Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Awning Removal Roadtrek 190

2002 Chevy 190 - Any advice on removing the factory installed awning? Want to clean up and reseal the entire seam where the fiberglass top meets the metal. Once it is off is it a pita to reinstall?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2023, 12:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a 2001 Dodge 190 Popular with a Fiamma 45 awning. I'm not sure if yours is the same. Mine has 3 cleats attached to the body. The awning has a groove which attaches to the top of the cleat. Once it, it drops down above the lower part. then a screw is attached from the bottom which secures it. Here is picture of the cleat.

The awning is not too heavy, but it is long. I recommend two people on stepladders to lift it off and put it back on. Before you take it off, mark the awning where the screws go in. Much easier to get it back in the right position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4853 copy.jpg (80.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Probably the same setup - from what I see it looks to be the same. Thanks a lot for replying to my post. These old Roadtreks are a hoot!
Old 02-13-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

actually not the same setup - no screws underneath - actually looks like it just "snaps" in there on the three brackets.

Anyone have a Chevy to confirm?
Old 02-13-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
actually not the same setup - no screws underneath - actually looks like it just "snaps" in there on the three brackets.

Anyone have a Chevy to confirm?

It may or may not be exactly the same as our 07 Chevy because you are on the previous GM chassis platform and we aren't, but the models are very similar.

On ours, there are screws up from the underside of the awning that you need to remove and then you can pull out the bottom and twist it up to get the top to release.

If you need to get rid of it entirely, you will be in for some work as the three brackets are pop riveted to the fiberglass roof with spacer under them to get it to match the curve of the roof. IIRC the spacers are separately pop riveted under neath the awning to hold it together with the awning removed. There appears to be a double plate inside the van to reinforce it from pulling out easily. If you take out the rivets and have the inside plate move, you may not be able to reinstall in without taking it apart on the inside which would be a lot of work.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks - no screws on the bracket. Just need to remove it from the brackets to reseal then put it back on. Since there are no screws i must just snap off the the three brackets...
Old 02-13-2023, 11:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
Thanks - no screws on the bracket. Just need to remove it from the brackets to reseal then put it back on. Since there are no screws i must just snap off the the three brackets...

Are there holes in the bracket into the awning on the underside? My understanding is that this is necessary to keep the awing from popping out or sliding forward and back as you drive.

I does come out of the bracket like I mentioned earlier, bottom first. Be sure to have a helper as it is awkward and quite heavy when it comes loose.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 12:25 AM   #8
Platinum Member

No screws anywhere to be seen. I hear where you are coming from, but it would be a tight squeeze given the drain rail of the van roof - not much space there. I think it actually just snaps off. If I do get it off I think I may put a screw in each of the end brackets - the middle one is a definite no go.