused about the two extra house batteries, but I starting to think he was dreaming because I cant see anything like batteries when looking under the Rv from the side. He said one really needed to put it on a hoist to get at the batts. I do know that he had a larger inverter installed (3000 watt) due to problems with batteries or charging system, and thought that may be the reason for two more batts to be installed.

The 2015 does not have a slide out tray for the two house batts that are accessed from outside, in front of the passenger rear wheel, and does not have the T-handle to open the compartment, it has wing nut to fasten the compartment cover. This is because it came with AGM batts that dont need water or maintenance.

However, at some point someone replaced the AGM's with wet cell lead acid golf cart, deep cycle batteries AND never maintained them... the terminals are very corroded and since one cannot get at the cell fill caps, probably haven't topped them off with water.

My plan is to replace the wet cells with AGM's, once I find out just exactly how may house batteries there are.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

oh boy, the fun of discovery !

I wonder if a generator was replaced with a battery box ?

I can slide under my chev based pleasure way pretty easy, you could slide under and see what or if anything is built underneath. or get a couple of teh wheels up on blocks ( heavy vehicle - wheels on blocks is safer than trying to lift the whole thing... like for suspension work- for which I use 6 jackstands on the frame rails
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 03:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The 201 Roadtrek Brochure shows a 210 will have two 6v AGMs std and the option of two more, but I don't think the owner's manual shows the locations.

I vaguely remember a similar question in the past, but not sure if it applied to a 210 Roadtrek, or not. It had to do with replacing AGM with lithium I think.

The second two batteries were also 6v and located below the storage area in the rear, on the passenger side, and just inboard of the passenger side side of the storage ares. They were under the floor carpet and had a lift off or screwed on cover. Two batteries line up fore and aft in an underbody box.

If that was a 210 it is likely where yours are.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
oh boy, the fun of discovery !

I wonder if a generator was replaced with a battery box ?

I can slide under my chev based pleasure way pretty easy, you could slide under and see what or if anything is built underneath.
I was thinking about the the generator area also, but my 210 is too low to slide under, and it is a chore for me to slide under anything anymore... I will have my mechanic put it on his hoist

Ron
Old 09-14-2023, 05:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The 201 Roadtrek Brochure shows a 210 will have two 6v AGMs std and the option of two more, but I don't think the owner's manual shows the locations.

I vaguely remember a similar question in the past, but not sure if it applied to a 210 Roadtrek, or not. It had to do with replacing AGM with lithium I think.

The second two batteries were also 6v and located below the storage area in the rear, on the passenger side, and just inboard of the passenger side side of the storage ares. They were under the floor carpet and had a lift off or screwed on cover. Two batteries line up fore and aft in an underbody box.

If that was a 210 it is likely where yours are.
That sounds possible and similar to what the previous owner told me, And would be logical for a location for batteries since the inverter is under the fwd facing couch to the far rignt side of the van, outside of the two wells that I mentioned.

However all carpet from the foot of the twin bed area to the back doors is pretty well fixed and not easily lifted. There are two in-floor wells that have finger hole, lift off covers and are currently empty.

I will look more closely tomorrow.

Thank You,