Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2023, 06:00 PM   #1

Default 2005 Chevy Express AWD oil pan removal

Im struggling to find a service manual for the AWD model so hoping someone has some insight.

leaking oil pan gasket on a 2005 Chevy Express G1500 Camper Van 5.3L AWD, trying to find out if the engine cross member needs to be removed prior to starting this project. I believe the GMC savannah AWD has the same drive train and suspension button 100%.

Thanks in advance.
j_norman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_norman1983 View Post
Im struggling to find a service manual for the AWD model so hoping someone has some insight.

leaking oil pan gasket on a 2005 Chevy Express G1500 Camper Van 5.3L AWD, trying to find out if the engine cross member needs to be removed prior to starting this project. I believe the GMC savannah AWD has the same drive train and suspension button 100%.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like it does not need to be removed and the engine doesn't need lifting either so pretty easy. Be aware that the pan is structural on these engines so using the correct gasketing and bolt torque and sequence pattern are of critical importance.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:38 PM   #3

I did find that video but the cross member there looks a little different so I'm assuming it was a RWD model, mine has 2 parallel bolts on each side(no offset) and a 3rd slightly higher up which was my concern as there appears to be less clearance on mine than the video.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did find that video but the cross member there looks a little different so I'm assuming it was a RWD model, mine has 2 parallel bolts on each side(no offset) and a 3rd slightly higher up which was my concern as there appears to be less clearance on mine than the video.

The 1500s had different suspension in the front, I didn't notice you said it was a 1500, and AWD changes a bunch also. Generally they may also sit a bit lower.

It would likely have the torsion bar suspension where the bars go through the cross member to retain them. There are not a lot of them around except in some conversion vans and almost never in a class b because of the low cargo capacity and gross weight maximums.

Sometimes you need to lift the engine a bit after releasing the motor mounts but rarely need to remove the cross member, especially if it is a front sump like is shown in the video. The AWD might even make it so would have to drop the front axle because vans are so squeezed together in that area front to rear.

Do you have access to a factory service manual?
Old 03-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #5

I do not, i've tried downloading a few and they are very limited and not specific for AWD, Haynes manual has no AWD info at all, Chevy dealer won't sell them to customers and says they are all digital anyway.

I found an old unopened GM dealer 3 book service manual for express and savannah's on Bay for $550, which may be worth it to avoid the headache in the long run with every other project but thats a huge chunk of cash for a manual.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I do not, i've tried downloading a few and they are very limited and not specific for AWD, Haynes manual has no AWD info at all, Chevy dealer won't sell them to customers and says they are all digital anyway.

I found an old unopened GM dealer 3 book service manual for express and savannah's on Bay for $550, which may be worth it to avoid the headache in the long run with every other project but thats a huge chunk of cash for a manual.

You may still be able to get the digital copy of the service manual from the OEM supplier of them.

Just did a quick search.

Here you go and it should be brand new and printed volumes. Not cheap but typical of what they go for if they are even available for quite a while now.

https://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....ected%5Fmedia=
Old 03-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #7

$425 plus shipping puts it around 540 out the door with 3 weeks shipping, I think Im just going to have to pull the trigger on one of these, ugh. good resource here though, maybe i can track down a used one with that part number first.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
$425 plus shipping puts it around 540 out the door with 3 weeks shipping, I think Im just going to have to pull the trigger on one of these, ugh. good resource here though, maybe i can track down a used one with that part number first.

I have service manuals for all 3 or our vehicles, a 2009 CRV, our 07 Roadtrek 190, and my 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon. You would have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get them as I would never go without if there where any kind of, even expensive, way to get them. Unfortunately, a lot of the newer stuff only seems to be available digitally and by monthly subscription, which is very costly to do and hard to use, IMO.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #9

thanks for the info, I could say the same for haynes manuals as they have been priceless and headache savers so many times, i gonna just pick one up, i know i won't regret it after the fact.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

my last tow vehicle a gmt360 a trailblazor w/ 5.3 AWD has the front half drive shafts going though the oil pan.
not sure how to go about removing the front drive stuff just to replace motor I messed up. then upon reassemble leave off the AWD stuff.

Tags
chevy express awd oil pan