Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2023, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Generator winter protection from slush

For those of you who travel south only after the snow starts to fly, how do you protect your underneath mounted generators, in case of messy slushy roads?

This is how the generator is mounted on the Peasure-Way I’m considering.

Thanks, Anthony
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6697.jpeg (1.04 MB, 22 views)
AnthonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Interesting question! I have never seen anyone try to cover the generator, but I can see the benefit. I've read threads of generator repairs that start with trying to remove the rusted mounting bolts.

I have an underbody generator too. About all I have been doing is liberal application of corrosion-resistant spray on the mounting bolts and some type of spray terminal coating for the exposed connections on the other side. So far no problem.

Finally, when I do arrive somewhere warm I do my best to spray off the salt residue.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Very hard to do because you also need to not interfere with the air cooling of the generator.

Probably adding some splash guards to catch the big stuff, but blocking the swirling spray would take a tight box, I think, and some way to keep it cool.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Trying to protect a genset from under-vehicle winter spray is a fool's errand. Any kind of covering is likely to trap and hold salt, making things worse. @JohnNM has the right idea. Spray will protective products, and wash down whenever possible,

Here's a relevant story:
The DeLorean, although having a totally rust-proof SS body, has a mild steel frame, which was thus rust prone. Aware of the problem, they coated the frames with epoxy. This was great, except that after a few years, the epoxy formed cracks. The cracks collected and held salt spray, often causing severe rusting. They likely would have been better off without the epoxy.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Funny question-
( when I lived in TO my 77 El Camino died due to rust in 1984... and some Canadians may remember the "Another Rusty Ford" stickers of the 70's)

I live in AZ and the only part of my PW which displays some surface rust is the genny, the van has never seen salt.

( link to pic below- I have trouble posting pics here)

I would guess that if you have traveled salt roads that you hose down the underneath when you can.

On my 2006 Lexor the area between the chevy body and the PW moulding at each rear corner looks like it could hold salty slush
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Just one suggestion: The generator is probably held by 4 mounting bolts on the bottom edge. Mine were not rusted, so I took them out one by one and applied some anti seize compound to them--just in case.

My guess is your unit would have good mudflaps too. With the generator centered, it does not pick up quite as much slush as you might expect.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #7

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate your ideas. I'm going to do all of the above! Anti-seize to the bolts (so I can get the darned thing open again), anti rust spray & mudflaps. The mudflaps really hadn't even crossed my mind. And I'll forget trying to make a cover for it.

I'll report back in the spring on how things look.

Anthony
Old 09-11-2023, 09:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyT View Post
Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate your ideas. I'm going to do all of the above! Anti-seize to the bolts (so I can get the darned thing open again), anti rust spray & mudflaps. The mudflaps really hadn't even crossed my mind. And I'll forget trying to make a cover for it.

I'll report back in the spring on how things look.

Anthony

Probably not the best to use the spray "undercoast" type spray stuff to rust proof. I would take a look at LPS3 which is a designated rust proofing spray that drys to a waxy film and also will get in more areas. It is smelly when you put it on, but that goes away. If you spray it before putting it back in just let it sit for a few days and in the sun better yet.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Probably not the best to use the spray "undercoast" type spray stuff to rust proof. I would take a look at LPS3 which is a designated rust proofing spray that drys to a waxy film and also will get in more areas. It is smelly when you put it on, but that goes away. If you spray it before putting it back in just let it sit for a few days and in the sun better yet.
Absolutely agree. Either the waxy or the oily stuff. In Canada you can get Rust Check and Krown brands in spray cans. They are oil based sprays. It wipes off but sand sometimes sticks to it. I have to check what else I may have as a rush inhibitor, that might be a thinner consistency, Fluid Film maybe?
Old 09-11-2023, 10:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyT View Post
Absolutely agree. Either the waxy or the oily stuff. In Canada you can get Rust Check and Krown brands in spray cans. They are oil based sprays. It wipes off but sand sometimes sticks to it. I have to check what else I may have as a rush inhibitor, that might be a thinner consistency, Fluid Film maybe?

We are in Minnesota and had our van done with Rust Check at a place in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Never again for me. The stuff was a white snot like substance that hung on for a long time, and most of it is still there. The frame and some other underbody has some spray undercoat type tarry stuff on them and RC melted it and turned it into a black slimy mess, now with scads of dirt in it also. I look like I took a bath in black slime every time I have work to do under the van. The areas where I have LPS3 on other vehicles are nearly dry with the waxy surface that doesn't get all over me. Can,t say for Crown and I have never seen it on a vehicle.

Tags
onan 2800, winter protection