Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2023, 02:24 AM   #1

Smile Remove Fuel Tank in 2000 Roadtrek 190P

My generator fuel line has an air leak at the connection on top of the tank. The connecting nipple is loose. I need to drop the tank to repair or replace the generator fuel line connection. I don't see how to disconnect the fuel inlet and vent hoses without first lowering the tank, but I don't know how much play, if any, there is in those hoses to lower the tank to access them. I assume there is slack in the other fuel and electrical connections to the fuel pump. Any other advice is welcome also!
Very much appreciated!!
Jupiterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #2

Hello I had to replace my fuel pump in my 2001 Dodge RT back in April of this year. The tank has to be dropped enough to be able to access the top hoses. The main problem for me was draining the tank and disconnecting the fuel filler hose to the tank. Access to the filler hose is from the side compartment, next to the outside shower connection. Hope this info helps some.
hecbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks hecbom for replying. Yes a forum member thoughtfully PM'd me and pointed out the side compartment last week. I removed the panel and see how to do it now. One issue is that the filler and vent hoses have gotten so hard I will have to cut them off w/o damaging the metal tubes and replace them. Looks like I also may have to remove a protective shroud and a large black tank line that is against the side of the fuel tank for a couple of feet to pull the tank out and down to drop it.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Is it possible/preferable to open up the floor and access the tank connections from the top?

I installed a round 8" hatch in our non-Roadtrek Safari Trek to install a new fuel pump, Chevy chassis. This saved out bacon on a trip as the Delphi fuel pump failed after 14 months in a trip. The now easy access was a wonderful thing for pump replacement on the side of the road on AR highway 7.

Just a different way to skin this cat, if possible. Good luck.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:00 PM   #5

Thanks Steve, We just traveled Ark 7 a couple months ago after enjoying the Buffalo River. Beautiful area of the Ozarks. I went to my (now ex) RV dealer and they wanted nothing to do with the repair due to my Roadtrek being older. Shops in the area wanted nothing to do with it either, being an RV. So been doing this myself. Great idea on the access. I did look at that but the location was not feasible. For now, I'm installing a small auxiliary tank in my side storage compartment as I don't use the genny a lot, and only for short durations. I know how to drop the tank now thanks to the posters here and some reading, so I may go ahead and do that in the future.

Tags
2000, fuel tank, generator, roadtrek