Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2023, 12:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default HOA is now saying my van is a camper van & not allowed

HOA home owners assocation is now saying my van is a camper van
When I come to Florida on none expedition fishing trips, I usually stay at families house but still prefer to travel in the van compared to the car.
This hoa is anal but will allow me to park tow vehicle (SUV) an vessel at the club house tennis courts area just so it’s moved before 8am.the smaller homes are well over 2mill. Bayfront mansions skys the limit.

Now there saying the van is a camper van which is only allowed for 24 hours. I think someone saw me washing the van earlier today (BTW the preasure washer removed the mold on roof so I’m ready to wax roof), your not allowed to wash a car on you’r own property. I had van kindof stashed behind garage but still visable from street (if you really bend the neck to see check up).
Anyway there threathening a $100. fine for each day the vans parked here at the house they just add that to the dues.

Weird I parked in fronts circlur driveway for first 3 days no complaints, 4th day w/ van stashed in back they complain.
Presonalley I think these hoa ppl are wacked but they set the rules.

Edit: I’m actuelly planning to remove the roofs AC maybe after that they will consider it a regular van which BTW isn’t allowed either.

I guess for this trip I may have to leave van at tennis courts but that ruins my sleepin time plus it’s a mile away.

wonder if I had a $200K benz camper would there be complaints. my van still looks nice.
last 3week visit for Christmas no complaint
Old 03-01-2023, 01:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Do they have a written set of rules that you can go through? My HOA doesn't allow RV/vans/boats/trailers unless they are garaged or in a carport. Carport seems strange since that would be totally visible vs garaged but that's what the rules say. Some have constructed carports (non permanent shade types) and others have moved theirs into the backyard through gates (still technically not in compliance). Many HOAs are set up so that individuals can appeal for exceptions. In ours, roofs had to be flat, or tiled, or cedar shake. No shingles. Homeowners successfully appealed for "metal shakes" which really, in my opinion, are "metal shingles." The CCRs for our HOA also state no trucks without any further qualification. Pickup trucks?

However, our HOA is pretty loose with very few complaints about anything.

good luck
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:03 AM   #3

My HOA prohibits campers of any kind on the homes property on a continuing basis. A camper is allowed for 3 consecutive days and then it must leave. I found out that the streets in our development are county owned and not subjected to HOA jurisdiction. My street is not a through street so parking is "out of the way".
Pot of gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:14 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Do they have a written set of rules that you can go through? My HOA doesn't allow RV/vans/boats/trailers unless they are garaged or in a carport. Carport seems strange since that would be totally visible vs garaged but that's what the rules say. Some have constructed carports (non permanent shade types) and others have moved theirs into the backyard through gates (still technically not in compliance). Many HOAs are set up so that individuals can appeal for exceptions. In ours, roofs had to be flat, or tiled, or cedar shake. No shingles. Homeowners successfully appealed for "metal shakes" which really, in my opinion, are "metal shingles." The CCRs for our HOA also state no trucks without any further qualification. Pickup trucks?

However, our HOA is pretty loose with very few complaints about anything.

good luck
I'm sure we have written rules trying not to make waves.
real estate around here is priced by linear foot so tiny back yard. we'r explaining to hoa I'm here to spend time w/ my senior father at assisted living 15 miles away. so maybe we can slide a few extra days but I think they dont care. just depends on how anal they wanta be.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot of gold View Post
My HOA prohibits campers of any kind on the homes property on a continuing basis. A camper is allowed for 3 consecutive days and then it must leave. I found out that the streets in our development are county owned and not subjected to HOA jurisdiction. My street is not a through street so parking is "out of the way".
I believe this exclusive gated property is private property will find out details in next few days.the only vehicles I see parked on these streets are service vehicles only during daylight
Old 03-01-2023, 02:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot of gold View Post
I was told the same thing about the streets in our neighborhood: they are city and subject to city jurisdiction; not HOA. Never had to test that out......so far.
My RV is on the side of the house; technically not the back yard but I did construct a double gate to shield it from view (partially; the gates are 6.5') I talked to the neighbors on either side before. They don't even understand why I put up the gates. I told the neighbor on that side that I was also going to put up a wall, but they told me not to. My RV is adjacent to their garage and they simply didn't see the need.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I was told the same thing about the streets in our neighborhood: they are city and subject to city jurisdiction; not HOA. Never had to test that out......so far.
My RV is on the side of the house; technically not the back yard but I did construct a double gate to shield it from view (partially; the gates are 6.5') I talked to the neighbors on either side before. They don't even understand why I put up the gates. I told the neighbor on that side that I was also going to put up a wall, but they told me not to. My RV is adjacent to their garage and they simply didn't see the need.
it could have been a neighbor that made the complaint or they supplied the image of van to the hoa, the hoa ride around looking for vans an boats wierd they didn't see it for 3 weks during Christmas.
anyway the fines won't start untill after 14 days of this email. I'll be gone in a few days.

usally only stay for 1 week to 10 days depends on weather and biting insects.

I told my sister to tell them my brother has a medical condition irritable bowel syndrome where I have to take a crape all the time and need a toilet near by, doubt they care.

2 days ago I saw a benz sprinter type 17' van parked at the tennis courts.

worst case scenario I'll have to leave van at tennis courts an be picked up or
after I install my new ladder & bike rack I could ride the bike back an forth.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

talked a bit w/ the guard at the gated neighborhood of course he doesn't know all the rules/
he said RVs are allowed if parked on back part of the driveway which it is stashed way back there. he said there are serval RVs a 42' A class and a couple 24' benz sprinter types an a few smaller benz sprinters.

I spesificalley asked do these RVs have the own garages he said no just on drivewayI actuelly saw the silver 24' benz parked in a very short 35' driveway.

so this issue maybe escalated. maybe there's a differnce between guests like me compared to home owners here.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Interesting! I retired recently, and we just did our first VRBO. Traveling in the van is our new favorite mode of long-distance travel, so even if renting we drive the van. Luckily, I checked with the properties first--of the 8 we looked at, 2 would not let us park at the house.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:55 PM   #10

Thumbs down HOA

HOA's are a huge pain!
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:26 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post
HOA's are a huge pain!
It's all in how you look at it. We arrived home today after a month in Texas and came home to Minnesota after a 7" snow last night and this morning with a plowed street, driveway and a shoveled porch. No pain.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:59 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Always amazed by stories like this. So thankful to have property upon which I may do as I please and have no “Karens” to bother me.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Most go into HOAs knowing exactly what the rules are then they think they are an exemption. I knew going in that all vehicles had to be garageable and took means to overcome that that and now unbeknownst to me when I did it, gained 3X my investment in 6 years and maybe more when I eventually sell--a rare condo garage complex and, yes, another HOA. There are a lot of benefits for being in an HOA. One I just cited above in my previous message about snow. Yes, freedoms are sacrificed but doing as you please your neighbors can do the same and you might not like it visually and to your detriment.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:16 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I agree about knowing HOA rules before you buy. But in our instance and others the HOA may decide to change the rules after you buy. We have that ongoing in our HOA now. I'm in discussions (from a distance now) about parking our B overnight before and after a trip. Not sure of the outcome but we always have the option to move which we are considering.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Always amazed by stories like this. So thankful to have property upon which I may do as I please and have no “Karens” to bother me.

I agree except there are always people that are completely inconsiderate of their neighbors. I live in a suburban development with 1-5 acre lots, homes that probably average $600-800k each and a HOA with virtually no rules. One of our neighbors places now looks like a salvage yard with about 6 broken down vehicles that no longer run and a couple rusted out RV trailers. Another neighbor wants to start raising chickens and goats and thinks his 2 acre lot is a hobby farm. The next thing that will happen is that someone will put their house on VRBO and it will become a weekend party house. It is no wonder why HOA's with fairly strict rules are established and enforced.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:12 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Our HOA is set up that every member has to vote for a change in rules. Majority rules. Ain't that a democracy? It really is about protecting property values and in our case necessary services. I didn't go into knowing about services but wanted no exterior maintenance responsibilities so we can travel and not worry about shoveling the snow or mowing the grass, etc. Turns out in analyzing the cost our monthly HOA dues that they are much less than we were paying in our former non-HOA home for exterior maintenance.

You are right. You have the freedom to sell and move and maybe it will be more appealing to uphold your property value with HOA rules and then live in a non-HOA neighborhood that you can't control your neighbor's junk cars and chickens. You just have to weigh the pluses and minuses and decide if parking your Class B is worth it.

We have a garageable rule but visitors can park overnight and we can park our Class B overnight in the driveway to load up for a get away early in the morning or vice versa coming home. Our HOA consist of 16 homes on a private street and cul-de-sac.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I agree except there are always people that are completely inconsiderate of their neighbors. I live in a suburban development with 1-5 acre lots, homes that probably average $600-800k each and a HOA with virtually no rules. One of our neighbors places now looks like a salvage yard with about 6 broken down vehicles that no longer run and a couple rusted out RV trailers. Another neighbor wants to start raising chickens and goats and thinks his 2 acre lot is a hobby farm. The next thing that will happen is that someone will put their house on VRBO and it will become a weekend party house. It is no wonder why HOA's with fairly strict rules are established and enforced.
There is always that risk, true. This is why location, location and location are the primary rules of real estate purchase.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:21 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Personally I think basic "majority rules" is a bad idea, simply because 51% should not be telling 49% how to live. That's a recipe for a lot of unhappy residents. An 80% rule might make more sense.

Also bear in mind that, in addition to raising chickens, etc., there are a PLENTY of non-HOA areas out there that are beautiful and have no such issues (such as where I am). It does, however, depend upon location and cost, typically.

In the end result, it's great that we have the freedom to make these choices. If you're an HOA fan, good for you, there's plenty of them to choose from.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:24 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The city you live in is essentially an HOA with many rules. When it snows they hold you responsible if you don't shovel the public sidewalk in front of your house. When snow plowing the streets you can only park on one side of the street. In this modern day and age most homes have two cars in a old city plat neighborhood. Some people don't like the restrictions that are in the news right now. That's Minneapolis. In Stillwater, MN a neighborhood in the city (not an HOA) objected to a house design in the neighborhood that they said was too big for the neighborhood. The city backed the neighborhood. Of course every city provides services. Dues are just taxes in this case. You don't have the freedom to make all your choices.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:02 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The city you live in is essentially an HOA with many rules. When it snows they hold you responsible if you don't shovel the public sidewalk in front of your house. When snow plowing the streets you can only park on one side of the street. In this modern day and age most homes have two cars in a old city plat neighborhood. Some people don't like the restrictions that are in the news right now. That's Minneapolis. In Stillwater, MN a neighborhood in the city (not an HOA) objected to a house design in the neighborhood that they said was too big for the neighborhood. The city backed the neighborhood. Of course every city provides services. Dues are just taxes in this case. You don't have the freedom to make all your choices.

Yep, and neighborhood covenants from when the area was built may or may not be enforced.

The very thorough and relatively expensive to comply with septic rules for original design and build and pumping schedule. They are also a big deal around our neighborhood where the older, grandfathered, underground systems with single tanks have to be upgraded to mound drainfields, and 3 chamber tanks when the fail and have to be replaced. We did ours a bit over 10 years ago and it was an adventure and huge mess of a large part of our 2.5 acre lot.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote