Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I believe my 24 is 80ah. I don't recall seeing one on the market that's higher. Perspective: my Dometic is old. There is no control board sapping power. 12v or 120v get's simply directed to the respective heating element when on those sources. We don't boondock. But when we're at a place like Bryce, where you don't drive within the park, we do remain stationary. Camped on BLM land near the Colorado in AZ close to friends who had a large rig and jeep. We didn't drive the RV. Without solar the battery depleted after 2 days to the point that the alarms were going off at night due to lack of power. Had to start up van during the night to get by. Second trip to same location months later with the solar: no problem. But, am I correct in assuming that if I add a 2nd battery that the panel would not be capable of topping off both batteries in the same period of time?
You say your fridge is old but if it is the original equipment in a 1997 PW, it isn't all that old. I'm surprised that there is no control board. How do you execute ignition for the propane burner? What's the model number of your fridge?

Re adding a battery: it doesn't affect your solar recharging capability or charge pattern. Yes, doubling battery capacity could double the period required for solar recharge if the coach load doubles, but if the load level remains the same, both batteries only require 1/2 the amount of recharge that a single battery would. And a plus for doubling capacity is that it is more likely that you will keep the depth of discharge of both batteries to less than 50%.

BTW, if space permits, when you replace your coach battery or batteries, going to a group 27 or 31 would increase your ah capacity by 25%.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote