Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #21
Platinum Member

this is an obvious Onan move against big inverter/lithumbattery/extra alternator systems.

the only thing that made these big systems desirable was because of the Onan sound racket.

just my opinion.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
this is an obvious Onan move against big inverter/lithumbattery/extra alternator systems.

the only thing that made these big systems desirable was because of the Onan sound racket.

just my opinion.

For AC users off batteries absolutely true you need a big lithium bank to be practical for more than short times.

For those of us that just want to run the microwave, maybe a haidryer, or such, AGMs are fine without a generator.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
In the past 2-3 months as I've "exercised" the generator more, it now starts and run flawlessly. Even sounds quieter.

motor which is running a little rich or the spark timing a little retarded* can be a a little louder

as you run the genny, the carb is self cleaning and metering the fuel more accurately

probably is quieter

Mike

*some of my classic motorcycles require manual spark timing adjustments on the fly as well as carb jetting adjustments
the "correct" settings are seat of the pants with sound being part of it

most have a lawn mower with a manual choke, close the choke just a little bit and the smooth running becomes louder distinct "pops"
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
No that is incorrect: 3db is a doubling in sound pressure level, 6db is X4, 10db is 10X and 20db is X100. That said, as far as what we perceive is different: 10db, although 10X the SPL, is perceived as roughly twice as loud.
This is correct. There is physical/electrical intensity and intensity of perception by a human being.

It is one of those mysteries of human physiology.
RVB Fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i looked at the sound chart for the old onan. it says 70 decibels.

the new inverter model says 65.

since sound levels are logarithmic- this new model should be 5 times less loud

than the current model. I'd have to hear it BUT if it is truly what it says it is than this is ANOTHER sea change for b's.

from everything i;ve read the L models of Travato are about 25,000 dollars more.
getting this new onan model probably would just add a couple thousand to the base model with generator.

lithium batteries would not be required. agm or tppl agm would probably be the way to go.

no extra alternator,worries about protecting batteries etc.
Not 5 times less loud, but quieter... 😗
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Does anyone know how I can check to see if the QG 2800i could replace our model?
It is C110201433
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Not 5 times less loud, but quieter... 😗
i had brain freeze at the time-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Hi: Here is link to new Coachmen 2021 Beyond. Comes with new Onan 2800i generator. They are just on market now for coach builders. Anyone know if they are available for aftermarket people?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Oh, so close! I was sure he'd go outside and let us hear the Ultra, Ultra, Ultra quiet Onan inverter generator. But no.

And a youtube search did not turn up anything either. Waiting . . . .

One beneficial effect of my slowing decling hearing is that my old resonator equipped Onan just keeps on getting quiter. Not Ultra quiet yet, but getting there.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:30 PM   #30
Gold Member

The model number of the new Onan QG2800i is HGLLA-8303A for the Ca emissions generator. It is bit smaller than the KV but Onan has a Retro fit bracket model number A0435935 to fit the KV bracket. The exhaust could utilize Onan 36" tailpipe A046F728 if the hitch bracket is out of the way. For my 02C190P it appears that the Remote Starter switch and cable is the same on the KV and the new model. It is much quieter than the KV , uses about .4 gallon of gas per hour at full load which is less that the .46 for the KV. It has fuel injection vs the troublesome carb. I'm beginning to think, it is a much better investment than spending $2000 to service the KV if you have the $4500 for the Genny and parts plus installation expense.
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorman View Post
The model number of the new Onan QG2800i is HGLLA-8303A for the Ca emissions generator. It is bit smaller than the KV but Onan has a Retro fit bracket model number A0435935 to fit the KV bracket. The exhaust could utilize Onan 36" tailpipe A046F728 if the hitch bracket is out of the way. For my 02C190P it appears that the Remote Starter switch and cable is the same on the KV and the new model. It is much quieter than the KV , uses about .4 gallon of gas per hour at full load which is less that the .46 for the KV. It has fuel injection vs the troublesome carb. I'm beginning to think, it is a much better investment than spending $2000 to service the KV if you have the $4500 for the Genny and parts plus installation expense.
Changed out my Onan non inverter for the new 2800i in 2021. I had to wait for them to become available to the retail public. Sold old unit for $975.00 Nothing wrong with the old unit. Just very loud and obtrusive. The new Onan 2800i is very quiet. It does not vibrate near as much. There have been times, when I left the van to go outside to make sure it was still running. That is how quiet it is inside. Just changed the oil for second time. First time was 20 hours. Than I change annually which around 50-75 hours of use/exercise.