Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Onan Generator Draining House Batteries

I can't figure this one out. I've got a 2013 Roadtrek 210 popular with an Onan 2800. It's been sitting through the winter and the house batteries are low. The inverter is slowly charging the batteries and the House batteries are low (10.8V), when I start the generator and let it run the voltage on the batteries drops slowly losing voltage as it runs. I stopped the generator at 9.3v. Any ideas as to why the voltage would drop? Is it just that the batteries are so low?
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
I can't figure this one out. I've got a 2013 Roadtrek 210 popular with an Onan 2800. It's been sitting through the winter and the house batteries are low. The inverter is slowly charging the batteries and the House batteries are low (10.8V), when I start the generator and let it run the voltage on the batteries drops slowly losing voltage as it runs. I stopped the generator at 9.3v. Any ideas as to why the voltage would drop? Is it just that the batteries are so low?

What batteries does it have in it? Was it on shore power? What charger does it have in it. Older batteries, especially wet cells, even AGM may go do down that far over a winter if there was load on them and not charging.

If it is not charging right, neither shore or genny will charge the batteries, and maybe not the van engine either but it probably would and you could try that first.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Gold Member

Sounds like your inverter/converter is not putting out DC when on generator. Multimeter will tell you what happens when you start it.... 14.4 volts is what you should get.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote