Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #421
Platinum Member

They are taking orders for ones built in the new Hymer factory in Kitchener...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #422
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
They are taking orders for ones built in the new Hymer factory in Kitchener...
Have they published anything on the facility, or broken ground yet?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #423
Platinum Member

I haven't seen any details but Jim Hamill mentioned a couple things in the live videos from Hershey that Mike did.

First, he mentioned that there were Hymer people on site at the motorized factory where all the vans will continue to be produced including the Hymer vans and that they are learning a lot about improving fit and finish from Hymer. I expect Wincrasher will report on the build quality of the vans at Hershey including both the Roadtreks and the Hymers.

Second he mentioned that the new factory for towables would be starting production but I don't recall the time frame, I will have to check the video to see if he gave a date. The videos are online at roadtreking.com but you may need a Facebook account to watch them, not sure about that.

I was pleased by his comments regarding the fact that they are learning from Hymer in the area of quality improvement...
Old 09-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #424
Platinum Member

I checked the video and the Hymer towables will start production in Feb from the new factory. You might be able to see the video at this link...

Lightweight Travel Trailers You Can Tow With Almost Any Vehicle - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #425
Platinum Member

The towables were really cool! There is a cheap line and an expensive line. They still need tweaking before they are ready for production. They have to reengineer the pop top to accomodate air conditioners. The aesthetic is very european and I liked them very much.

The Airstream basecamp was tremendous. What suprised me was how big it was. In this picture I included the man there so you could appreciate the scale. I'm sure they have high hopes for this "cheap" airstream.

As far as the cassette in the Hymer, they had no reluctance in showing me how it worked. There was certainly no problems with the mechanism or difficulties in taking it out or putting it back in. It seems like a highly engineered system to me.
[/URL]
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #426
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
::
As far as the cassette in the Hymer, they had no reluctance in showing me how it worked. There was certainly no problems with the mechanism or difficulties in taking it out or putting it back in. It seems like a highly engineered system to me.
[/URL]

Did they fill the cassette with water, then demonstrate how "light" and easy it is to take out?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #427
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Did they fill the cassette with water, then demonstrate how "light" and easy it is to take out?

Well, for those of you interested, you can calculate how heavy your poo and pee is. I'd estimate that it's around 9-10 lbs per gallon.

So this will weigh 35-40 lbs when full (4 gallons).

Most "Active" people could handle removing it. You only need to pull it out and set it down - about 3 feet. The weight when you put it back is negligable.

An elderly or frail person is not going to want an Aktiv anyways. The bed is fairly high and there isn't much in the way of luxury features. The styling is not very traditional either.

The "youngsters" in their 40's and 50's will probably really like this van, as it ticks alot of their boxes.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #428
Platinum Member

It is amazing that the people in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand seem to have no problem handling cassettes but it is a real problem over here...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #429
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is amazing that the people in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand seem to have no problem handling cassettes but it is a real problem over here...
Hadn't you heard? We're all lazy, fat, old and stupid.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #430
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hadn't you heard? We're all lazy, fat, old and stupid.
Well, I am two of those all of the time, one much of the time, and one too many times but I still think I can handle a cassette without much trouble...
Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #431
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, I am two of those all of the time, one much of the time, and one too many times but I still think I can handle a cassette without much trouble...
LOL... same here. The getting the cassette in and out wouldn't be the issue for this rather scrawny female, it would be holding it up while dumping it wherever.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #432
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
....... it would be holding it up while dumping it wherever.
Holding it up? IIRCC, you wheel it over the dump station, with that ground opening, rotate the dump tube on the cassette, take off the cap and tip it so the dump tube directs the contents right down into the dump.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #433
Platinum Member

Default Cassette dumping

We end up dumping the Sportsmobile's Thetford cassette more often in standard toilets than RV dump stations, but that's mostly because we're generally camping at unimproved BLM or Forest Service area sites that don't have RV facilities.

For short trips we generally just dump at home, and a short two step footstool works perfectly for positioning the cassette for emptying into the toilet bowl. When dumping at RV facilities BobB is correct, just wheel it over to the dump pipe, unscrew the cap and rotate the nozzle down, and push the dump vent button.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #434
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
We end up dumping the Sportsmobile's Thetford cassette more often in standard toilets than RV dump stations, but that's mostly because we're generally camping at unimproved BLM or Forest Service area sites that don't have RV facilities.
We usually dump our Thetford in dump stations while traveling, but it still basically the same procedure. Set flat on the ground, rotate nozzle, remove cap and tilt into opening and press the dump vent button. We usually then lay it flat on the ground, open the top opening and fill part way with water, close it, slosh it around a bit and dump again. Then add a few oz. of deodorizer, a bit on water, and we are all done.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #435

Quote:
The "youngsters" in their 40's and 50's will probably really like this van, as it ticks alot of their boxes.
It does for this "youngster" - but I'd really like to sleep lengthwise. (That kills the Winnebago Paseo for me, which otherwise ticks a lot of boxes, like EcoBoost, Sync3, and a big frig.)

Has there been any further/more recent word about Hymer expanding the Class B line in North America?

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #436
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
It does for this "youngster" - but I'd really like to sleep lengthwise. (That kills the Winnebago Paseo for me, which otherwise ticks a lot of boxes, like EcoBoost, Sync3, and a big frig.)

Has there been any further/more recent word about Hymer expanding the Class B line in North America?

Tom
They have said they are going to go slow in terms of expanding the models, selecting dealers, etc. Probably a good strategy if they want to have a smooth roll out with high quality builds and no major issues and trained dealers...
Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #437
Platinum Member

Quote:
They have said they are going to go slow in terms of expanding the models, selecting dealers, etc. Probably a good strategy if they want to have a smooth roll out with high quality builds and no major issues and trained dealers...
It's telling that the new factory space is for trailers, not vans.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #438
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's telling that the new factory space is for trailers, not vans.
New space not there for Aktivs? So do you think it will come down to "build more RT Links" or "build more Hymer Aktivs". I think I know where I would put my $$.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #439
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
New space not there for Aktivs? So do you think it will come down to "build more RT Links" or "build more Hymer Aktivs". I think I know where I would put my $$.
I think their trailer line is alot more exciting. They will have a market segment virtually to themselves as there is nothing quite like it. If priced right, they could be enormously popular.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #440
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think their trailer line is alot more exciting. They will have a market segment virtually to themselves as there is nothing quite like it. If priced right, they could be enormously popular.
MSRP for the towables was said to be $20k-$30k...