Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 02:16 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Removing Onan Genny/under 1998 dodge van

So,with 153 hours on the Onan 2.8 kv-fa, it would not stay running. Took it out from under the 1998 b-3500 coachouse. Ripped apart diagnosed, checked for parts. Yes, I can get them,but, expensive and not a reliable Genny. SO... want to Costco and bought a champion 4500 surge/3500 running inverter Genny. I LIKE IT. Quieter than Onan, and more power. May miss the starting from inside the van with the Onan button, but, I believe this will be more reliable.( NO, in Canada , Costco did not sell the champion with the remote fob start) To the question now. ..where the Onan was wired into the van, I replaced with a length (8 ft) of 10 gauge wire and a 125v 20amp plug. I am thinking ,plug this into the Genny,with the original wiring in the van, the transfer switch should do its thing ,CORRECT? This will be to run at most, a nesspresso machine and water pump at the same time. A/C, I will plug in the 30 amp plug on the side of the van/Genny. Does anybody foresee any issues with the operation of the transfer switch? Thanks for the tips!
Frumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default ..Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumpster View Post
So,with 153 hours on the Onan 2.8 kv-fa, it would not stay running. Took it out from under the 1998 b-3500 coachouse. Ripped apart diagnosed, checked for parts. Yes, I can get them,but, expensive and not a reliable Genny. SO... want to Costco and bought a champion 4500 surge/3500 running inverter Genny. I LIKE IT. Quieter than Onan, and more power. May miss the starting from inside the van with the Onan button, but, I believe this will be more reliable.( NO, in Canada , Costco did not sell the champion with the remote fob start) To the question now. ..where the Onan was wired into the van, I replaced with a length (8 ft) of 10 gauge wire and a 125v 20amp plug. I am thinking ,plug this into the Genny,with the original wiring in the van, the transfer switch should do its thing ,CORRECT? This will be to run at most, a nesspresso machine and water pump at the same time. A/C, I will plug in the 30 amp plug on the side of the van/Genny. Does anybody foresee any issues with the operation of the transfer switch? Thanks for the tips!
Yes, should work.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
To the question now. ..where the Onan was wired into the van, I replaced with a length (8 ft) of 10 gauge wire and a 125v 20amp plug.
If the genset has a 30A outlet, I'd use that instead of the 20A so the weakest link is not the camper to genset connection.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Good advice!
Old 08-28-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
Bronze Member

how are you getting gas to the generator?
Old 08-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

A Jerry can. I have also put a fuel shut off switch on the old Onan fuel line and extended the fuel line ,tucked it up under the van,so if I need to access it,it is easy. I figure I will siphon from the main tank,if needed. Plugged the Genny into the van yesterday,worked great. Goodbye Onan.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
A Jerry can. I have also put a fuel shut off switch on the old Onan fuel line and extended the fuel line ,tucked it up under the van,so if I need to access it,it is easy. I figure I will siphon from the main tank,if needed. Plugged the Genny into the van yesterday,worked great. Goodbye Onan.
I also eliminated the POS Onan and used an inverter Champion with remote key fob starting.

I installed a switched low pressure 12 volt fuel pump, extension hose and small ball valve to the existing fuel line. This assembly was long enough to reach the gas tank of the genny. This eliminated double handling of the gas and there was no need to stow a gas can.

Have fun.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Onan Genny/under 1998 Dodge van

So, where does this new generator live? Did you install it somehow where the Onan was? I’d love to see a picture of this and how you Dealt wit the exhaust under the van. If not under van, where do you keep it?
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm also curious to where you've placed your new genny. Does it fit where the Onan was or are you carrying it on a platform hitch? A quieter genny that is more accessible would be nice.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Yes,on a platform hitch.lots of room under the rear of the van where the Onan use to reside. Storage of some sort may go there. I have the 4 studs that use to hold the Onan ,still in place. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes,on a platform hitch.lots of room under the rear of the van where the Onan use to reside. Storage of some sort may go there. I have the 4 studs that use to hold the Onan ,still in place. Any suggestions?
Some people who've gotten solar have gotten rid of their Onans and put their additional batteries there.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Hmmm...I am sorry to say, but solar won't do what my generator can. I like to bake bread in my convection microwave. Solar is also adding way more weight,after you add the extra batteries. Also, a Genny let's the bears know you are around.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:24 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmmm...I am sorry to say, but solar won't do what my generator can. I like to bake bread in my convection microwave. Solar is also adding way more weight,after you add the extra batteries. Also, a Genny let's the bears know you are around.
I only told you what other people have used the space for. I haven't seen any other uses for the space. I've seen several people on this group and other Class B forums that have gotten rid of the generator because they never used it. Some people have enough solar to power their microwave, just not their A/C. I wasn't saying you needed to add solar. Make a storage box or whatever else you want for the space instead!
Old 09-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Yes, I understand. Sorry if I came off wrong. I like my Genny.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
Some people who've gotten solar have gotten rid of their Onans and put their additional batteries there.
I would love to see some pictures of this I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #16
Bronze Member

How do I post pic?
Old 09-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #17
Silver Member

Quote:
How do I post pic?
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...sics-3565.html

Post #8
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Try to load 3 pics.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Well,that didn't work,did it?
Old 09-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Untill I can never computer literate, let me say, just put Genny under receiver platform,cover with tarp,and firewood, and you have a rain-tent for the Genny.