Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 AM   #101
Silver Member

No this is plain old Dean, from Albuquerque. Hopeful Class B Owner Soon
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #102
Platinum Member

One of the very first Ecotreks off the line at Roadtrek was my 2015 170 which was delivered in August, 2015. It was obviously undertested and untried and unworkable... should never have been even offered. They put in two different batteries over about 6 weeks and when the second one died, I went back to AGMs.

A year and a half later, it appears that the majority are working. BUT, there is a learning curve to keeping them working and I, for one, would never touch them again. Better the devil I know... LOL

They are still working out the kinks and what is still unknown is the long term functionality and cost of upgrading when eventually needed.

I see zero evidence that Hymer has any intention whatsoever in closing roadtrek or moving to the US. Why would they? One thing that they are not is stupid. They know the RV business in Europe, but not how it all goes in NA. They need RT's knowledge in this part of the world... and dealing across our borders which is very different than the EU. They have a functioning factory and have purchased land nearby where they are building a second. They get a core of factory workers who need only better direction and management.

If our economy doesn't implode again, they have a good chance of making a success of this... but they do really need to get the RT quality control system fixed... NOW.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #103
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
::

I see zero evidence that Hymer has any intention whatsoever in closing roadtrek or moving to the US. Why would they?

...not to mention the benefits of the Canadian exchange rate.

Why would they want to move to the US?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #104
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
...not to mention the benefits of the Canadian exchange rate.

Why would they want to move to the US?

You would need to ask Great West that question?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
In 2014-2015 when Ecotrek was introduced there were owner cockpit errors caused by inadequate dealer orientation (e.g. inverter always left on) plus system problems principally caused by their lithium battery management system(s) parasitic loads shutting down the battery(s) leaving them without any recharge path from the alternator or shore power. But apparently these problems have been addressed in current production. Our 2017 800ECO seems to behave the way it's supposed to. More time, of course, will tell.
Not diasagreeing but every time i read a comment like this somebody getting a current Roadtrek has issues.

Just the way it is.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #106
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Not diasagreeing but every time i read a comment like this somebody getting a current Roadtrek has issues.

Just the way it is.
What sort of problems are being experienced in current deliveries?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
One of the very first Ecotreks off the line at Roadtrek was my 2015 170 which was delivered in August, 2015. It was obviously undertested and untried and unworkable... should never have been even offered. They put in two different batteries over about 6 weeks and when the second one died, I went back to AGMs.

A year and a half later, it appears that the majority are working. BUT, there is a learning curve to keeping them working and I, for one, would never touch them again. Better the devil I know... LOL

They are still working out the kinks and what is still unknown is the long term functionality and cost of upgrading when eventually needed.

I see zero evidence that Hymer has any intention whatsoever in closing roadtrek or moving to the US. Why would they? One thing that they are not is stupid. They know the RV business in Europe, but not how it all goes in NA. They need RT's knowledge in this part of the world... and dealing across our borders which is very different than the EU. They have a functioning factory and have purchased land nearby where they are building a second. They get a core of factory workers who need only better direction and management.

If our economy doesn't implode again, they have a good chance of making a success of this... but they do really need to get the RT quality control system fixed... NOW.

Hymer only needs two things - skilled workers and knowledge of the US & Canadian regulatory requirements. That is what has been on drag on their plans to date. Engineering, marketing and customer desires they have a good handle on. So far, they haven't listened to all Roadtrek's "knowledge" that Americans love hardwood cabinets and black tank toilets!

Their big push is going to be the trailers. That's where the money is, not vans.

How "valuable" the Roadtrek brand is in North America is anybody's guess at this point. Average Joe American has never heard of Roadtrek. They know what Airstream and Winnebago is at almost a 100% hit rate.

It's my guess and forecast that the Roadtrek name will stick around. But those vans will definately be Hymers, just re-branded as Roadtreks. There just isn't much value to be gained from having seperate and distinct production lines - products that are so fundamentally different.

My other guess is that building the trailer business, they are starting from zero, so since they have a european flavor anyways, that calling them Hymer is the way to go. You could just as easily create a whole new brand for them, but why bother?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #108
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hymer eventually transition the name Roadtrek from a brand to a style of RV, specifically a van-based motorhome. Best case scenario "roadtrek" becomes synonymous with van-based RV just like Winnebago is the go to word for much of the non-RVing public.

Maintaining two brand names doesn't make sense, especially considering the size of the class b market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Hymer only needs two things - skilled workers and knowledge of the US & Canadian regulatory requirements. That is what has been on drag on their plans to date. Engineering, marketing and customer desires they have a good handle on. So far, they haven't listened to all Roadtrek's "knowledge" that Americans love hardwood cabinets and black tank toilets!

Their big push is going to be the trailers. That's where the money is, not vans.

How "valuable" the Roadtrek brand is in North America is anybody's guess at this point. Average Joe American has never heard of Roadtrek. They know what Airstream and Winnebago is at almost a 100% hit rate.

It's my guess and forecast that the Roadtrek name will stick around. But those vans will definately be Hymers, just re-branded as Roadtreks. There just isn't much value to be gained from having seperate and distinct production lines - products that are so fundamentally different.

My other guess is that building the trailer business, they are starting from zero, so since they have a european flavor anyways, that calling them Hymer is the way to go. You could just as easily create a whole new brand for them, but why bother?
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #109
Platinum Member

The AKTIV 2.0 is launched!

Typical Roadtrek's style of an unofficial launch of the AKTIV 2.0!

2017 Hymer Aktiv 2.0, Class B+ RV For Sale in Winfield, British Columbia | Voyager RV ARRIVING LATE MAY AKTIV 2.0 | RVT.com - 14262

OMG!

My guess is that they couldn't build Staci's special BTO AKTIV with a black tank and cherry cabinets [or got orders to abort the mission! ]. They delayed the order voluntarily and are now selling it as a special AKTIV 2.0 in BC.

(IMO using a dinette in front with a sofa in the back is not a good way to optimize space usage in a small camper. You either chose one or the other. You lose very precious storage space).

As said before many times, if I was at Hymer's head office, I would fire EHGNA management on the spot for compromising the introduction of an innovative contemporary campervan to the NA market. They don't believe in the product their new owner is asking them to sell.

Maybe they are right. It is not easy to change the very dated and traditional North American RV culture.

What's next on the entertaining HYTREK reality show?

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #110
BBQ
Platinum Member

They should use the RT bath.

I want RT's one-piece white fiberglass enclosure.

I want to use a hose to wash it down.
I don't want to spend my vacation cleaning.

I have no desire to look at fake wood during my vacation.

I have no desire to clean the nooks and crannies of a complicated bath.

I want something that is mold proof.
Mold likes to live in nooks and crannies.

I want to be able to move inside the bath.

A hinged sink is asking for trouble; it will break. Trust me.

A swivel toilet seat is asking for trouble; it will leak. It will break.

The fewer parts the better.
The fewer moving parts the better.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #111
Platinum Member

It does indicate that it is not going to be delivered until May...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #112
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

2017 Hymer Aktiv 2.0, Class B+ RV For Sale in Winfield, British Columbia | Voyager RV ARRIVING LATE MAY AKTIV 2.0 | RVT.com - 14262

OMG!

My guess is that they couldn't build Staci's special BTO AKTIV with a black tank and cherry cabinets [or got orders to abort the mission! ]. They delayed the order voluntarily and are now selling it as a special AKTIV 2.0 in BC.

>Description:
>ON ORDER LATE MAY 2017

ie. delivery in Aug 2o17?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #113
Adminstrator

Folks, some posts have been removed for attacking and/or discussing other members, neither of which is permitted by our rules.

Please discuss the topic and not each other.

Thanks!

Adios, Dirk
Support Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

OMG!

(IMO using a dinette in front with a sofa in the back is not a good way to optimize space usage in a small camper. You either chose one or the other. You lose very precious storage space).

As said before many times, if I was at Hymer's head office, I would fire EHGNA management on the spot for compromising the introduction of an innovative contemporary campervan to the NA market. They don't believe in the product their new owner is asking them to sell.

Maybe they are right. It is not easy to change the very dated and traditional North American RV culture.

What's next on the entertaining HYTREK reality show?

lol.
this is very close to my build. Good point about storage though...
StaciJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #115
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Support Admin View Post
Folks, some posts have been removed for attacking and/or discussing other members, neither of which is permitted by our rules.

Please discuss the topic and not each other.

Thanks!

Adios, Dirk
+1 +1 +1

Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciJames View Post
Jim immediately refunded my deposit. It's actually the most responsive he's been throughout this whole process. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to build this van. Though I’m not sure why he struck the deal in the first place.

I’m either going to move forward on what I was originally going to buy, a 2017 PW Lexor (beautiful inside, quality build, good company, 285 watt solar + 2000 watt inverter but probably the worst choice for cold weather which I would like to be able to do- though not critical) or a Travato G (less expensive, has my desired 2nd row work/eating space and by far the best, most helpful group on FB but a really uninspiring interior, smaller bed, lower-tech).
I'm inclined to believe that JH in fact did want to build your custom coach but was frustrated by RT engineering, RT legal and most significant, RT marketing. Filling this order would have set a precedent that would have resulted in a flurry of subsequent orders for unique options that would inevitably clutter up the production lines. I hazard the guess that if your order had received less publicity and flown under the radar, your chances for success might have improved because RT has built one-offs now and then.

PW builds well crafted coaches. I looked at the Lexor last year and noted some nice features, e.g. the multiplex wiring arrangement,the larger bath area, the cooking location and adequate solar. But other areas for me fell short. The lithium battery ah capacity was only 200ah which seemed to be a little anemic. Although the Promaster will support an engine generator, PW still only offers the Onan, which for me was a deal breaker. I believe for 2017, PW is providing a 2500 watt inverter but it will still be supported only by a single alternator.

Whatever direction you go, it's worth paying close attention to the warranty provided. They seem to differ remarkably, ranging from stingy to generous:

WGO has a one year warranty which seems quite satisfactory for most of their customers. but for me would be unacceptable.

PW offers a five year warranty but includes some significant conditions. The warranty is not transferable so the only the initial owner has the protection. The trickle down effect is that a relatively new coach when sold during the warranty period may have its sale price somewhat diminished since the buyer does not retain this benefit. The other constraint is that the PW 5 year warranty period covers only what they manufacture. It doesn't cover the appliances beyond the warranty period offered by the appliance provider. So if your appliance has an OEM warranty of one year and it fails past that period, you are SOL. It's called a Freedom Warranty but it seems to provide more freedom to PW than it does to the customer.

Roadtrek's warranty as far as I know is the most comprehensive in the RV biz - it's transferable, batteries included, for a full six years with unlimited mileage, the only exception being AGM batteries if equipped. Another advantage is the RT policy of reimbursing the repair facilities used for warranty work at the standard repair facility labor rate, not some diminished factory labor or flat rate which means that if you need warranty work done, you are not treated as a low priority customer by the repair facility.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #117
Bronze Member

Will be interesting to see if and when that unit actually shows up at Voyager RV in Winfield. ‘Late May’ doesn’t sound too convincing...
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #118
Platinum Member

How is a van considered a B+? The converters and dealers sure know how to confuse buyers with BS.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #119
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post

Whatever direction you go, it's worth paying close attention to the warranty provided. They seem to differ remarkably, ranging from stingy to generous:

Roadtrek's warranty as far as I know is the most comprehensive in the RV biz - it's transferable, batteries included, for a full six years with unlimited mileage, the only exception being AGM batteries if equipped. Another advantage is the RT policy of reimbursing the repair facilities used for warranty work at the standard repair facility labor rate, not some diminished factory labor or flat rate which means that if you need warranty work done, you are not treated as a low priority customer by the repair facility.
With all due respect, warranties are worth nothing if you end up having to fight with the company and travel to their home province and sit on their doorstep in order to try and get them to respond. There are lots of posts suggesting that some companies are not very responsive to consumer problems. All I am saying is that if someone is comfortable with any company’s warranty, after researching their track records, then go for it. Simply relying on a written warranty coverage is possibly setting you up for a lot of heart ache down the road.
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #120
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
With all due respect, warranties are worth nothing if you end up having to fight with the company and travel to their home province and sit on their doorstep in order to try and get them to respond. There are lots of posts suggesting that some companies are not very responsive to consumer problems. All I am saying is that if someone is comfortable with any company’s warranty, after researching their track records, then go for it. Simply relying on a written warranty coverage is possibly setting you up for a lot of heart ache down the road.
I would strongly support this statement, as action counts, promises don't.

Past history, but we bought a new 2007 C190P in October of 2008. It had been on the dealer lot for over a year. Batteries were toast, probably due to never being maintained at the dealer, but we didn't find out for a couple of weeks when they had no capacity to speak of. Roadtrek that was a warranty item that went to the vendor, in this case Exide. Exide said the warranty started when the batteries were installed at Roadtrek, not when we bought it. Dealer wouldn't help at all. Bottom line is that we had two choices. Spend $200-300 on new batteries or go to small claims court. We just bought our own batteries and said we paid more for the van, but really understanding that we had been run through the wringer. After a number of years and lots of web complaining by many folks of the same issue, Roadtrek started saying that the battery warranty was theirs and started when the unit was bought, so I wrote them and asked for compensation for the NO warranty situation we had---DENIED---. Same true for all others that had the issue and forced the change in policy, by speaking up.

Bottom line, for us, is that promises are useless unless backed up with action, and a basic sense of what is right, not just what they can get away with legally. How many folks would buy a new Roadtrek if they knew the batteries had exactly ZERO warranty, and they may have to spend a lot of money immediately on their brand new van?

I hope that Hymer has improved the situation, but past history is still there with Hammil in control, so I wouldn't bet on it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hymer