Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Replace Tripp Lite Inverter with New Tech

Has anyone replaced a Tripp Lite Inverter in a Roadtrek 210 with a more modern unit? The existing one is $600+ and some alternatives are cheaper.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
Has anyone replaced a Tripp Lite Inverter in a Roadtrek 210 with a more modern unit? The existing one is $600+ and some alternatives are cheaper.
I have, and the main consideration was getting a model that fit the space available. Otherwise, it mostly a matter of moving the pos/neg. 12 cables and the 120v In/Out from the old unit to the new one safely. In my case it included changing the cable ends to ones suitable for the new unit.

The above is based on replacing a combined Inverter/Charger with another combined Inverter/Charger. I suggest you get a model that is lithium compatible (all are backwards compatible to lead-acid) just in case you want to do a lithium upgrade later.

PS- If you just need a Tripplite RV750UL because your old one went out, and don't plan on upgrading batteries or Inverter rating now, I have a working one from my '2012 Airstream Avenue that I replaced when I did a full lithium upgrade. I will send it to anyone interested for shipping charges. Probably $25-$40. I don't have the remote wall panel, but it should work with your existing panel if yours is a same or similar model.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I have, and the main consideration was getting a model that fit the space available. Otherwise, it mostly a matter of moving the pos/neg. 12 cables and the 120v In/Out from the old unit to the new one safely. In my case it included changing the cable ends to ones suitable for the new unit.

The above is based on replacing a combined Inverter/Charger with another combined Inverter/Charger. I suggest you get a model that is lithium compatible (all are backwards compatible to lead-acid) just in case you want to do a lithium upgrade later.

PS- If you just need a Tripplite RV750UL because your old one went out, and don't plan on upgrading batteries or Inverter rating now, I have a working one from my '2012 Airstream Avenue that I replaced when I did a full lithium upgrade. I will send it to anyone interested for shipping charges. Probably $25-$40. I don't have the remote wall panel, but it should work with your existing panel if yours is a same or similar model.
I am interested. Will send a PM.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:

May I ask what did you replace it with?
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
May I ask what did you replace it with?
A Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger (same size as their 2000W unit) just to have a lithium compatible model big enough for any potential future needs. But just so you know, a 750W microwave uses just under 1200 watts. I guess the extra 400+ watts are due to inefficiency just go get 750 watts into the food. So two 100Ah lithium batteries and a 2000W inverter are minimum to use the microwave.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
A Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger (same size as their 2000W unit) just to have a lithium compatible model big enough for any potential future needs. But just so you know, a 750W microwave uses just under 1200 watts. I guess the extra 400+ watts are due to inefficiency just go get 750 watts into the food. So two 100Ah lithium batteries and a 2000W inverter are minimum to use the microwave.
I’m running an 1100 watt microwave with two 100ah lithium batteries and a 1500 watt Samlex sine wave inverter.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I’m running an 1100 watt microwave with two 100ah lithium batteries and a 1500 watt Samlex sine wave inverter.
You are probably right at the limit, as my home 1100W microwave draws around 1500 watts. I mentioned a 2000W inverter because many manufacturers jump in 1000 watt increments with their models..
Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

As long as it is good, not necessarily top of the line, PSW inverter, a 1500 watt inverter should be fine. We used a midline Samlex 1500 watt and it ran out Dometic microwave fine, even on 260ah of wet cells.

At the time, we had a separate charger and inverter, which worked fine but does entail more wiring. Now that we have a large enough inverter/charger I have certainly grown to appreciated the less wiring simplicity of it, plus it makes all the neutral to ground bonding questions a non issue because it is all done internally in the unit automatically. The bonding issues are coming up as questions more often lately, I think, and IMO it is a good thing to understand and address correctly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote