Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2023, 12:38 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Aluminum wheel replacement

Now that the cold weather has set in, I have a couple of tires that slowly leak.
No problems with them all summer and fall but after a few weeks of below freezing temps a couple of them are loosing pressure. I have had this same issue on a couple of cars in the past. The aluminum rims were the culprit. I changed them to steel and never had a problem again. My Roadtrek 210 is a 2005 so I suspect there is some oxidation on and in the rims, especially where the weights were added. The tires were put on it by the previous owner and I imagine a wire wheel and hammered on weights were used. Both a big No NO for aluminum, especially the wire wheel. Has anyone replaced their aluminum rims for steel?
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:56 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
Now that the cold weather has set in, I have a couple of tires that slowly leak.
No problems with them all summer and fall but after a few weeks of below freezing temps a couple of them are loosing pressure. I have had this same issue on a couple of cars in the past. The aluminum rims were the culprit. I changed them to steel and never had a problem again. My Roadtrek 210 is a 2005 so I suspect there is some oxidation on and in the rims, especially where the weights were added. The tires were put on it by the previous owner and I imagine a wire wheel and hammered on weights were used. Both a big No NO for aluminum, especially the wire wheel. Has anyone replaced their aluminum rims for steel?

Several of us have, usually to allow for the use of the larger 265-75-16 tires. There are steel wheels with the correct offset that are a bit hard to find but out there used. They are the correct offset but wider than the stock steel wheels that were used on the Express vans.

The stock steel wheels are very, very easy to find and are the correct offset and width for the OEM size 245-75-16 tires.

Of note, the aluminum wheels you have very likely have the wrong offset as ours and all other Chevy Roadtreks with aluminum wheels did. The stick out about 1 3/8" extra on each side and IMO have a detrimental effect on handling.

With both of the steel wheel options you will need to get OEM style wheel centers or hubcaps like Wheelskins.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I took had what seemed like a seasonal leak. After multiple trips to gas stations, and tire places, I asked my (superb) mechanic to check it. He found a hairline crack in the aluminum rim. Oh Crap I thought, my Rate is a 2006, will never find one of these specific wheels, will need to buy a set.

Then I explored repair, and found someone who could fix it. This can only be done when they crack does not go into the bead of the rim. Fixed for $120. Been fine ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221228-171301.jpg (111.2 KB, 14 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 02:45 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Like most folks, I went the other way, from steel to aluminum. Nothing but advantages to forged aluminum over steel. Lighter, stronger, better handling, and of course polished they look great. I was even lucky enough to find a matching aluminum wheel for my spare. I think each wheel saves 15 to 20 pounds over steel.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote