Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Clearance lights out on 2000 RT

Clearance lights not working on at all the front cab (never have since we bought it 4 yrs ago), and only the center light in back. Bulbs are fine. What fuse might power these up if that's the problem.
2000 RT Versatile on Chevy 3500
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

many chev models have a fuse box under the driver's seat as well as the fuse box under the hood

I'm not familiar with your model, they may have used a relay
I would start at the working light and see if there is a loose wire extending from that to the non-working lights.

The rear lighting wiring is easy to get at on the chev and you'd be able to see if anything has been added by roadtrek or a previous owner

the fuses typically have metal contacts which extend through the top of the fuse to allow testing with meter probes

there are also replacement fuses with an led which allows for quick visual check of a blown fuse, many brands and sources- but like this:

https://www.wirthco.com/ledfuseacces...tvehicles.html

on my 2006 pleasure way ( on a 2005 chev) many of the fuses had corrosion on the legs which caused resistance and high(er) current demand and heat. I pulled each, cleaned with scotch bright and applied Deoxit

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I recently brought the rear clearance lights on our '01 200 back to life. This was easy since the lights are mounted on the removable cover panel over the air conditioner. The basic problem was dissimilar metals in contact. The screws that made the ground connection to the common ground bar had corroded away. I replaced them with stainless screws and nuts.

If your forward clearance lights have the same corrosion problem that is a hard one because the wiring inside that area of the body is inaccessible. Pop rivets might work assuming there is a common ground bar. I suppose I would use aluminum to minimize the chances of cracking the fiberglass.

PS. Regarding the A/C cover, the fasteners may be in poor shape and they may lose their watertight integrity when you take them apart. Then the roof will leak into the van. The fasteners are called well nuts or also neoprene machine screw anchors. They are rubber sleeves with a nut molded into the bottom. Tightening the screw expands them against the hole in the body, creating a seal. I've forgotten the size. Just measure the diameter of the holes in the roof.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The fuse is probably under the driver’s seat but the problem, as mentioned is probably with the ground. You could determine that with a multimeter and a separate ground wire to check for 12 volts. Once you are certain where the problem is you can work on a solution.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I had some clearance lights out on my 2006 RT 210P. Roadtrek had used a clip-on connector that was too big for the skinny wire GM uses in their light circuit. I had to remove the kitchen wall to get to the location where Roadtrek attached the wire. I could also have run a new wire and connected elsewhere. Check the power wire at the lights for 12v. If that is good then you probably have a bad ground, which you can check with an ohmeter to ground for continuity. Don't be surprised if both are bad; it can happen.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote