Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2023, 06:08 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I have found the 10-amp limitation on the Yeti 1000x DC port to be kind of inconvenient.
Agreed, it is borderline. In my case the 10a/120w are just so enough to run everything we usually run, but not enough for higher currency devices (like extending the awning, or starting the generator). Those things could be accomplished with the chassis battery though.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
So you are trying to charge the camper house batteries from the power station 110v output? I haven't tried that, I am running the camper 12v accessories directly from the 12v outputs of the PS.
Yes. I'm trying to avoid any re-wiring because it's very difficult in my van, although adding the PowerPoles in parallel would be doable if i was sure it would work and be useful.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
So you are trying to charge the camper house batteries from the power station 110v output? I haven't tried that, I am running the camper 12v accessories directly from the 12v outputs of the PS.
Yes, my power bank is wired directly to the AGM house battery under the passenger seat. The idea is to supplement the power available from that battery. It was simple to implement but has the drawback of being overloaded if the house battery has a low state of charge and draws a lot of current when I connect the Yeti.

It was never my intention to charge the house battery from the Yeti, but the simplistic approach I took has that result.

The next step is to add a DPDT switch, as you described in #16, to isolate the house battery when I want to power things with the Yeti.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:46 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Yes. I'm trying to avoid any re-wiring because it's very difficult in my van, although adding the PowerPoles in parallel would be doable if i was sure it would work and be useful.
I am not sure about your specific situation, but it can be as simple as turning off the house battery disconnect/switch and plugging the 12V output of the PS into one of the 12V (cigarette lighter) ports in your camper.
Re-wiring can make things a bit more convenient, but it is not necessary.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:00 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am not sure about your specific situation, but it can be as simple as turning off the house battery disconnect/switch and plugging the 12V output of the PS into one of the 12V (cigarette lighter) ports in your camper.
Re-wiring can make things a bit more convenient, but it is not necessary.
This worked perfectly for me. I was kind of afraid of back-feeding the 12-volt circuit through a cigarette lighter port, but since I've reduced my immediate goal to just running the refrigerator, some lights and the water pump, this technique will do the job.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:53 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I wanted to circle around and report my findings one year after I purchased a 100Ah (1228Wh) LiFePO4 Power Station (PS) to see how I could integrate it into my campers electrical system.

1) My thought was to see if there is a way to "ease into" LFP batteries, aka "drop in solution", meaning using the existing setup in combination with LFP technology. Besides, I wanted some electrical backup for my home in case of power outages (to run the refrigerator and my aquarium pumps).

2) As you perhaps know, these Power Stations are basically batteries with an added inverter, MPPT solar charger, and a few other ins and outs so basically the campers inverter, SCC, etc are not needed and don't need to be upgraded to be Li compatible.

3) There are two issues I found with my particular PS, the first one seems to apply to most of them, while the second one just to this particular one:
a) The 12V output maxes out at 10A, so you can't pull much more than 120W on the 12V circuit out of them. Of course they deliver 1000W via the inverter, but that conversion/inversion wastes some wattage and I am an efficiency freak, trying to keep everything at the 12V level.
b) The max charge power for my particular PS is 180W, which makes recharging it via generator pointless unless you have it running anyway (for air condition, for example)
4) My camping energy usage is about 600Wh in 24h. That means, from a fully charged battery, I can run the camper for 2 full days without any recharging the PS. We almost never go to places where we can plug in, so shore power is pretty much not an option.

5) I have a 190W solar panel on the roof, and a fold-able 100W solar panel that I can strategically place on the roof or windshield or around the camper. There are many situations which affect solar collection, but in general terms, we usually camp in open areas, rarely see clouds, and in Summer, this allows us to easily keep batteries fully charged and boon-dock for unlimited periods.

6) In Winter, and in partially shaded areas, there will be less energy collection, but usually there is some which will extend the battery duration to around four days. If there is no solar collection, as mentioned above, I need to do something after two full days.

7) Besides solar charging (120W max), I can also charge via DC (120W max at ~24V, more like 80W at 13.5V) and USB-C (60W) via a socket I installed. Solar and DC is mutually exclusive, so it is 120W + 60W USB-C for a total of 180W.

8 ) All of this ignores the AGM coach batteries I have currently in the camper. I am planning to dump them when their lifespan is reduced (or now, if I can find an interested buyer), and replace them with a small (35Wh) AGM battery instead. This will act as a buffer, and allow me to charge the PS while driving, remove the PS easily as desired, start generator, extend awning, etc.

9) That is pretty much my LFP conversion. I have considered adding another solar panel to the roof, or moving the existing one back a bit to add some distance from the AC box which shades it if the sun is low and coming from the front. Or add some brackets which will allow adjusting the panels angle to optimize solar collection. None of this is really necessary at the moment as most of the time, I only go camping for two days (Fri afternoon - Sun afternoon). Longer trips usually involve regular driving, so still plenty of opportunity to top off the PS.

10) Everyone is different, your energy consumption and charging etc will all vary and may be completely incompatible with the ideas described in this post.