Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 03:32 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Wiring Diagram

I have a 2006 RT 190V. My rear under bed light is only receiving 2VDC so I am looking for the wiring diagram to troubleshoot this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
55 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If you are talking about a light just inside the rear door, driver’s side, floor I would expect the voltage drop is within the light fixture, probably the switch. I removed the bulb years ago as moving items would turn the light on killing the battery.

Look within the fixture for your problem, You can determine which fuse powers it by removing them one at a time. Having a wiring diagram probably won’t help you much.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Silver Member

Default Wiring Diagram

Yes it is that light. I measured voltage at the input side of the switch. Also at the splice about 4" before switch. That is a good point about the switch as I didn't think about that.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Nomad View Post
Yes it is that light. I measured voltage at the input side of the switch. Also at the splice about 4" before switch. That is a good point about the switch as I didn't think about that.
Good practice when troubleshooting 12v systems. Remember that every fixture has two current wires, the 12v “line” and the “ground”. Most people assume that a voltage problem is the line voltage and simply use the ground point on the fixture as the other connection. But in an RV it is at least as likely for the ground to become disconnected through corrosion or some other detachment from the path of conductivity.

In your case, I suggest using a known ground point for your meter, something metal that for certain has a conductive path to the vehicle chassis. If you then get a 12v reading at from your supply line at the fixture, then you know the ground is the problem, not the supply. A low voltage reading at your light fixture would definitely point at a corroded ground contact. And much easier to repair, if you can’t find where the discontinuity is, you can put another screw through to metal if grounded or run a new wire to the nearest/easiest ground point.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:02 AM   #5
Silver Member

I ran a good jumper wire from a good ground point directly to the light socket base. I get 2 VDC on the positive wire in the socket and the splice 4" from the socket.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Gold Member

Okay. You’re obviously well aware of the current flow through the ground. I thought I would start with the basics since the ground wasn’t mentioned in earlier posts. I think you’re on the right track trying to find a wiring diagram to track the supply wire.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote