Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2023, 01:28 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Coachmen Nova 20D vs Winnebago Travato 59K

Would like to hear from owners of both of these RVs. How do they compare? Likes and dislikes. I currently own a 2006 Roadtrek 210 popular with twin rear beds (which is a must for us). How would they compare to my RV? Looking to upgrade. Thank you
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
Would like to hear from owners of both of these RVs. How do they compare? Likes and dislikes. I currently own a 2006 Roadtrek 210 popular with twin rear beds (which is a must for us). How would they compare to my RV? Looking to upgrade. Thank you
Just curious, what are the features of the new coaches that are attracting you as an upgrade from the 210P?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 02:27 AM   #3
Silver Member

Gravity style dump system ( no Macerator). Better and quieter heating and ac. Possibly better fuel mileage act
Old 06-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #4

Default Travato 59K

Quote:
I don't know much about the Coachmen; however, I bought a new 2020 Travato 59K and I couldn't be happier.
No mechanical or house issues at all from day one. The first ever RV after owning 11 of them, that I finally hit the jackpot. Easy to drive great MPG 17 Per gallon if you are careful driver. I coast to lights, and I keep it under 70 on the highway. Although I once creep up to 90 without realizing it. So, with all of that said, good luck on your decision.
Larry
Rancho Mirage, Ca.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
Gold Member

My 08210P has served us well but with 160K miles on it I've started to look at the new ones in order to have a narrow wish list if the need arises. Not being a Dodge fan I started out looking at the Ford Beyond but in the end I don't want/need the AWD and I don't want to deal with turbo's. So I moved onto the Ram platforms and have extensively studied the Roadtrek Chase and Zion, as well as the Coachman Nova 20C and 20D. I'm really torn between going with a generator again (I like the power diversity but I'm tired of the monthly 2 hour maintenance) vs lithium's, and I'm leaning towards the sofa vs. the twin bed setup. I think the sofa would be more comfortable for
reading/watching TV on rainy days and safer for passengers (e.g., grandchildren). My wife is also leaning towards the sofa even though
we typically sleep with a twin bed setup in our RV.

In the Roadtreks I like the fact that one can gravity dump or use the macerator, utilities are enclosed behind a lockable door, they typically
come without the ladder and/or the bike rack attachments (I don't want or need either and I think the ladder on the back door is a security issue). The Roadtrek solar panel(s) are the sturdier type, and the bathroom doors are expandable. On the negative side the Roadtrek black tanks are only 8.5 gallons, the shoreline in NOT a Smart Plug, and the beds are a tad smaller but will still work for us.

The Nova's have a Smart Plug shoreline, and we think better woodwork than the Roadtreks, and does offer the option of a large AGM battery with generator or going the lithium battery route.

We like the layouts in both models, and the appliances are the same or similar. CCC is better in both than our current 08120P. Gas mileage MAY be better, but I don't think very much based on feedback I've received.

I'm disappointed in both models because they both exclude basement drawers for outside storage, and a spare tire (something I've needed twice in seven years of travel).

I'm disappointed in the Ram chassis for several reasons; 1) the steering wheel is telescopic only, 2) low clearance, 3) height (can no longer make it thru the MacDonald's drive thru).

I've built a spreadsheet to compare these models and above are some of the pro's and con's of each. If I had to replace my RV today it would be one of these models, but I still don't know which one I would pick. None are the perfect RV for us, but we would adapt. I'd like a new one, but there are so many things we like about our '08 Roadtrek 210P we are currently happier with what we have!
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #6

Default Dodge vs Ford

Ii seems like you have decided. The Dodge Ram chassis is very quiet and easy to drive and I believe it has the best MPG. I have never been a fan of Dodge or any Chrysler product, I'm a Ford guy, but the Dodge Ram has opened my eyes, low cost maintenance as well.
As far as the generator goes, I understand they are fuel injected now and don't need to exercise it anymore.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:22 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post
Ii seems like you have decided. The Dodge Ram chassis is very quiet and easy to drive and I believe it has the best MPG. I have never been a fan of Dodge or any Chrysler product, I'm a Ford guy, but the Dodge Ram has opened my eyes, low cost maintenance as well.
As far as the generator goes, I understand they are fuel injected now and don't need to exercise it anymore.
Thanks for the info. I have not yet driven one so good to hear the Ram is quiet and easy to drive. Regarding the genny maintenance, I wasn't able to get an honest answer from several salespeople, so I looked it up myself, and the manufacturer still recommends a monthly run for 2 hours under 50% load.
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:47 AM   #8
Silver Member

bwatters60, great reply. I have a 2006 210P and I don't think it can be gravity dumped. I would love to see the spread sheet you made up also. What are the differences between the 06 and 08 210 models?
Old 06-23-2023, 01:03 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
bwatters60, great reply. I have a 2006 210P and I don't think it can be gravity dumped. I would love to see the spread sheet you made up also. What are the differences between the 06 and 08 210 models?

We seem to be seeing a bunch of interest in having both macerator and gravity backup dumping systems in class B's lately.

There are several very good discussions and information on that subject on this forum from several years ago, that may give some deeper insight and information on how to add the dual dump to existing vans of either method. It is not very hard to modify a system to dual dump in most cases.

IMO, it is one of those things that make so much sense to do, I don't understand why every RV doesn't come with a dual system.

We have had our dual dump system for many years now and although we have never needed the backup gravity dump, the knowledge it is there is great piece of mind when on a long trip.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #10

Good to know that, I do run my Gen. once a month for approx 45 minutes and so far no problems
Old 06-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #11
Silver Member

booster, where are the threads on adding a gravity dump system on Roadtrek 210? I can't seem to find them
Old 06-26-2023, 04:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
booster, where are the threads on adding a gravity dump system on Roadtrek 210? I can't seem to find them

Here is the one that started it all for the forum, I think. It is for our 190 but the 210 is going to be very similar. There are some discussions that are about 210s also, but I didn't have time to dig for them.

Peteco is probably the best source on the dual dump for a 210 as he was in on all the discussions and has a 210.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ions-3249.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote