Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #201
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek Zion -- inverter questions

... But there is a fan or small motor blowing or running under the jump seat when ever I'm plugged into shore power and have the inverter on ... You don't notice the noise if you're watching tv or if the roof air is on, but once the air cycles off then you here the 12v inverter "fan" and it won't stop until you get up and manually flip off the inverter switch.
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 AM   #202
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAislandgirl View Post
... But there is a fan or small motor blowing or running under the jump seat when ever I'm plugged into shore power and have the inverter on ... You don't notice the noise if you're watching tv or if the roof air is on, but once the air cycles off then you here the 12v inverter "fan" and it won't stop until you get up and manually flip off the inverter switch.
Yep, that is the cooling fan in the inverter and you are not the first to find it annoying...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #203
Bronze Member

Haven't heard the inverter blower fan lately, should I be concerned ???
Old 06-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #204
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haven't heard the inverter blower fan lately, should I be concerned ???
It may only come on when needed to keep it cool.

If everything is working normally I wouldn't worry about it...
Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #205

Yep Greg is right and he is also a wealth of info.... hope to see you on the FB page. We had the same coolant issue with our first Zion. RT replaced the whole Zion. Yes, we are on Zion number 2. I can't believe anyone is still having this issue. When we took delivery on the 1st Zion we drove 14 miles and then had to be flatbedded back to the dealer also!!!!
ZiOsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #206
Bronze Member

My new Roadtrek Zion tankless hot water doesn't seem to work. The switch is "on"
The propane is on, the water is connected. When I open a hot water valve, I hear a click but that's it, I let the water keep running but never gets warm. The heat exhaust vent is cold, the red round lite is not on, nor does it ever flash to indicate error. My roof a/c runs and never turns off. Set the thermostat for 86F and it runs and runs, placed a household Mercury thermometer on the sofa, Mercury dropped to 82F. Then I turned off a/c all the way. Pressed the "+" button on the dometic thermostat and read 90F. I am so, so, screwwed.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #207
Bronze Member

Nobody has offered to give me another RV. The GFCI breaker was tripped and wouldn't reset, GFCI outlets dead. Few days later got the breaker bak into the "on" position, but the little white "test" button won't push in and trip the breaker. I am so, so screeewed.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #208
Platinum Member

If you want the help of a lot of Zion owners you should consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook...
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #209
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
If you want the help of a lot of Zion owners you should consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook...
I'll give Facebook a try -- just not fond of Facebook.
This is the third RT I've owned, had a brand new Agile Mercedes Chasis no problems,
Had brand new 190 on a Chev only problem was roof air made water circles on the ceiling in a bad storm got fixed no problem. But the salesman delivered this Zion to m e at my house at 8pm at night to sign all the papers and do the closing. Next morning no coolant, had to get flatbedded which took a week to get appt, got it back home and a lot of things don't work and the soonest appt I can get a RT repair is 7/12. The selling dealership wouldn't give me back my trade, the very next morning after they dropped off the Zion that I had to have flatbedded. Chrysler roadside asst paid to have it towed over an hour away, and it wasn't Chryslers fault it was RT who incorrectly routed hose that caused pulley to rub hole in hose and they didn't use the standoff clamp. And my Zion was made well after RT initial hose re-route problem.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #210
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll give Facebook a try -- just not fond of Facebook.
This is the third RT I've owned, had a brand new Agile Mercedes Chasis no problems,
Had brand new 190 on a Chev only problem was roof air made water circles on the ceiling in a bad storm got fixed no problem. But the salesman delivered this Zion to m e at my house at 8pm at night to sign all the papers and do the closing. Next morning no coolant, had to get flatbedded which took a week to get appt, got it back home and a lot of things don't work and the soonest appt I can get a RT repair is 7/12. The selling dealership wouldn't give me back my trade, the very next morning after they dropped off the Zion that I had to have flatbedded. Chrysler roadside asst paid to have it towed over an hour away, and it wasn't Chryslers fault it was RT who incorrectly routed hose that caused pulley to rub hole in hose and they didn't use the standoff clamp. And my Zion was made well after RT initial hose re-route problem.
How has the service group at Roadtrek responded to your problems?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #211
Bronze Member

Len and TAMMY at RT got me the 7/12/16 service appt but I haven't been really able to use my Zion since it was dropped off on 6/4/2016 and it was supposed to act as my second car.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #212

Hi folks, I'm Janie, originally from New Brunswick, living in Ontario. I have no RV experience, but have done my due diligence on research, and was about to pay cash for a 2001 Pleasureway last night. Here I sit, in a B&B, waiting for the dealer's counter offer. They tell me they're selling on behalf of their buddy, the owner-dealer ("He won't budge!"). The buddy bought it at an Alberta auction, no doubt with stars in his eyes. He planned to get it to Newfoundland and sell it for a tidy profit there, but seems it's been sitting for months here in this little town. Somewhere along the line there was a fire in this motorhome's engine. The responses are all innocence and oblivion as to the cause of the fire and extent of damage. My new-found local mechanic, and my own PPI, say the PW checks out fine otherwise, but cautions me to come in low, partly because of the melted cowl and damaged hood I'll need to address, but mainly because of the unknowns, rendered by rust and high heat, that could come back to bite me. Any other vehicle, you'd walk away, right? I love Class B's, but the desire for one puts stars in my eyes too. It makes people crazy.
Emjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #213
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaycee View Post
Hi folks, I'm Janie, originally from New Brunswick, living in Ontario. I have no RV experience, but have done my due diligence on research, and was about to pay cash for a 2001 Pleasureway last night. Here I sit, in a B&B, waiting for the dealer's counter offer. They tell me they're selling on behalf of their buddy, the owner-dealer ("He won't budge!"). The buddy bought it at an Alberta auction, no doubt with stars in his eyes. He planned to get it to Newfoundland and sell it for a tidy profit there, but seems it's been sitting for months here in this little town. Somewhere along the line there was a fire in this motorhome's engine. The responses are all innocence and oblivion as to the cause of the fire and extent of damage. My new-found local mechanic, and my own PPI, say the PW checks out fine otherwise, but cautions me to come in low, partly because of the melted cowl and damaged hood I'll need to address, but mainly because of the unknowns, rendered by rust and high heat, that could come back to bite me. Any other vehicle, you'd walk away, right? I love Class B's, but the desire for one puts stars in my eyes too. It makes people crazy.
Fire in the engine? I won't touch it.
Listen to your inner voice.
Lot's of fish in the ocean.
That's just me. YMMV
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #214
Bronze Member

Quote:
Wow. Don't know what to say. Brand new class B problematic enough, an older unit could have lots of issues. How old is the propane tank, regulators, gas lines have they been replaced during the life of the unit? AC, Furance, carbon monoxide detectors, etc.
Roof leaks? How old are tires, could have good thread but bad dry rot and blowout risk.
Just some questions about general over all safety. Drive it and see if it floats.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #215
Platinum Member

It is most likely for sale as is, unrepaired, because it will be cost prohibitive to fix it, and the seller knows it.

Engine fires can cause a whole lot of hidden damage from the heat, especially in a van where almost all the wiring is right around the engine, as is the dash. Anyplace you see melted plastic, you could also have melted insulation on the wiring which could show up now, or later. You also don't know if the wires shorted during the fire and melted other wiring outside the fire area.

Think about how many hands this has gone through. Probably and owner, a dealer who got it from the owner or insurance company, the auction, the current owner, another dealer on consignment. Very tough to get any information. Did the furnish a Carfax? Clean title?

Unless it was very, very, cheap and I was a hard core DIY mechanic who could put in everything from the seats forward with used parts, myself, I would run, not walk, from this unit, based on the discription.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #216
Platinum Member

Quote:
...was about to pay cash for a 2001 Pleasureway last night..... ("He won't budge!"). .... seems it's been sitting for months here in this little town. Somewhere along the line there was a fire in this motorhome's engine..... unknowns, rendered by rust and high heat, that could come back to bite me. Any other vehicle, you'd walk away, right? I love Class B's, but the desire for one puts stars in my eyes too. It makes people crazy.
It's really tough when you find the one you want but something, price, troubles, doubt, whatever, just isn't right...
I passed on several units I thought were "once in a lifetime deals", and in hindsight am SO glad I skipped them and waited for EXACTLY what I wanted..

Only you can decide if it is the unit for you, but be assured, your "perfect" rig is out there.. somewhere...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #217

Hi. I retired last year, but Susan is still working. We live in Nebraska; anyone who lives in the Great Plains knows how windy it is here! We don't have an RV, yet- but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we take the plunge. Some of the Class B's (the newer ones, in particular), seem taller than they are wide. Isn't it hard to drive these in 30 to 40 mph wind? If anyone has experience with this, please shed some light. At this point, I'm leaning toward one of the older, wider models. Many thanks!
Martha and Susan
WCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #218
Bronze Member

In 2008 I drove my 2008 Roadtrek Agile that was built on a Freightliner Chasis Deisel through a horrible wind storm from Colorado Springs to Lamar Colorado. Big rigs and other vehicles had pulled off the road because the wind was brutal, but I just kept trucking on down the road. A few years later I drove a Roadtrek 190 2012 on a Chevorlet Chasis -- it was a little wider and a little shorter but it didn't handle the wind like the Mercedes Agile Freight Liner. Some RV's "float" on the road when there's hardly any wind -- experienced that on a B+ Ford Chasis. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 AM   #219
Bronze Member

Have a 2014 ERA which is the 3500 series. Wife and I both drove through some very strong winds in Wyoming. Interstate was not closed. We both felt pretty comfortable. Reduced speed 10 mph and thought unit handled wind gust pretty good with limited sway. FWIW
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #220

Thank you for your reply. If there were lots of other affordable used B's, I would walk. To clarify -- The owner will certify before selling, so all safety issues will supposedly be addressed. I've done a thorough PPI as best I could, and my mechanic, who has worked on B's, has checked it over. Not sure about hoses etc. that may need replacing, but the appliances, lights, windows, etc. are all working. 2 new batteries, no generator ( but oddly, has an Onan panel) No creaks or rattles and feels like a good drive. One owner, no liens or accidents on the car fax report. With taxes inc. the cost would be $26,000 CDN. Today is the day I decide. Would you go for it if you were me?
Emjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote