Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Dometic Fridge Question - 2015 Pleasureway Excel

Hi there,
I am stumped and hope someone here can help me out!

I bought a 2015 PW Excel last year and had some great trips. Getting ready for the summer vacation, noticed that the fridge is not working (see below) and self-diagnosed that the control unit has died.

Looking for a replacement control unit, the guys at Dinosaur Electronics were incredibly helpful and told me that my model fridge (Dometic RM8505) was a European model and the control unit (P-870) was only sold in Europe, no spare parts at all in the US.

I am trying to find the spare board via the European Dometic distributors but I wonder if someone here on this forum had the same issue and can help. Apparently, PW installed European Dometic models for a while, so there should be a few out there....

Many thanks, really appreciate all the support and advice here!

PS. Fridge behavior: On-button does nothing. Shore-power button press lights up the front panel and "clicks" a relay / solenoid in the back. Letting go of the button, everything goes dark again.
PPS. Dometic USA hasnt replied to emails yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2032.jpg (157.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5252 (1).jpg (155.2 KB, 17 views)
OSCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

OSCA,

Where are you located?

I am in the middle of having my new DC Fridge installed at Lodgemobile in Burbank, Los Angeles.

The owner Mark is the Guru of Fridge Mouth to Mouth in Southern California-will ask him now
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You could try contacting thedometicguy.com. I believe they have boards (not sure about your fridge) by other mfgs.

Also a place called Laurel Hurst Distributing might be another lead. You'd have to google them.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Guru says; even though its not an ideal fix, you may want to get a new fridge.

He says even if you get the part, it could be something else or in the future, something else goes.

Unless you can find a reliable source of European spare parts.

You can call Mark if you want, he said there are no easy to get spare parts in the USA.

You could try calling Pleasureway & see of they have an inside line as to the parts.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Lodgemobile Mark & Scott
(81 563-2072
1220-A South Victory Blvd
Burbank, CA 91352
[Other] 1220-A South Victory Blvd Burbank CA 91352
Old 07-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

any contact with PW?

they chose that unit, perhaps they have had this issue before or have parts

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
OSCA,

Where are you located?

I am in the middle of having my new DC Fridge installed at Lodgemobile in Burbank, Los Angeles.

The owner Mark is the Guru of Fridge Mouth to Mouth in Southern California-will ask him now
Thanks! I am east coast / Maryland. I called a few local RV shops, they can't find the RM number in their inventory. Would be great to get info if I could "hotwire" (safely) the fridge with a different control unit...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
any contact with PW?

they chose that unit, perhaps they have had this issue before or have parts

Mike
Thanks, I called PW and they advise me to call Dometic US. Or a local PW dealer who then will call Dometic. I'll try that next but am not holding my breath...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
The Guru says; even though its not an ideal fix, you may want to get a new fridge.

He says even if you get the part, it could be something else or in the future, something else goes.

Unless you can find a reliable source of European spare parts.

You can call Mark if you want, he said there are no easy to get spare parts in the USA.

You could try calling Pleasureway & see of they have an inside line as to the parts.
Yeah, I was worried about that too. If I can get it fixed now, I may have the same issue in the future. (may have to sell the RV fast )
Old 07-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
You could try contacting thedometicguy.com. I believe they have boards (not sure about your fridge) by other mfgs.

Also a place called Laurel Hurst Distributing might be another lead. You'd have to google them.
Those a great leads, will call them tomorrow. Appreciate it!
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCA View Post
Yeah, I was worried about that too. If I can get it fixed now, I may have the same issue in the future. (may have to sell the RV fast )
CALL MARK if you need confirmation.

I think you are exaggerating when it comes to your statement about needing to sell the RV just because of the fridge?

Is your unit still under warranty?

If its under warranty, scream bloody murder.

Mark himself has no idea what the logic behind Pleasureway's decision to put European ONLY parts into North American units - he has dealt with this many time.

Lodgemobile said that with many Dometic units that under warranty, many times he will order a part supposed to be in stock & available days later that sometimes its a month or two & still no parts delivered & the clients are irate so Dometic end up sending a brand new fridge.

Everything is now made in China.

He said "Dometic doesn't care ..."

All the competent experts that him & his Father have cultivated over 50 years in the business have all retired.

They are becoming a monopoly after being bought out by venture capitalists who just keep throwing money at the company as the continue to buy smaller companies.

All these Van Lifers with their CFX & CRX are going to have a rude awakening when their units stop working, along with other companies like Whynter & Iceco, they never perform to spec & like when a Horse dies, there is no magic formula.

Stay away from Dometic, 2 way, 3 way, DC, whatever. They are crap. Inefficient. Parts are becoming more & more difficult & the China Trade War & Covid is only making a bad situation, worse.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Thanks!
I think you are exaggerating when it comes to your statement about needing to sell the RV just because of the fridge?

yes of course, 'twas a joke. Unless of course you want to buy it. Fridge may need a little work

Is your unit still under warranty?
If its under warranty, scream bloody murder.

No, its a 2015 and I bought it second (3rd? 4th?) hand. Its a good van...

Mark himself has no idea what the logic behind Pleasureway's decision to put European ONLY parts into North American units - he has dealt with this many time.

I spoke with Dinosaur Electronics. They were super helpful and made the same point. I.e: "what was PW thinking".

Stay away from Dometic, 2 way, 3 way, DC, whatever. They are crap. Inefficient. Parts are becoming more & more difficult & the China Trade War & Covid is only making a bad situation, worse.

Would you care to recommend an alternative?

I have a call out with Dometic in Germany (I speak German). If I can source the parts from there, it's all good (I guess, until the next time at least). If not, I think I'll try to jury rig a manual control (not touching the propane, though, just 110V/12V). Can't be that hard.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

If you have the skills & the solar system, go for it.

Otherwise I would recommend NOVAKOOL, ISOTHERM, VITRIFRIGO* or TRUCK FRIDGE*, **.

*all the same company
**truckfridge carries very small units, made by Isotherm, sold under thier brand to North American truckers, etc.

Talk to STUART @ NOVAKOOL - Novakool STUART
[Mobile] (604) 523-6515

Or Brandon Lombard @ ISOTHERM - Isotherm
[Mobile] (954) 984-8448

Or Jamie @ Vitrifrigo JAIME
[Mobile] (954) 979-7737
[Home] orders@vfamerica.com
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Great advice, thanks. Really appreciate it!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

OSCA,

Any luck getting the part/s?

You might want to call Mark & see if he knows a workaround, he is always busy but around 12.30 pst time he is usually taking his lunch.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
OSCA,

Any luck getting the part/s?

You might want to call Mark & see if he knows a workaround, he is always busy but around 12.30 pst time he is usually taking his lunch.
Thanks! I emailed Dometic in Germany and not only did they reply (gasp!) but they also seem to know which part I need (at least the controller itself, I don't have the information yet for the "eyebrow"). I am now trying to work out how I can purchase it and send it to the US.

My local repair guy called me back and recommend to try to adjust the wires and see if something had come loose / became dirty and the connection failed. Solid advice but cleaning contacts etc didn't fix the issue...
Old 07-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks! I emailed Dometic in Germany and not only did they reply (gasp!) but they also seem to know which part I need (at least the controller itself, I don't have the information yet for the "eyebrow"). I am now trying to work out how I can purchase it and send it to the US.

My local repair guy called me back and recommend to try to adjust the wires and see if something had come loose / became dirty and the connection failed. Solid advice but cleaning contacts etc didn't fix the issue...
With weak BP a lot of folks on the Sprinter Forum get items from UK, so shipping to US is very common for UK dealers. Some of them have prices in USD. I bought second Thetford cassette for ½ US prices from https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/jacksons-...?ul_noapp=true, and a few items from Heatso for Eberspacher.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I used to own a Triumph Stag. One of history's worst cars. It always amazed me that I could get a starter switch assembly from England and pay only $5 postage. Most of my parts.....including driveshaft......came from England. Yes............the car did need.............attention.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:

It seems you have tried everything mechanically.

Did you try Pleasureway?

I know that there were some very pissed off owners in North America & theregore an inventory of parts for that fridge - at the very least they may also help you with the troubleshooting.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Thanks, yes, I tried Pleasureway - they told me to call Dometic. If I can't fix the issue with the spare parts I will purchase from Germany, I'll get a new fridge, I guess.

Tags
dometic fridge, fridge, pleasureway excel