Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2023, 07:19 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2006 Roadtrek 210 exterior battery access

I can't pull open the exterior battery access. I unlocked it the handle popped out but it won't slide out. Am I doing it right or is there more to it? Does the handle have to be turned, because it won't? I am being cautious because the cover panel already has a crack in it. Looks like it may have been scrapped by the former owner. This drawer was open when we bought it.
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Sounds like the Drawer Slides are shot, fairly easy to replace. Same thinghappened tgo my 210 Versatile. Slides cost $69 a pair and it took me about 3 hours to replace.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:30 AM   #3
Silver Member

They probably are. How did you get it open? Where did you get new ones?
Old 04-29-2023, 01:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We no longer have our RT210 Versatile,sold it 5 weeks ago and are looking for something alittle bigger (B Plus).
I sprayed lithium grease on the tracks liberally after I carefully worked the drawer open about 4 inches. The grease really helps.
I removed the old slides and measured them and ordered them online from Amazon.

I would suggest that you spray white lithium grease on all of the drawer slides to avoid issues with those also.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:13 AM   #5
Silver Member

I will definitely grease them, but it won't open at all. I unlock it the handle pops out but it won't pull out. Do I have to turn the handle?
Old 04-29-2023, 03:10 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
I will definitely grease them, but it won't open at all. I unlock it the handle pops out but it won't pull out. Do I have to turn the handle?
Yes turn the handle
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:15 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
Yes, you must turn the handle. When my slides failed I found that prying or pushing up on the bottom helped get the slide open. The weight of the batteries on the failed slides makes it very hard to open.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
Gold Member

I would liberally spray penetrating oil (Blaster) on the handle shaft and into the key slot and work the handle to try to free it up. It turns clockwise about 90 degrees. Pushing in on the drawer face outer edger where the latches are may help.

Tha other drawers have the same handle mechanism to see how it should be working.

I lubricate the slides and handles a couple times a year with spray grease on the slides and spray Super Lube on the latching components.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
I would liberally spray penetrating oil (Blaster) on the handle shaft and into the key slot and work the handle to try to free it up. It turns clockwise about 90 degrees. Pushing in on the drawer face outer edger where the latches are may help.

Tha other drawers have the same handle mechanism to see how it should be working.

I lubricate the slides and handles a couple times a year with spray grease on the slides and spray Super Lube on the latching components.
Very important to lubricate the slides every 6-months or so. Also clean the outside of your lead acid batteries and compartment first with baking soda or battery cleaner solution. This gets any acid buildup off. Allow water to dry, then lubricate.

All this is a hassle and grounds for going to AGM (minimal change in charging parameters) or Lithium (major electrical upgrade). When my batteries die I will likely go to Lithium. However, I typically get at least 10 years out of my lead acid batteries, but they take diligent attention (charging properly, cleaning, etc).
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:56 AM   #10
Silver Member

I am thinking about going to an AGM battery.I believe the lead acid battery that came with the RV needs to be replaced but will check it when I get the compartment open. Is there something special I would have to do to replace it with a AGM battery? I was told they are interchangeable.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

When I changed from FLA to AGM batteries, the converter manual directed me to change a dip switch on the converter for charging AGM batteries. I have no recollection of which switch, which way, etc. Too hard to get at to take a look.