Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #141
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree, North-South beds are the best. The extra 16 inch in the extended 159 WB of the Pro/Ducato, with a total length of 20'-11" (6m) offers that possibility.
Maybe there was some length difference in the cab lengths, but a 1996 Dodge 190 is listed on their site as being 19' 3", and they slept north/south. That would even shorter than non extended Ducato, it appears. The Dodges are also known for having more usable storage than the Chevies or Sprinters, so they must have done something right onn them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #142
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I agree, North-South beds are the best. The extra 16 inch in the extended 159 WB of the Pro/Ducato, with a total length of 20'-11" (6m) offers that possibility.

And I agree with CruiseFx the Hymer Yellowstone will be the one for extra sleep confort. What will they call it? THE ÜBER AKTIV!

Some recent European vans have longitudinal beds in the short 19'-7" (5,99m) Fiat Ducato like the Westfalia 600E.

But like they say in the review it's like fitting "a quart into a pint pot".

The review of the 600E in Out&About Live:
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/mo...-review/900215

....and the video, now that everyone had their crash course in German sponsored by Hymer

The Westfalia Amundsen 600E catalog
http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/en/do...N_2016_web.pdf

I think we need a new global regulation for Class Bs reviewers. Conduct a review? You must get in the bath area and lay in the bed to demonstrate the close quarters.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM   #143
Platinum Member

I would much rather get rid of the (to me) useless dinette and have a decent sized refrigerator and microwave and more storage - convertible between hanging or shelves.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #144
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I think we need a new global regulation for Class Bs reviewers. Conduct a review? You must get in the bath area and lay in the bed to demonstrate the close quarters.
LOL! But he must be 6'3"!
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #145
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I would much rather get rid of the (to me) useless dinette and have a decent sized refrigerator and microwave and more storage - convertible between hanging or shelves.
You're right, in such a tight van you need more storage, but the dinette is something you have to experience to understand its advantage. It's our favorite area when it's cold outside or for breakfast. I still believe the 19" 7" (6m) van with North South bed is too tight. With the extra 18 inches in an extended ProMaster you get all the storage you need. We have two full counter height fridges, a microwave, a huge shower and all the storage you need under the bed.

And that front dinette with the sliding screen is magical. We don't have a TV but if you position it just over the dinette seats you get a perfect view from the best seats in the house. I sometimes use it as mobile office/man cave, feet up on the dinette seats. You have to try it to understand the potential of that space.

OK, again that picture!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #146
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're right, in such a tight van you need more storage, but the dinette is something you have to experience to understand its advantage.

George, thank you for photos. The dinette is high on our list! The key is (on all the models I have seen) is the dinette table folds (1) completely away and/or (2) to a smaller size good for drinks, etc. So you end up with a little living room space to have some guests over.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Maybe there was some length difference in the cab lengths, but a 1996 Dodge 190 is listed on their site as being 19' 3", and they slept north/south. That would even shorter than non extended Ducato, it appears. The Dodges are also known for having more usable storage than the Chevies or Sprinters, so they must have done something right onn them.
On the 190 they don't have a front dinette, like in the short Agile. So a lengthwise bed is possible.

The front dinette space is quite cramped but it's nice to have so much storage on such a small chassis

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

When you need seating for four belted adults, I have yet to find anything close to the smart design of this bench seat in a class B RV. Westfalia has a great design team.

Not to offend anyone but, is having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night a frequent occurrence for many? Unless I'm choosing to get into bed with a full bladder, if I 'take care of business' BEFORE laying down, I can sleep completely through the night.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #149
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
George, thank you for photos. The dinette is high on our list! The key is (on all the models i have see) is the dinette table folds (1) completely away and/or (2) to a smaller size good for drinks, etc. So you end up with a little living room space to have some guests over.
...and you have the luxury of being able to give a lift to someone. Talking to the passengers like in car, not shouting at the back. And they don't bounce up and down like when you sit in the back sofas.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #150
Platinum Member

George,
Have you considered these sliding trays?

Cargo Sliding Trays - MORryde Products
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #151
Platinum Member

George

In order to accommodate 2 compressor fridges under your galley counter, the counter seems to extend further into the door opening than the Aktiv....which also provides a longer usable counter space. How wide is your side door entrance - from counter edge to the door frame behind the passenger seat? Do you think it is about the same available space as the Travato entrances? I like the fact that the entrance is further to the front of the van rather than requiring one to fully open the sliding door on the Travatos before entering.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #152
Platinum Member

Quote:
When you need seating for four belted adults, I have yet to find anything close to the smart design of this bench seat in a class B RV. Westfalia has a great design team.

True, the design of these vehicles is amazing. Westfalia is now owned by the french group Rapido. Hope their designers will stay! This James Cook is amazing, with two beds one on top of the other. But I guess you have to see it in person to judge it correctly. Those wide-angled beauty shots are always misleading. I still don't like to have to make my bed every night. I doesn't fit our lifestyle. I guess some people prefer that option. It gives more living space during the day.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #153
Platinum Member

Quote:
On the 190 they don't have a front dinette, like in the short Agile. So a lengthwise bed is possible.The front dinette space is quite cramped but it's nice to have so much storage on such a small chassis.
I guess it all depends on how you define dinette, I think. The pic you showed of the front is a Chevy a little newer than our 07 190P, with the fold out table and swivel seats to make the "dinette". Using the seats for double duty can save a lot of space, but you lose the seating for 4 if you need it (we don't). The Chevy is 20' 5" without the Continental kit. The aformentioned 1996 Dodge was shorter by over a foot, and also used the front seats as the dinette chairs, using a table holder in the floor with removable top. There was not a permanent bed in the rear, so you also got a table for the rear between the benches. We had a power sofa with a second table in ours when new, but changed it to a full time bed.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #154
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
George
In order to accommodate 2 compressor fridges under your galley counter, the counter seems to extend further into the door opening than the Aktiv....which also provides a longer usable counter space. How wide is your side door entrance - from counter edge to the door frame behind the passenger seat? Do you think it is about the same available space as the Travato entrances? I like the fact that the entrance is further to the front of the van rather than requiring one to fully open the sliding door on the Travatos before entering.
I never measured it [it's in storage! can't wait to have it in the back alley, in a few more weeks ] but it's wide enough to get in and out very easily. The passage looks smaller than the AKTIV though, comparing it with Davydd's photo.
And it's definitely easier to get in than having to open the door (or the screen) all the way like in the T 59G.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #155
Platinum Member

Quote:
I never measured it [it's in storage! can't wait to have it in the back alley, in a few more weeks ] but it's wide enough to get in and out very easily. The passage looks smaller than the AKTIV though, comparing it with Davydd's photo.
And it's definitely easier to get in than having to open the door (or the screen) all the way like in the T 59G.

Thanks George

Great visual comparison! It's a good thing that the Zion has the flip up to extend the counter because its galley seems small. The AKTIV seems to have good counter space but comes with a small compressor fridge. It's no bigger than my 3-way absorption fridge in my 190V. You are so fortunate to have 2 compressor fridges.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #156
Platinum Member

George,

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but which Westfalia is that?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #157
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
George,
Have you considered these sliding trays?

Cargo Sliding Trays - MORryde Products
Great! Available in a lot of dimensions. I didn't know this company. I will have to check for the weight of these trays. They look pretty sturdy. Thanks for the info AlexJ.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 AM   #158
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
George,

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but which Westfalia is that?
My post was the Westfalia Amundsen 600E. ClassB4Me posted the James Cook.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 AM   #159
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I guess it all depends on how you define dinette, I think. The pic you showed of the front is a Chevy a little newer than our 07 190P, with the fold out table and swivel seats to make the "dinette". Using the seats for double duty can save a lot of space, but you lose the seating for 4 if you need it (we don't). The Chevy is 20' 5" without the Continental kit. The aformentioned 1996 Dodge was shorter by over a foot, and also used the front seats as the dinette chairs, using a table holder in the floor with removable top. There was not a permanent bed in the rear, so you also got a table for the rear between the benches. We had a power sofa with a second table in ours when new, but changed it to a full time bed.
Yes I meant a front dinette with a capacity of 4 seats.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:43 AM   #160
Platinum Member

Quote:

[The Westfalia James Cook]

The Westfalia Columbus (6m van) also had collapsible front seats that converted into a dinette bed. I don't think it is offered anymore. Impressive folding seat structure with safety belts.

From that 2014 MMM video