Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Default Are Class Bs less susceptible to water damage than Class Cs?

Since Class Bs are built inside a pre-existing cab, do they have less risk of water damage than a Class C? My gut says yes, absolutely. For me, this would be a huge reason to go B instead of C.
upforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think your gut is generally correct. Class B’s have fewer potential leak points. Van bodies are precision welded by robots versus the hit-or-miss hand assembly in RV factories.. Panel seams and delamination are Class C problems, and cab-over beds are especially problematic. Class C’s with all-molded fiberglass coach bodies are better than laminated or stick-built units.

Of course fewer is not zero. Windows, vents, and attachment points for awnings and other add-ons are shared vulnerabilities that require regular attention. The raised fiberglass roof on some older units adds more places it can leak.

My 4-year-old Chevy Roadtrek had leaked under the A/C before I got it. I determined the likely cause was being parked steeply nose down through a wet winter without being moved. Water had built up inside the A/C enclosure and overflowed the lip into the cabin. Level storage and regular use seemed to solve the problem, and the stains came out with some elbow grease. Unlike a Toyota Class C I had many years ago, I knew the leak had not damaged any structural wood framework.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upforester View Post
Since Class Bs are built inside a pre-existing cab, do they have less risk of water damage than a Class C? My gut says yes, absolutely. For me, this would be a huge reason to go B instead of C.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, generally less seams means less leaks. But every few years there's some caulk maintenance to be done around vents, etc., just like all rvs.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:11 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The roof fan will eventually leak so the caulking requires regular proactive maintenance. The old Roadtreks with the 3-windows installed with molded rubber are a nightmare to kept sealed but they probably stopped doing that in the 90s.
Worn out door seals and rear door hinges also allow leaks.
In the end, you should see stains in the ceiling and fabric on the walls when inspecting your new RV carefully.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
The roof fan will eventually leak so the caulking requires regular proactive maintenance. The old Roadtreks with the 3-windows installed with molded rubber are a nightmare to kept sealed but they probably stopped doing that in the 90s.
Worn out door seals and rear door hinges also allow leaks.
In the end, you should see stains in the ceiling and fabric on the walls when inspecting your new RV carefully.
Everything breaks down with time; but, when I think about an old car I had with a sunroof that didn't leak in 20 years, I have to say that it's probably less likely in a Class B.....

For the reasons that other people brought up, the vehicle is primarily an inside conversion, you're talking about a vehicle that was manufactured at the factory, not a box that someone constructed and attached on a cut-a-way chassis. It's a huge difference.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #6

WE have had different class B's over the years- they all have eventually had leaks, especially on the upper front roof windows. A good window repair company can remove, reglaze, reseal them for a small cost. There is a need to be vigilant with all exterior sealant areas. Watch for breaking down, replace before there is a leak. Use appropriate sealant only.
jschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default No upper front roof windows on my RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschurman View Post
WE have had different class B's over the years- they all have eventually had leaks, especially on the upper front roof windows. A good window repair company can remove, reglaze, reseal them for a small cost. There is a need to be vigilant with all exterior sealant areas. Watch for breaking down, replace before there is a leak. Use appropriate sealant only.
Good to know.... but, I don't have these windows....
I'm very glad not to have them too, because, they transfer heat into the van on hot days .... I've been in vans that have them and it's like standing in a "green house"....

I've seen people put window shades in to slow down and keep heat out, but, it is only slightly effective.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Good to know.... but, I don't have these windows....
I'm very glad not to have them too, because, they transfer heat into the van on hot days .... I've been in vans that have them and it's like standing in a "green house"....

I've seen people put window shades in to slow down and keep heat out, but, it is only slightly effective.
They come with "window shades". Reflextix solves the heat problem, very simple. Nice to have the light for some folks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default I have plenty of light inside the cabin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
They come with "window shades". Reflextix solves the heat problem, very simple. Nice to have the light for some folks.
I don't need the extra heat...... especially while driving.....
Plus, as someone said, they leak.....yuck.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

"I don't need the extra heat...... especially while driving....."

Me neither, but I do like the light at times And have a choice.

"Plus, as someone said, they leak.....yuck."

Easy fixes. I don't understand over many years now why folks spend a bunch of money dealing with window leaks with the Roadtrek windows? I may have spent less than 10 dollars.

Sure like the choice.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Heat....

Quote:
"I don't need the extra heat...... especially while driving....."

Me neither, but I do like the light at times And have a choice.

"Plus, as someone said, they leak.....yuck."

Easy fixes. I don't understand over many years now why folks spend a bunch of money dealing with window leaks with the Roadtrek windows? I may have spent less than 10 dollars.

Sure like the choice.
I love windows..... have a lot in my home and they are double pane insulated .... actually block heat, designed for this.

Unfortunately, in the RV's with the skylights, while they seem like a good idea, to they have to be covered up 90 percent of the time because unless you have an insulated double pane window ( I doubt most people have this) your rig air conditioning system has to work very hard to disipate the heat that the skylight window transfers in. It's glass and we all know how hot it can get in the sun 🌞....
Old 07-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

"your rig air conditioning system has to work very hard to disipate the heat that the skylight window transfers in"

Well, there is the Reflectix. Sure like the choice.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default It only goes so far ...

Quote:
"your rig air conditioning system has to work very hard to disipate the heat that the skylight window transfers in"

Well, there is the Reflectix. Sure like the choice.
It helps slow down the heat, but, it's still pretty hot 🔥...

You'll never have the same air conditioning system in your RV than you have in your house..... and RV air conditioners are notoriously noisy.....
Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

"and RV air conditioners are notoriously noisy....."

Mine does not leak, the a/c or B. Noisy? I suppose so, but no leaks.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
Silver Member

I'm with you, Bud. Those windows are great when in shade or during our main trip times - spring and fall. Nothing beats seeing those trees overhead - leaves blowing gently in the breeze. And don't forget the stars at night...

Reflectix is our friend.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote