Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Class B Van Hard top Info and Maintenance FYI

Hello Everyone, I had to provide this post as FYI After just cleaning and waxing my hard top on my 2020 Travato this weekend, I found I was not happy to find some issues, and so glad I checked the whole top area. It has not been cleaned or waxed in over a year. This summer in Florida we had very bad heat from sun, and I am sure those in Southern Cal experienced the same sun baked issues. I now have a cover which should reduce some of the top deterioration. I was sorry to say (if any Winnebago techs are reading this or factory rep please upgrade these things) that preventative maintenance needed to be done.

1. I washed the top and found rust on the paint, from the brackets holding the solar panels. I put a coating of RV rubberized liquid electrical material on all the brackets. I also filled some small cracks and holes around the top areas that had roofing material as well. I put 303 protector on all plastic including the AC cover and Fan vent cover I would recommend anyone that has solar panels connected to the sports rack, consider replacing the brackets with aluminum brackets and stainless steel screws, then painting or coating the brackets. My next project in 2024.

2. The power sun shade awning plastic cover had faded a bit, and the end caps (cheap plastic) had paint peel off. I waxed this this entire part above and below. This is an expensive item, and should have something better to protect the top part of the awning cover.

3. Plastic electric ties on top, used for holding and tying wires had rotted off. I replaced these. Also I decided to use a coated electric wire to hold these items.

I waxed the entire metal top, including antenna's, vent covers, and the AC cover. Under the solar panels. This whole process took about 2-3 hours but it probably saved future grief on replacement of roof top items. I may put another coat of the roof tar or some material around all vents, and AC next year.

a. use stainless steel screws replacing existing.
b. buy the best wax you can find or research (I like Meguires)
c. keep anything plastic exposed to sun coated with 303 protector.

Thank you for letting me share this as I do recommend you get a ladder and have someone hold it for you as you go around and just inspect your whole top.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You can replace the plastic cable ties with stainless steel versions. ACE has them as does Amazon.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
You can replace the plastic cable ties with stainless steel versions. ACE has them as does Amazon.

They also make UV resistant plastic ties which do hold up a lot better than normal ones which fail very quickly.

They will usually be black and with a special resistant plastic compound used. I have had some on our septic wiring in the backyard for upwards of 15 years and they are still fine. But of course we live in Minnesota so not the same amount of sun as in the south.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have had good luck getting cable ties and other similar items from this place: cabletiesunlimited.com
Old 11-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
Hello Everyone, I had to provide this post as FYI After just cleaning and waxing my hard top on my 2020 Travato this weekend, I found I was not happy to find some issues, and so glad I checked the whole top area. It has not been cleaned or waxed in over a year. This summer in Florida we had very bad heat from sun, and I am sure those in Southern Cal experienced the same sun baked issues. I now have a cover which should reduce some of the top deterioration. I was sorry to say (if any Winnebago techs are reading this or factory rep please upgrade these things) that preventative maintenance needed to be done.

1. I washed the top and found rust on the paint, from the brackets holding the solar panels. I put a coating of RV rubberized liquid electrical material on all the brackets. I also filled some small cracks and holes around the top areas that had roofing material as well. I put 303 protector on all plastic including the AC cover and Fan vent cover I would recommend anyone that has solar panels connected to the sports rack, consider replacing the brackets with aluminum brackets and stainless steel screws, then painting or coating the brackets. My next project in 2024.

2. The power sun shade awning plastic cover had faded a bit, and the end caps (cheap plastic) had paint peel off. I waxed this this entire part above and below. This is an expensive item, and should have something better to protect the top part of the awning cover.

3. Plastic electric ties on top, used for holding and tying wires had rotted off. I replaced these. Also I decided to use a coated electric wire to hold these items.

I waxed the entire metal top, including antenna's, vent covers, and the AC cover. Under the solar panels. This whole process took about 2-3 hours but it probably saved future grief on replacement of roof top items. I may put another coat of the roof tar or some material around all vents, and AC next year.

a. use stainless steel screws replacing existing.
b. buy the best wax you can find or research (I like Meguires)
c. keep anything plastic exposed to sun coated with 303 protector.

Thank you for letting me share this as I do recommend you get a ladder and have someone hold it for you as you go around and just inspect your whole top.

Thank you to the 3 responses I got and will check out these different cable ties. when I get back off the road next week. So glad I get good info.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:24 AM   #6

Thank you for the info and emoticon giggles
Sea.in.SD is offline   Reply With Quote