Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi folks, as part of our current meandering roadtrip, we're thinking about going along this route from Waynesboro to Roanoke, if I remember right.
For those that have done this, any advice? Sights? Stops?
We typically don't boondock, preferring an electric hookup at minimum. We generally drive 3-5 hours on travel days. Pretty leisurely progress, no hurry.
Thanks.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Attached is a map along with notations I have made. The map is from this site:
https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/parkway-map/

We have been that way several times. Just 6 miles from the start in Crozet (near Waynesboro) is the Humpback Rocks Visitor Center (VC). Not a lot there but a nice little stop. Nearby is the hiking trail up to Humpback Rocks. A bit of a climb but not too bad.

Further down you can get off on Rt 56 to Montebello where there is a campground. A few miles further down the road is Crabtree Falls. This is one of our favorite hikes. It has a nice safe trail to the top. You don’t need to go the entire way, and you can still see a lot of the falls.

I also show Sherando Lake CG (National Forest CG). It is on the other side of the mountain from Montebello. This is one of the nicest campgrounds. It has electric (and water I think). Nice bathhouse. Very relaxing hiking.

Back onto the Parkway the next major stop is James River VC. There is a KOA near there but we have never stayed there.

Then onto Peaks of Otter. Nice CG but no electric. Weather should be cool so no need for AC.

Then to Roanoke. I have not stayed at Campgrounds at Explore Park.

There are many pull offs along the way to enjoy the view. Some have short hikes. There may be a few longer hikes along the way but I don’t recall them.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: png BRP Crozet to Roanoke.png (997.4 KB, 37 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Wow! A ton of info, I really appreciate it.

We'll be at Blackwater Falls Park for a couple of days, then at Sherando for another couple days, then heading to the BR parkway. I was thinking about that campground at Montebello and the KOA too. I was looking at that website, so our plan is to stop at the visitors center first, get map etc and see how it goes. All part of the adventure.

Thanks especially for the stop/hike info, we try for moderate hikes along the way. My wife really likes waterfalls so we'll be sure to stop at Crabtree.

Again, very appreciative of your input.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #4
Bronze Member

It is a beautiful drive. So beautiful that at this time of year, with the leaves changing, the Blue Ridge Parkway is incredibly congested. It can run literally bumper-to-bumper for its entire length. If you haven’t already made campground reservations, don’t even think about trying to “first come, first serve.”
MarCorpsMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We just returned from a Skyline, Blue Ridge, Smoky Mtn parkway drive and stay trip of about a month. Beautiful drive and nice campgrounds in the National Parks, but too crowded with limited parking at all the hiking trails and sites. You basically get to see/do one thing a day if you get there early enough.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:06 AM   #6
Bronze Member

A couple more comments:

Parking at Crabtree Falls is configured for cars and very limited for vans. There are no RV spots and only a handful that can handle a 24ft Sprinter. Many of the spaces are encumbered by a steep bank or large rocks such that a ~20ft vehicle is all that will fit.

The Peaks of Otter campground has a similar issue. Many of the sites are too short for even a modern pickup. Make sure you contact them and get a site that can accommodate your van.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKG View Post
A couple more comments:

Parking at Crabtree Falls is configured for cars and very limited for vans. There are no RV spots and only a handful that can handle a 24ft Sprinter. Many of the spaces are encumbered by a steep bank or large rocks such that a ~20ft vehicle is all that will fit.

The Peaks of Otter campground has a similar issue. Many of the sites are too short for even a modern pickup. Make sure you contact them and get a site that can accommodate your van.
I've parked my Roadtrek 210P at Crabtree Falls several times. You do have to be selective. The lower parking area is usually better. It gets tougher when it is crowded, so best to go when not busy during the week.

Camping anytime in a mountain area can be tricky. Make sure you have plenty of levelers on hand.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks again for all the tips and info.
We're in day 2 of BRP, stating overnight at the Lynchburg KOA, very nice park and decently priced for full hookups. From Sherando Park we took a "shortcut" over to the parkway, meaning a single lane gravel road which thankfully wasn't deeply rutted. Came out right above the Humpback Rocks VC. We left the van at the VC and did the .8 mile hike up to the rocks. Fairly strenuous climb but worth the view.
Stayed at Montebello RV Park last night, decent place with very accommodating folks. My oversight - I've not carried a 30a cord extension. And of course I needed one. They very kindly loaned one to me.
This morning we went further on 56 to Crabtree falls, almost nobody was there , it was a great short hike to the base. Totally agree it's tight for our 24ft van. I backed in so the rear wheels were right at the edge of the pavement, only one other car there lol. We went up another level but decided that was good enough, so we continued back down the parkway to this Lynchburg KOA. We first went into Lynchburg and picked up that 30a extension!
Tomorrow we're driving to Wytheville area, we'll figure out a place to stay once we're there. Our first choice is usually national and state parks and there's a couple in the general area as first come first serve. No place has really been very crowded so we'll see.
BRP has been a great smooth drive , enforced 45 mph with great overlooks, really glad we're here. Hasn't been crowded.
After Wytheville, we're planning to stay at Smoky Mtn National Park for a couple of days, with one of those days taking the SM train.
After that is Gatlinburg and a continued leisurely pace back to TX.
Again, many thanks.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Trek View Post
Thanks again for all the tips and info.
We're in day 2 of BRP, stating overnight at the Lynchburg KOA, very nice park and decently priced for full hookups. From Sherando Park we took a "shortcut" over to the parkway, meaning a single lane gravel road which thankfully wasn't deeply rutted. Came out right above the Humpback Rocks VC. We left the van at the VC and did the .8 mile hike up to the rocks. Fairly strenuous climb but worth the view.
Stayed at Montebello RV Park last night, decent place with very accommodating folks. My oversight - I've not carried a 30a cord extension. And of course I needed one. They very kindly loaned one to me.
This morning we went further on 56 to Crabtree falls, almost nobody was there , it was a great short hike to the base. Totally agree it's tight for our 24ft van. I backed in so the rear wheels were right at the edge of the pavement, only one other car there lol. We went up another level but decided that was good enough, so we continued back down the parkway to this Lynchburg KOA. We first went into Lynchburg and picked up that 30a extension!
Tomorrow we're driving to Wytheville area, we'll figure out a place to stay once we're there. Our first choice is usually national and state parks and there's a couple in the general area as first come first serve. No place has really been very crowded so we'll see.
BRP has been a great smooth drive , enforced 45 mph with great overlooks, really glad we're here. Hasn't been crowded.
After Wytheville, we're planning to stay at Smoky Mtn National Park for a couple of days, with one of those days taking the SM train.
After that is Gatlinburg and a continued leisurely pace back to TX.
Again, many thanks.

We went out of Smoky mtn park Saturday on our trip home to Minnesota and even doing the Gatlinburg bypass route (yes there is one and it is a lot faster than through town) and it took 2.5 hours to get the first 100 miles and get to a 70mph speed limit. We left Elkmont campground at 5:30am for reference so little traffic that early, but everything is slow there.

During the daytime, it can take 1-1.5 hours to get through Gatlinburg, we did it once during out 5 days in Elkmont. Nice town but nowhere to park and very, very crowded.

When we went by the places you mentioned on the BRP a week earlier there were no parking places available at them.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks Booster, I'll rachet down our probably over optimistic travel times! I suspected Gatlinburg was going to be pretty crowded. I'll also look up elkmont campground.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:32 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Booster, I'll rachet down our probably over optimistic travel times! I suspected Gatlinburg was going to be pretty crowded. I'll also look up elkmont campground.

If you decide to stay in Elkmont, look for sites on the opposite side of the stream from the entrance as they are more isolated and have more room, plus being a lot quieter. There are generator and non generator areas so be aware of that.

We were in site L9 and it was a very nice site for what we like. No generator or engine charging allowed there. Mostly tents around that area.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I should also have mentioned that the areas we went through in Tennessee before entering Kentucky were swarming with speed traps. Low speed limits and high enforcement, was the impression I had. We probably saw a half dozen speed traps and we weren't in Tennessee all that long as we got to Kentucky just north of Knoxville.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:23 AM   #13
Platinum Member

We've seen our share of radar along the way, in particular a lot in Illinois (making a big clockwise loop on this trip).
We're in Mt. Airy tonight, a nice reminder of one of my favorite shows growing up - Mayberry RFD. Birthplace of Andy Griffith.
Tomorrow night we'll be in Linville Falls area, looks like BRP has some full and partial closures along the way though. The 6 speed transmission is still holding up lol. It's spent a lot of time in 4th gear select.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:47 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
We've seen our share of radar along the way, in particular a lot in Illinois (making a big clockwise loop on this trip).
We're in Mt. Airy tonight, a nice reminder of one of my favorite shows growing up - Mayberry RFD. Birthplace of Andy Griffith.
Tomorrow night we'll be in Linville Falls area, looks like BRP has some full and partial closures along the way though. The 6 speed transmission is still holding up lol. It's spent a lot of time in 4th gear select.

We stayed at Linville falls national park campground for 3 days. Very nice place and we had a good site with lots of privacy, compared to other sites.

There is a detour coming going south. Parkway is closed and the detour was probably 50 miles compared to 30 miles if you had been on the parkway. Not horrible, but they take you back near the parkway once instead of just making a straight shot around so that was a bit irritating to us.

We have the 4 speed trans and it spent nearly 400 miles in third gear and some of the time in tow haul, which I have programmed to lock the converter more of the time. It also requires a drop to second gear for part of the time so that there is enough power to keep moving with the converter locked.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:59 AM   #15
Site Team

One of the big reasons to routinely use Apple Maps or Waze is that you will almost always get fair warning of upcoming traffic enforcement.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Yes, real time BRP road updates show the closures. We've decided to take a more direct route from Mt. Airy to Linville Falls campground. Generally south then west. I'm fine with it, looking at the BRP detouring map it looks like a hassle I can avoid.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Tomorrow's our last day on the parkway, went by Crabtree Falls yesterday. Hanging out at the Linville RV park today.
We came into the parkway from 221 and travelled to Linville without any closures. We'll go as far as Asheville tomorrow, then head west.
Greatly appreciate the amount of help - it really made this part of the trip go great.