Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2024, 03:29 AM   #41

Seriously considering picking up a Strada ION. Love the battery capacity and being gen free.

Im looking for info on charge times running the alternator - using online calculators and a 280 amp alternator Im getting 4 hours run time approx from 20% to full. Can you share what your real life experience has been?

Secondly - online reviewers suggest idling the engine as a suitable replacement for the generator while others caution idling a Sprinter engine. How do you feel about that?

Thanks in advance for your insights!!
Davestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:25 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestic View Post
Seriously considering picking up a Strada ION. Love the battery capacity and being gen free.

Im looking for info on charge times running the alternator - using online calculators and a 280 amp alternator Im getting 4 hours run time approx from 20% to full. Can you share what your real life experience has been?

Secondly - online reviewers suggest idling the engine as a suitable replacement for the generator while others caution idling a Sprinter engine. How do you feel about that?

Be aware that the entire battery bank capacity may not be considered usable and could have limits at 20% on the low end and 90-100% on the high end, depending on the setup.

We have that size alternator and Wakespeed on our 618ah drop in battery setup. The Wakespeed will be controlling how fast the batteries will charge, almost certainly as that is what they do best.

They are calcing out at 1000ah in 4 hours (250ah per hour) which probably based on the max hot output of the alternator specification. The problem is that is not necessarily what it will be able to run at for 4 hours as it will overheat and the Wakespeed will turn the output down.

Avanti had that same alternator in a Sprinter, I am pretty sure, and data he put up showed that he was getting about 165ah per hour in his last Sprinter while charging AGM batteries with a Balmar regulator. It was at highway speed and I think a warm day so decent alternator cooling is likely. It was graphed and showing the alternator output cycling up and down on the high temp switch. The Wakespeed probably will do similar as it is capable of driving the alternator much harder than the alternator heat will allow. The best thing is to set the Wakespeed to a reasonable level of output that is just below the point where it starts to cycle up and down to help preserve everything better IMO. At idle, even elevated speed high idle, you will have worse alternator cooling so output would be even lower, I think. A Sprinter on high idle is not particularly quiet and will generating a lot of heat under the van also so check that part out also to see if it would be tolerable to you and any other campers around you. Of course many campgrounds don't allow generators all the time and some not at all. We charge a 120amps maximum and reduce it at idle to limit heat in the alternator and engine compartment and it keeps up with our use without issue. We often stay 3 or more days in one place and often don't charge between stops unless needed. We went 6 days without charging on our last trip and still were at over 30% SOC which we set as low limit.

The question of idling Sprinters is "spirited" ever time it comes up and lots of discussions on this forum so some past threads might interest you Mercedes says only within so short timeframes and frequent highway driving, some people say no long idling, others are that concerned. We have a Chevy gasser so no input on real world but with the particulate filters now days it makes sense they would get plugged sooner than normal with lots of idling, IMO. How fast, I have no idea.

Others will certainly have comments on the idling though, and many are owners of them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:31 PM   #43
Platinum Member

I am reluctant to idle our Sprinter much because it is loud and obnoxious to any neighbors and it also doesn't seem great for an engine. it is also unnecessary for us because we drive at least a little every day and it takes so little driving time to recover our daily battery usage from our alternator. We rarely camp in the same place for several days without driving. I can often drive 20 min per day into town and completely recharge the batteries.

It is useful to figure exactly how you plan to use the van and then do the full energy calculations for your anticipated usage. Unless you are going to try to use the AC off the battery, you will probably use much less battery capacity than you might think.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Be aware that the entire battery bank capacity may not be considered usable and could have limits at 20% on the low end and 90-100% on the high end, depending on the setup.

We have that size alternator and Wakespeed on our 618ah drop in battery setup. The Wakespeed will be controlling how fast the batteries will charge, almost certainly as that is what they do best.

They are calcing out at 1000ah in 4 hours (250ah per hour) which probably based on the max hot output of the alternator specification. The problem is that is not necessarily what it will be able to run at for 4 hours as it will overheat and the Wakespeed will turn the output down.

Avanti had that same alternator in a Sprinter, I am pretty sure, and data he put up showed that he was getting about 165ah per hour in his last Sprinter while charging AGM batteries with a Balmar regulator. It was at highway speed and I think a warm day so decent alternator cooling is likely. It was graphed and showing the alternator output cycling up and down on the high temp switch. The Wakespeed probably will do similar as it is capable of driving the alternator much harder than the alternator heat will allow. The best thing is to set the Wakespeed to a reasonable level of output that is just below the point where it starts to cycle up and down to help preserve everything better IMO. At idle, even elevated speed high idle, you will have worse alternator cooling so output would be even lower, I think. A Sprinter on high idle is not particularly quiet and will generating a lot of heat under the van also so check that part out also to see if it would be tolerable to you and any other campers around you. Of course many campgrounds don't allow generators all the time and some not at all. We charge a 120amps maximum and reduce it at idle to limit heat in the alternator and engine compartment and it keeps up with our use without issue. We often stay 3 or more days in one place and often don't charge between stops unless needed. We went 6 days without charging on our last trip and still were at over 30% SOC which we set as low limit.

The question of idling Sprinters is "spirited" ever time it comes up and lots of discussions on this forum so some past threads might interest you Mercedes says only within so short timeframes and frequent highway driving, some people say no long idling, others are that concerned. We have a Chevy gasser so no input on real world but with the particulate filters now days it makes sense they would get plugged sooner than normal with lots of idling, IMO. How fast, I have no idea.

Others will certainly have comments on the idling though, and many are owners of them.
I believe the Grech Strada Ion limits drain at around 10%. What we are considering is camping during the summer heat for an extended stay without hookups. Grech states we could run the AC off of the 16k watt battery for 10 hours before taping out. The solar panels are just a trickle charge so no meaningful help. As susceptible we'd need to recharge every day I'd guess in a worst case scenario. Idling the engines in a campground that allows generators during the day is possible but not my favorite idea. Appreciate your input on noise and heat at idle!
Old 04-23-2024, 02:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I am reluctant to idle our Sprinter much because it is loud and obnoxious to any neighbors and it also doesn't seem great for an engine. it is also unnecessary for us because we drive at least a little every day and it takes so little driving time to recover our daily battery usage from our alternator. We rarely camp in the same place for several days without driving. I can often drive 20 min per day into town and completely recharge the batteries.

It is useful to figure exactly how you plan to use the van and then do the full energy calculations for your anticipated usage. Unless you are going to try to use the AC off the battery, you will probably use much less battery capacity than you might think.
Thanks for this. The Grech Ion has a 16k watt LI setup so 20 minutes for that setup wouldn't do much, lol. I calculate 4-5 hours driving time to charge, hence the questions about idle charging at teh campground.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:20 PM   #46
Bud
Platinum Member

If a lot of off grid a/c is needed, the 2024 Pleasureway solution with both a quiet Onan and 600 amp hours will fit some applications well, I think.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
If a lot of off grid a/c is needed, the 2024 Pleasureway solution with both a quiet Onan and 600 amp hours will fit some applications well, I think.

Bud

I completely agree with this statement.

If you need to run the AC for long periods every day, IMO, there are only two practical solutions, a generator or shore power. Batteries are going to need at least 5 hours at driving speed every day if you need 1000ah at 200 amps, which you likely won't achieve, recovered or probably more time at even high obnoxious idle. That is a lot of driving every day, but some here do that as they don't really stay in one place for much longer than sleeping and early and late meals. If it is only to charge batteries, it an extremely expensive way to do it and very wasteful and polluting besides.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:03 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
I completely agree with this statement.

If you need to run the AC for long periods every day, IMO, there are only two practical solutions, a generator or shore power. Batteries are going to need at least 5 hours at driving speed every day is you need a 1000ah at 200 amps, which you likely won't achieve, recovered or probably more time at even high obnoxious idle. That is a lot of driving every day, but some here do that as they don't really stay in one place for much longer than sleeping and early and late meals. If it is only to charge batteries, it an extremely expensive way to do it and very wasteful and polluting besides.
Does this option make any sense? Configure a Victron MultiPlus with battery input, plus a small 1KW generator. When on an extended use of Air Conditioner, hook up the generator. This would not be able to operate the AC 24/7, but it may be enough to be comfortable when needed.

The advantage is you don't have a heavy expensive and possibly rarely used built in generator. You have the small generator available for other uses separate from the van. And you don't have to carry it when you know you won't need it.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:08 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Does this option make any sense? Configure a Victron MultiPlus with battery input, plus a small 1KW generator. When on an extended use of Air Conditioner, hook up the generator. This would not be able to operate the AC 24/7, but it may be enough to be comfortable when needed.

The advantage is you don't have a heavy expensive and possibly rarely used built in generator. You have the small generator available for other uses separate from the van. And you don't have to carry it when you know you won't need it.

No experience with them but at some inverters have the capability to "help" out with AC power when the shore power isn't supplied. Hopefully, they would be quick enough to help out on compressor starts and such. A 1000 watt generator would probably be able to run the newer generation AC, but the starts would be tough.

Of course carrying a generator of any size is a pain and you would need a tether hose for either gas or propane depending on the van. And of course various generator rules and security so it doesn't disappear.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 PM   #50
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestic View Post

Strada Ion owner here.
Yes, a big battery and no generator is a wonderful setup. We generally never worry about running out of power (unless the AC is needed) and usually don't connect to campsite electricity for a 1 or 2 night stay.

The Grech estimate for 10 hours of AC on the battery are pretty optimistic. I have found that AC run time on the battery is highly dependent on the set point of the AC and the outside temperature. Of course, the compressor draws more current when running so you would expect the battery to last a shorter period. I have not kept a detailed log of run time but I would say 90ish F outside and 74 F set point will get you around 7 hours on the battery.

I am in the no-idle camp regarding the Sprinter engine, so I do not think it is feasible to run for more than one evening with the AC on battery alone.

The battery cuts itself off at a 20% state of charge.

Recharge time with the alternator from 20% is probably more than 4 hours. I think the lowest I ever ran the battery was about 40% and I didn't keep close track of the recharge time while driving that day. I would say it was between 4 and 5 hours. Consider that alternator output an idle is lower than when driving, so if you experiment with charing while idling it will take longer than driving.

I am super happy with the performance of the Grech Strada Ion and the customer service from Grech is outstanding. I would definitely buy this model van again.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:49 AM   #51
Bud
Platinum Member

"I am super happy with the performance of the Grech Strada Ion and the customer service from Grech is outstanding. I would definitely buy this model van again."

Good to read this kind of review. Thanks for posting George.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:37 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:

We have 1260 ah of battery power, and a portable generator for the reason you mentioned. It is a 2500 watt peak, 1650 watt continuous gas/propane unit. I connect it to our RV's propane tank, and never use gasoline so there is no gas smell inside the RV while transporting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00787.jpg (309.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-24-2024, 03:19 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
We have 1260 ah of battery power, and a portable generator for the reason you mentioned. It is a 2500 watt peak, 1650 watt continuous gas/propane unit. I connect it to our RV's propane tank, and never use gasoline so there is no gas smell inside the RV while transporting it.
What brand/model? How much does it weigh? Where do you store it?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
What brand/model? How much does it weigh? Where do you store it?
Open the link and click on SPECS.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

We store it here. Occupies a small footprint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050859.jpg (186.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-24-2024, 05:33 PM   #55
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is a pretty nifty solution, along with the other picture of storage.

So a question, a hypothetical one:

If you could just push a button and have the quiet Onan and 630 amps Or your present solution?
Old 04-24-2024, 05:49 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Open the link and click on SPECS.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

We store it here. Occupies a small footprint.

Does it have to be standing up in the normal position for storage, or can it be put on it's side. Usually on a propane you would only have to worry about engine oil loss or running into the cylinder past the rings or valve seals.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:31 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is a pretty nifty solution, along with the other picture of storage.

So a question, a hypothetical one:

If you could just push a button and have the quiet Onan and 630 amps Or your present solution?
I bought the Galleria new with a 330ah AGM battery and an Onan generator. I removed the AGM and gave it away and sold the Onan with 10 minutes run time on it. Then I built the 1260 ah lithium battery bank while upgrading nearly all the Coachmen-built house electronics, including installation of a 2nd alternator dedicated exclusively to the house battery bank.

Coachmen wanted a hefty price for their Li3 600 ah lithium system and that does not include an onboard generator. I did some pricing and decided I could buy a non-lithium Galleria and do the conversion I described above. My system has twice the amp hours as the Li3 version, and I built it for 65% of the Coachmen Li3 option.

During one automotive event while sitting in direct sun, we needed to run the air conditioner for part of one day and nearly all the 2nd day. I realized I needed backup power for the rare occasion like that one. We are mostly travelers rather than campers. Typically we visit, stay a night and travel the next day which charges the batteries as we drive.

Yes I'd certainly keep my existing system.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does it have to be standing up in the normal position for storage, or can it be put on it's side. Usually on a propane you would only have to worry about engine oil loss or running into the cylinder past the rings or valve seals.
I read through the owner's manual and couldn't find an answer to your question. It's a good running clean generator. I wouldn't consider laying it on a side and risk oil contamination in the combustion chamber.

The unit stands almost 18" tall, which fits the available 25" in our storage area.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:55 PM   #59

Quote:

Bud
Thanks Bud! On my short list also.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:18 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bud

I also agree with this for anyone that needs to have AC a lot so they don't need to drive a bunch every day or idle all time.

600ah is plenty for non AC living for quite a few days off the batteries. I running the AC, you would still have quite a bit of power left from the generator to do battery charging at the same time. I would, however, also include a second alternator for doing the changing when you don't need shore power for AC running and staying off grid.