Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #1

Default Feedback on Chassis Selection

Hello all,

I am a long-time reader 1st time poster. I am in the final stages of saving, researching, and deciding on which Van chassis to go with to convert my B dream on. I would love everyone's expert opinion on the Sprinter v. Promaster. I'm on the fence between initial cost, cost to operate, and cost to maintain the Sprinter Vs. the perceived reliability and longevity concerns I read about the Promaster. Plan to retire and use the Van 3-4 months out of the year as our vacation home.

Any advice or feedback on my dilemma?

Duker
Duker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would suggest to decide on diesel versus gas powertrain first. I have Sprinter since 2013, had issues with it, but not dramatic. Diesel days are over unless you need huge torque for towing, my choice today would be gas. Promaster / Fiat owns 80% of campervan market in EU, must be a reason.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Not an expert, but I love driving diesels in general. However, for my first RV, I went with a ProMaster, for several reasons -
  • Cheaper (both initial and ongoing costs)
  • Wider
  • Easier to find mechanics/shops (its a Dodge... not a Daimler)
  • Less likely to go into limp mode due to some random exhaust sensor crapping out in the middle of nowhere
  • In some areas, gas is easier to find than diesel

There were quite a few things falling off and flapping around, as expected for the lower scale. Generally I like it though, just have to adjust driving a bit, especially in mountains. The Pentastar 6 cyl seems a bit under-powered for what it has to pull up the hills. Shifting down in time and flooring it helps. Maybe the new 9 speed tranny is better with that, not sure. It seems to mostly just add 1 usable gear (the 7th).
Old 08-10-2023, 08:29 PM   #4

Great feedback - Thank you both so much for replying! Was reading Car and Driver reviews (albeit 2018/2019 model years) and there were concerns with the Promaster Tranny that were scaring me. I have been leaning that way however.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:21 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Any reason you have not mentioned the Transits, which do seem to have a lot going for them, especially in the power department.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:43 AM   #6
Platinum Member

what about the venerable Chevy express 3500? Throw a cap on one and build away! Thats what I would do
Old 08-11-2023, 01:46 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Maybe we have just been fortunate. We have a 2016 Promaster 3500Ext converted by Safari Condo and have not had any issues whatsoever with the chassis (or the conversion) after 100,000 miles. $35-50 oil changes every 8K miles, inexpensive routine fluid changes, one chassis battery change after 6 years (Costco cheap) and now on our 3rd set of tires (placed at 97K miles). First "American" car I've owned in 40 years of driving and by far the cheapest vehicle I've ever maintained. Love the security of having a chassis that many apparently can work on throughout the USA. The Transit wasn't available in 2015 when we placed our order. Just my 2 cents.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
what about the venerable Chevy express 3500?

Like Kurt mine is built on the chev 3500.

can be fixed anywhere, by anyone with parts from NAPA.

costs of ownership likely to be lower than other van options
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
what about the venerable Chevy express 3500? Throw a cap on one and build away! Thats what I would do
For me the major disadvantage for old NA style vans low door entry even with added high roof.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:59 AM   #10
Platinum Member

but, once inside one does not suffer from claustrophobia ..... ��
Old 08-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
NA style vans low door entry even with added high roof.

Never thought about it- the entry works fine for me at 6'2" the natural movement in as I step up works, as does the exit.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Never thought about it- the entry works fine for me at 6'2" the natural movement in as I step up works, as does the exit.
It didn’t bother me with our 1977/1985 Westfalias, but since with stiffer spine I prefer tall doors.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
but, once inside one does not suffer from claustrophobia ..... ��
Isn’t claustrophobia related to layout? van sizes are similar.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Mercedes Sprinters are expensive to buy and repair. But they are also comfortable and reliable. I can't compare them to other RV options since I have only owned a Sprinter based Roadtrek but it has been a pleasure to drive. It has a picture window out the front to watch the scenery go by and lots of windows and natural light and views when in camp. That said, someone I talked to before we bought was that you get a class b to live OUT of not to live IN.

I would consider all of those things. How much time will you spend driving. How much will you spend parked. How much time will you spend where the weather keeps you indoors. How much stuff do you "need" to fit into it, considering both space and weight. How will it handle towing if that is a need.

For us, we spend a lot of time driving since we bought the RV for travel. I have found I can spend several hours in the sprinter without being completely stiff as a result. Whenever we use another vehicle I discover the luxury it is with the Sprinter to be able to stretch your legs while driving. And the luxury of having large clear view of the countryside.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #15

Thank you all again for the replies - I have been told by several dealerships in my area that the Transit is no longer available for purchase other than Fleet POs. I would definitely have considered if I thought I could source one. I am currently leaning towards the ProMaster specifically because of the cost to maintain.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Hello all,

I am a long-time reader 1st time poster. I am in the final stages of saving, researching, and deciding on which Van chassis to go with to convert my B dream on. I would love everyone's expert opinion on the Sprinter v. Promaster. I'm on the fence between initial cost, cost to operate, and cost to maintain the Sprinter Vs. the perceived reliability and longevity concerns I read about the Promaster. Plan to retire and use the Van 3-4 months out of the year as our vacation home.

Any advice or feedback on my dilemma?

Duker
Don’t think you can go far wrong with either. We have a 2019 Promaster 3500 ext WB window van chassis up-fitted by Thor. Some would call this the worst possible B van scenario. But our experience has been good so far @ > 50,000 miles.

Promaster is gasoline. We get have gotten 17.5 mpg since new.

Promaster has really low ground clearance. If you are building an overland adventure van look elsewhere. If you are going to stay on maintained gravel and dirt roads you’ll be fine.

The Promaster is larger inside than the Sprinter.

If you are going to add a large lithium battery bank the second alternator option in the Promaster is an abomination. Low to the ground, subject to damage from curbs and debris.

Towing - our Promaster weighs in fully loaded close to its GVWR of 9350 lbs and GCWR is 11,500 lbs leaving little extra weight for towing. Not an issue for us as we got the van to never have tow a trailer again.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:57 PM   #17

Default Sprinter vs Promaster

I have a 2019 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 diesel. It is a Pleasure Way Plateau TS. I like the Diesel quite a bit. It has plenty of power. We live in the mountains of California and there are a lot of steep grades. It handles them all with excellent results. It is true, the diesels are more expensive to maintain. I have had no issues, except minor software. I get 18 MPG consistently. On the freeway at 70 MPH I average over 24 MPG. I use a travel card from TSG for diesel purchases at truck stops usually 20-50 cents a gallon cheaper than buying at traditional diesel stations. I prefer the diesel as compared to gas powered. I usually pass them by on any mountain grade. The other issue, if you travel a lot, is to look fore very well build cabinets. Not stapled together but screwed and of solid wood. Those are the issues when rattling around on road trips with less expensive stapled cabinets.
Calsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #18
Platinum Member

226,300 miles on our 2014 PM. If it were totaled today, PM is the only replacement I would consider.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:51 PM   #19

I think the ford transit is a solid choice
BikerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #20
Platinum Member

A lot of decisions are more of the converter's offerings. Some have multiple options but a lot don't or can't offer some desires like 4x4. DIYers have a choice obviously. I never considered any converter except Advanced RV and they only convert the Mercedes Benz Sprinter and I suspect they were the only converter that could execute a van that I totally designed with no compromises in quality to be competitive with other converters and I wasn't capable of doing it as a DIYer or if I could, I couldn't do it as well.

Diesel engines seem to be the debit for the MB Sprinter and that is a big deal and deal breaker for many. Other than that the looks, quality and functional build design of the Sprinter are better in my opinion. After 16 years of diesel Class B ownership starting with the only option for a high roof van in 2005 vs. turtle tops I didn't care for, I've gotten comfortable with diesel and have had no problems with the engine.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote