Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2023, 02:13 AM   #1
otr
Gold Member

Default Help replacing the Black water valve on 2000 RT 190V

I need to replace the black water valve on my 2000 Roadtrek 190V, any insights would be appreciated.
Probably the main question is how much I need to disassemble to get space to pull out the old valve? Simple or a bear to do this?
Thanks!!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Don't have that brand; mines a pleasureway. If yours is at the side of the van and has a simple handle (as opposed to some sort of pull cable), it's probably like mine. Others can be more specific. Anyways on mine I (1) dumped and cleaned tank as best as I could (2) removed the 4 bolts holding the valve sandwiched in place. (3) At that point I was able to slightly move the plumbing/tubing apart and pull out the valve. (4) bolted new one in.

Note I only replaced the valve body. Search Amazon for Valterra waste valve body and you'll see what I mean. Difficulty = simple provided you can get access to all 4 bolts and nuts. I could.

My black valve was leaking but I decided to replace them both. Odor was surprisingly mild from black tank. Very smelly from grey tank.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
otr
Gold Member

thanks for that info, I understand the mechanics, have delayed replacement, but the end of life, handle pulling out completely happened as I was dumping the tank, so fresh water has been sloshing around for a good while, just wondering about this specific van and whether it will allow me to wiggle the old valve out and have space to get the new one in with the gaskets.
cheers
Old 07-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otr View Post
thanks for that info, I understand the mechanics, have delayed replacement, but the end of life, handle pulling out completely happened as I was dumping the tank, so fresh water has been sloshing around for a good while, just wondering about this specific van and whether it will allow me to wiggle the old valve out and have space to get the new one in with the gaskets.
cheers
I have a 1999 Roadtrek 170, so it's probably similar -- same thing happened to me (handle pulling out while dumping) and I had just enough space to remove the four bolts mentioned in the previous post and, as you say, take out the old vavle and gaskets and fit in the new ones. So, I think that you shouldn't have too much difficulty, though it is a messy job and, on an old rig, you never know what might come up. Also, it will be easier if you dump the tank first -- hard to do with no handle but possible, see here:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ing-11183.html
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:28 PM   #5
otr
Gold Member

I saw your post when I was searching the forum, maybe I should have done more rinsing at the dump station where it pulled out, I did run 5 or 6 gallons thru as well as replace the valve with another 5 or so of fresh in the tank, we'll see, your experience is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks
Old 07-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It’s always a good idea to post system details when you ask questions like this. I mean details about the plumbing, not the model of van (which 95% of us do not have).

Is it a 3-inch Valterra blade valve? That’s what we have, and we replaced ours 2 days ago. We do it every 3 years because the gaskets don’t stand up in the subtropics.

If you can’t ID the part, a photo would help to constrain the responses.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member

Thanks for that, in reality I am only looking for responses from the 5% who actually have the same Dodge Roadtrek and have actually replaced the valve, if you look at the previous immediate response, I received the exact info I needed!
Old 07-07-2023, 09:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It’s for future reference. Some upfit components are very model-specific, but there are only so many possible configurations of the line segment that includes a gravity-fed black tank valve.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote