Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #181
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Interesting info, they will be displaying Roadtreks and the Hymer Aktiv at the New York International Auto Show. Nice to see them expanding the visibility outside the established RV community...
Also interestingly, Hymer and RT are not next to each other. Maybe late placement/addition of both to the Show and those were the spots left? Unfortunate, because it seems nice to be able to see both brands side by side, as in Phoenix.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #182
Platinum Member

They had the Grand Canyon at the National Automobile Dealers Association Show last year in San Francisco so maybe there was enough interest to continue to pursue this marketing avenue.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #183
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting info, they will be displaying Roadtreks and the Hymer Aktiv at the New York International Auto Show. Nice to see them expanding the visibility outside the established RV community...
The sneak peak of the AKTIV at the New York Auto show from Karyn RT. A new model with bold graphics and a big chrome grill with a huge Hymer logo.
I prefer the model shown in Phoenix.

Curious to see if they added a black tank. I doubt it!

But a nice new window at the back.
They are listening!
But this bedspread is awful!
They should hire designers to stage a van. They are in NYC!

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #184
Platinum Member

They have the option of the window at the back on their euro model.
They also have an extra window in the bathroom

Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #185
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
The sneak peak of the AKTIV at the New York Auto show from Karyn RT. A new model with bold graphics and a big chrome grill with a huge Hymer logo.
I prefer the model shown in Phoenix.

Curious to see if they added a black tank. I doubt it!

Thanks for the great pictures and updates. I want HYMER to succeed in NA but in a way that distinguishes them from the pack.

I think HYMER should consult with Stef and James (The Fit RV) on better reaching a growing activity-lifestyle customer segment. Their rationale for wanting a Class B and their demographic closely mirrors the customers who would like what HYMER offers and are familiar with the tradeoffs.

The Fit RV couple know how to market their site, understand the Class B segment, and communicate in an interesting way that captures your interest (they have credibility because they own and use Class B products).

HYMER would benefit from deciding what audience they want to initially target.

When I look at these two Class-B focused web sites, they skew to different audiences / lifestyles. HYMER Group NA has products to skew to both demographics if they develop and execute a smart marketing strategy.

The Fit RV

Roadtrekking
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #186
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Thanks for the great pictures and updates. I want HYMER to succeed in NA but in a way that distinguishes them from the pack.

I think HYMER should consult with Stef and James (The Fit RV) on better reaching a growing activity-lifestyle customer segment. Their rationale for wanting a Class B and their demographic closely mirrors the customers who would like what HYMER offers and are familiar with the tradeoffs.

The Fit RV couple know how to market their site, understand the Class B segment, and communicate in an interesting way that captures your interest (they have credibility because they own and use Class B products).

HYMER would benefit from deciding what audience they want to initially target.

When I look at these two Class-B focused web sites, they skew to different audiences / lifestyles. HYMER Group NA has products to skew to both demographics if they develop and execute a smart marketing strategy.

The Fit RV

Roadtrekking
I agree Stef and James do a wonderful job. The only problem is they are now promoting their RV Lifestyle in a Travato by Winnebago, the biggest competitor of Hymer !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/travatoowners/

You are right Hymer should get a completely new spokesperson identified with more sophisticated young "and fit" customers. I would get closer to the urbanites -no wonder they are in NYC! . RT doesn't have that aura anymore. Before they were a different pack "the small Bs against the awful Beasts". But now unfortunately their identity slipped into a undifferentiated group of mostly retired rVers with very conservative taste _like the Wendlands (with money to buy posh 150K$ B vans) And I'm not talking about all the owners of older Roadtreks "the real and authentic ones".

I also hope that the EHG succeeds in changing the NA industry.
Will the Phoenix rises from the ashes?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #187
Gold Member

Quote:
I agree Stef and James do a wonderful job. The only problem is they are now promoting their RV Lifestyle in a Travato by Winnebago, the biggest competitor of Hymer !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/travatoowners/
True, but if Hymer really wants to succeed in N.A., then they should be wrestling James and Stef away from Winnebago! Nobody does it better than FitRV, lets face it!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #188
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheral View Post
True, but if Hymer really wants to succeed in N.A., then they should be wrestling James and Stef away from Winnebago! Nobody does it better than FitRV, lets face it!
Not sure they want to deal with RT after what happened with the video they posted with a Hymer Rep. They might wait for a management change!

I like them where they are. They "Fit" with the WGo culture. (have you noticed that EHG has a new website GO-Hymer.com _cheap!) And they are not like the Wendlands. They don't fully support W. They have their independence and it shows. IMO EHG should scout someone else.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 AM   #189
Platinum Member

IMO A lot of their NA marketing will depend on where they end up on the price scale.

Not just MSRP but "off the lot" price.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 AM   #190
Platinum Member

the Aktiv looks a lot like the front lounge on the Travato 59G
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #191
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will readily admit that I would not buy an Aktiv and it would be a waste of time and resources to try to market it to me.

I suggest that this could apply to many others here and maybe the majority of current Class B owners or Class B wannabes.

I do think there is a untapped market that exists and very little may be currently known about this market...

I guess time will tell...
This sounds familiar . I give credit to the Japanese and the Koreans, they at least try to understand a market before getting involved. Hymer failed in Australia and so have quite a few European Caravan manufacturers. All of them run a cursory eye over the market and offer what they sell in Europe, or a slightly modified version.
A few US importers have tried the same tactic, for very little reward.
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #192
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Hum! Not quite. IMO the fit and finish and the contemporary materials used in the AKTIV look far superior. But I haven't seen one in person.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #193
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hum! Not quite. IMO the fit and finish and the contemporary materials used in the AKTIV look far superior. But I haven't seen one in person.

Oh I completely agree. I was just referring to the layout. Winnebago is the one copying the common front lounge in most European Ducato conversions. I quite like the Aktiv. If it is priced right then it is definitely the one to get over the boring options we have had in the US thus far.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #194
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh I completely agree. I was just referring to the layout. Winnebago is the one copying the common front lounge in most European Ducato conversions. I quite like the Aktiv. If it is priced right then it is definitely the one to get over the boring options we have had in the US thus far.
Yes you are right the Travato introduced the front lounge layout to the US market. We had the SF Flex in Canada already The 59G has a very spacious interior for a front dinette van, albeit a very narrow bed because of the placement of the toilet. Not for everyone.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #195
Platinum Member

I've seen in many european van review videos referring to this as a "traditional" layout. From all that I've seen, I'd have to agree that that is true. I can only assume that is why Winnebago adopted it for their first Ducato/Promaster conversion, the 59G.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #196
Platinum Member

Quote:
The front lounge has been extremely popular in Europe. I think this seating is better than putting a second row passenger seat by the side door where they are found on some of the RT Sprinters, the RT Chevs and WB Era 70X. Generally the front lounge comes with the galley on the passenger side which I prefer, too.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #197
Platinum Member

Quote:
Or the front lounge of the Travato looks like the Aktiv? IIRC - That front lounge/dinette setup has been on HymerCars (and on other Euro RVs) for quite some time now, long before the Travato.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #198
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I've seen in many european van review videos referring to this as a "traditional" layout. From all that I've seen, I'd have to agree that that is true. I can only assume that is why Winnebago adopted it for their first Ducato/Promaster conversion, the 59G.
When you had your 59G did you find the front lounge seating comfortable for two? Looks kinda narrow and not very shoulder friendly for dining use.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #199
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
When you had your 59G did you find the front lounge seating comfortable for two? Looks kinda narrow and not very shoulder friendly for dining use.
Check out the Out&AboutLive Motorhome TV videos on YouTube. Lots of reviews of Euro RVs, including Class Bs. A number of the Class Bs have that front lounge/dinette and it seems that even though many have the same layout, there are differences on how comfortable they are. Inches - or centimeters - really matter, along with thickness of cushions, angle of back, width, height, etc. of folding table.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MotorhomeCampervan
Old 03-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #200
Platinum Member

I guess you could say that the old (2005ish) Vista Cruiser was way ahead of its time, as they had a very similar floorplan with the front dinette setup and a high bed in the rear.

They didn't seem to catch on, though and soon disappeared. I hope that isn't an indicator of what might happen to that design now.

Vista Cruiser Class B Motorhomes - Model G24
booster is offline   Reply With Quote