Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default cabinet hinge screws stripped

One of the hinges pulled out on one of the cabinet doors in my 1999 Roadtrek 170. I see that there are various products available to deal with stripped holes in wood cabinets -- does anyone have any recommendations?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Old trick which works well. Put some wood glue on wood matches (no phosphor end) and insert them into the stripped hole, as many as you can, you can use small hammer for a tight fit. Cut them flush, wait for glue to semi dry and mount the hinge.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

What George said but I use toothpicks. Works well
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Depending on what is on the other side of the panel, sometimes it is best to just drill through and replace the wood screw with a machine screw, washer and nut.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I just had the same thing happen in my Rize! The folks installing the cabinet doors must have been drunk, as the (very short) screws on one hinge were put right at the corner of the pressed wood frame that the doors hang on.

Since not only the screw holes stripped, but also the (fake) wood frame broke, my only resort is to move the hinge over a few inches and attach it to a healthy section, somehow more centered, with predrilled holes, and longer screws. I may change the screws in the other cabinet doors for something a bit longer too.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Depending on what is on the other side of the panel, sometimes it is best to just drill through and replace the wood screw with a machine screw, washer and nut.

I have done this also in the past, but in more recent history I have switched to using T nuts on areas where both sides are accessible. Nearly flush, never lost tend to stay tight better for me.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Another option is to use special rivnuts called prebulbed or plusenuts designed for soft material. Regular rivnut with back-up washer works was well.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/nu...nd-composites/

In Camper Van DIY community rivnuts are used extensively to reinforce sheet metal with machine thread instead of using plain sheet metal screws. Amazon sells kits of rivet nut tool with rivnuts https://www.amazon.com/WETOLS-Rivet-...NrPXRydWU&th=1
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks for all of the helpful advice! I did the toothpicks and glue, which was very quick and easy and seems to have worked well. If it pulls out again, I will try one of the other suggestions.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote