Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default CD player

Have 1997 Xplorer HT Just like a roadtrek Has a radio Spouse drives Xc to bike and wants CD player Could just bring boom box and hook it to cigarette lighter/plug- he says this will skip But to install cd player seems to mean serious dashboard work Any other aftermarket ideas?
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

most of the world has leapt past the CD to songs on ipod ( oops, don't make them anymore!), now a days stored on or streamed on the phone

this means you don;t have to carry a bunch of disks, you turn them into mp3's and play them from your phone ( or use a sirius subscription to play from phone or a streaming service- if you have unlimited data)

you can get an FM modulator which will broadcast the music to your FM radio
something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...1370737&sr=8-6
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
Silver Member

Default cd player

[QUOTE=mkguitar;149061]most of the world has leapt past the CD to songs on ipod ( oops, don't make them anymore!), now a days stored on or streamed on the phone
this means you don;t have to carry a bunch of disks, you turn them into mp3's and play them from your phone ( or use a sirius subscription to play from phone or a streaming service- if you have unlimited data)
you can get an FM modulator which will broadcast the music to your FM radio
something like this:

----------------------------
I am aware of all of this
Had an Fm modulator once worked poorly Possibly a higher end model could work but he does not want to
turn them in" to anything
Wants to play his PInk Floyd CDs .Period.

Hsband wants to play CDs He has a flip phone
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Installing a new in-dash receiver with a CD player is a pretty simple job. If he's not up to it you can pay an installer.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Al...r=AG_Type|ffCD
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
Silver Member

When I bought my used 98 Dodge 190 Roadtrek I wanted a cd player and gps. A local shop that installs such in vehicles replaced my stock radio with exactly what I wanted. A great gps screen, cd player, am & fm radio. Perfect in dash fit. It wasn't cheap. In 2010 it cost about $800. I also only have a flip phone. I did remove the tv and vcr that came with the Rt. Been without tv for 50 years. I can get back to you with more info on the make of the cd player etc. if needed. I don't have it immediate at hand. Bob
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:44 PM   #7

Default Our purchase of a new radio

About two years ago, we had Best Buy install, I believe it was a Pioneer CD radio. They did a fantastic job, looks factory installed. It had all the bells and whistles, an aux, Bluetooth, etc. We have since sold the van. I believe the cost was between $200-300, nowhere close to $800.
Good luck with your decision.
swadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:14 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Default CD player

Although I have a CD player in my Roadtrek. But I also have a lot of CD’s. I did buy a portable CD player with Bluetooth. They do make a portable CD player where you can tune into a station on the radio & it will play the CD on the radio. Check Amazon.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:55 PM   #9

Default Bluetooth Available? AUX?

If her radio supports Bluetooth or AUX input there are a wide variety of portable CD players that support both. We carry this one for when we find interedting CD's in resale shops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 08-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
Have 1997 Xplorer HT Just like a roadtrek Has a radio Spouse drives Xc to bike and wants CD player Could just bring boom box and hook it to cigarette lighter/plug- he says this will skip But to install cd player seems to mean serious dashboard work Any other aftermarket ideas?
Is your Xplorer on the Dodge chassis? You can find the original radios with both a CD player and a tape player on ebay. I've had a 1998 Coach House and currently a 1999 Roadtrek both on the Dodge chassis. I've also owned 1997, 1998, and 2005 Dodge Grand Caravans and found that the radios were interchangeable in those. In fact, I transferred the radio from the 1998 Caravan to the Roadtrek because the CD player wasn't working in the one that was in the Roadtrek. I listen to audiobooks while driving and care more about having the CD and tape players than having all of the newest features. If you prefer to keep your current radio, they do make portable CD players that plug into car radios so you wouldn't need to plug in a boom box. I used one of those before, and it never skipped.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote