Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #1

Default 95/96 RoadTrek Popular 210 - Shocks / Springs - Maintenance

Hello all,

First post here. My wife and I inherited a 1995/1996 RoadTrek Popular 210 in pretty nice shape. We are currently going through the rig doing maintenance and I believe the shocks are the original's.

I have searched quite a bit, but have not quite found the information I am looking for. i am having trouble with the make/model portion of the search.

I have a couple questions-

-Is this a G30 1 Ton? G30 1 Ton HD? Sportvan? Highcube van? No-one seems to know the submodel.

-What are the proper model number shocks - bilstein or better? I have searched bilstein and other part catalogs, but the submodel seems to hang me up every time.

If there is anything else that we should look at on the van, please let us know. Thank you in advance for any help.

Edit: Edited to update year, decoded the vin to a 9.11.1995 build, so It had its birthday yesterday, and is officially 28 years old now.
Roadtrek210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would have an RV technician check the propane system for its integrity, any leaks and to see if it holds the appropriate pressure.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
I would have an RV technician check the propane system for its integrity, any leaks and to see if it holds the appropriate pressure.
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have gone over the propane system pretty thoroughly and it seems to be in very good shape, and it seems to have been holding 1/2 tank of propane for approx. a year. I have checked and run all the propane appliances and they work well, so I think it is OK, but this is probably something I should leave to a professional, I will consider having it checked. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, they are very much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #4

I forgot to mention one of the main reasons I started looking at the shocks was because of the side to side rear sway that happened during lane changes.

I understand that this is an issue on the longer units and people have done things like sway bar's and airbags. I would like to leave it as stock as possible however I do want to have a comfortable ride.

I started looking at the likely culprits Tires/Shocks/Springs and started with the Tires. We had brand new Load range E tires put on and it seemed to help the problem a little bit, but did not make it satisfactory for me personally, it still seems unsafe in a high wind and/or emergency maneuver situation.

I figure I will try the shocks and springs next, and this is where I need some information on model numbers that folks have had success using and if it helped to cure this sway problem. However - I am starting to worry that unless something custom or some upgrade is done it won't cure the problem. Any input on the next step to take would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

does the VIN tell you 1 ton vs 3/4 ton chassis ?

I had to do some detective work for my shocks- the Bilstein 4600 series shocks for the front were easy to search -but the rear took some work to determine with me double checking the eye to eye measurement before ordering.

I use the supersprings international sumo springs front and rear and that helps ( me) with sway- if that seems like something you'd want a current 15% code is " vanbetter "

I've posted here on the sumo, and you can check their website if it seems to answer/solve some of your concerns/ observations
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Others with your specific model might have more directed responses. Mine = 1996/1997 PleasureWay 19.5'. 2-3 years ago I had the rear springs re-arched (one side sat 1" lower in back). I had them put on 4 Bilsteins at the same time and replace the airbags (one was leaking). There was a significant difference in the ride. Before, turning (corners/shifting lanes) seemed to produce a little "lean" of the chassis. After, making those same turns appeared much more level. Ride also improved (as you might expect replacing shocks that were 20 years old). Before our next long trip I do plan to add an antisway bar to the rear.

BTW: Sway in high winds is pretty much expected in vehicles like ours.
BTWW: We inherited ours in 2016 from my father-in-law.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote