Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #561
Platinum Member

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough review of the Activ. Your perspective is valuable in this forum.

I cannot express how deeply disappointed I have been in the Hymer introduction in NA. This is clearly a leadership issue and is doing damage to the Hymer reputation / brand.

I went to the Hymer NA website, located my closest dealer and contact information. When I called, a sales person said "What's a Hymer?" We don't carry them. I asked could he check with someone else and the dealership never called back.

The Safari Condo platform bed appears to be a perfect space saving approach. Any thoughts as to why others have not adopted it?

Anything you would do differently today if you were buying a new Class B?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #562
Platinum Member

In my opinion if WGO could offer options for underhood generator (large alternator), sizable inverters, etc. in their vans these options alone would sway a lot of people to their vans away from RT. Lithium batteries could also be options of course but AGM's without a standard generator seems like an easy setup IMO, and for us we really didn't want to deal with another engine to maintain.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #563
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
In my opinion if WGO could offer options for underhood generator (large alternator), sizable inverters, etc. in their vans these options alone would sway a lot of people to their vans away from RT. Lithium batteries could also be options of course but AGM's without a standard generator seems like an easy setup IMO, and for us we really didn't want to deal with another engine to maintain.
Wish I could "like" the last 4 or 5 comments here..
There's always the trade offs: Get the Big bed in back and the front dinette, and you have very little space for the bath. The Travatos baths are huge (for class B's), of course the argument can be made that not much time is spent in the bath, but if it is completely unusable? then what?

In our case the G bed works great, but we like to "spoon" and I understand not all do.

As far as the energy autonomy, again; the G's combination of generator, std engine alternator, shore power, solar, and propane has worked great in OUR travels.. and we seldom plug in, and never run the genny (when it gives out, I'll probably remove it). I know Lithium and the additional alternator is all the rage, but until it works more dependably, I'm not interested. I DO believe WGO is looking into those options, but as was mentioned, it would affect the price.

I guess I'm not clear on the Safaris power system: Is it strictly a solar and standard engine alternator set up? no genny? or extra alternator? (In my case, that would be fine mind you, because that is basically all I USE in my travato)

If the Safari Condo "feels" as good as it looks in pictures, and if they could keep that price, and make the buying experience a little easier in the states, they would be giving WGO a run for the money.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #564
Platinum Member

Hymer took a Roadtrek with the full Voltstart and power systems to an EU RV show and people in attendance described it as a game changer. The Class B market is ready to move away from loud generator to a battery, solar, and underhood generator solution.

Whoever can package it at a reasonable price and strong warranty could shift market share dramatically.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #565
BBQ
Platinum Member

WGO is no dummy. They did not become the market leader for no reason -- they want to make things that are attractive to the majority of their target market. They want to make things that are easy to manufacture. They want to make things that are low cost (I did not say cheap). They want to make things that can make them money. That means they want to have low warranty expenses.

If you read the various forums on the web,
you will find that most of RT's problems are on the lithium batteries and its related power system components.

Despite the fact that lithium power system is not a new technology,
RT is still having a problem making a carefree consumer product.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 PM   #566
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Wish I could "like" the last 4 or 5 comments here..
There's always the trade offs: Get the Big bed in back and the front dinette, and you have very little space for the bath. The Travatos baths are huge (for class B's), of course the argument can be made that not much time is spent in the bath, but if it is completely unusable? then what?

In our case the G bed works great, but we like to "spoon" and I understand not all do.

As far as the energy autonomy, again; the G's combination of generator, std engine alternator, shore power, solar, and propane has worked great in OUR travels.. and we seldom plug in, and never run the genny (when it gives out, I'll probably remove it). I know Lithium and the additional alternator is all the rage, but until it works more dependably, I'm not interested. I DO believe WGO is looking into those options, but as was mentioned, it would affect the price.

I guess I'm not clear on the Safaris power system: Is it strictly a solar and standard engine alternator set up? no genny? or extra alternator? (In my case, that would be fine mind you, because that is basically all I USE in my travato)

If the Safari Condo "feels" as good as it looks in pictures, and if they could keep that price, and make the buying experience a little easier in the states, they would be giving WGO a run for the money.
We looked at the WInnebago, RT, and Pkeasureway offerings before falling in love with SC. There really is nothing not to like about the XL Flex (in my opinion). We had the time to wait fortunately. The bathroom is huge. Felt larger than the Travato. The shower curtain slides around an outer rail keeping the sink/toilet dry. The Truma AquaGo tankless/instant ho water heater delivers hot water in 5 seconds and at a steady temperature. So hot you have to turn it down. Multiplex wiring, dimmable LED lights throughout. Love the large awning windows and the shades/screens. They do a great job at black out. There is lot of kitchen countertop space which can be complemented by the front dinette table. The two frigs are nice too. The front passenger seats are more comfortable than the Travato G. We have a 2000w inverter, the larger 280w Promaster alternator, and 380w of solar...which all works great and seamlessly. Quality build. No wasted space. And like Georges, I'm just a satisfied customer.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 AM   #567
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
We looked at the WInnebago, RT, and Pkeasureway offerings before falling in love with SC. There really is nothing not to like about the XL Flex (in my opinion). We had the time to wait fortunately. The bathroom is huge. Felt larger than the Travato. The shower curtain slides around an outer rail keeping the sink/toilet dry. The Truma AquaGo tankless/instant ho water heater delivers hot water in 5 seconds and at a steady temperature. So hot you have to turn it down. Multiplex wiring, dimmable LED lights throughout. Love the large awning windows and the shades/screens. They do a great job at black out. There is lot of kitchen countertop space which can be complemented by the front dinette table. The two frigs are nice too. The front passenger seats are more comfortable than the Travato G. We have a 2000w inverter, the larger 280w Promaster alternator, and 380w of solar...which all works great and seamlessly. Quality build. No wasted space. And like Georges, I'm just a satisfied customer.
Excellent! It really is great to hear of other happy owners with all the pessimism and unmet expectations in this industry. It really is an awesome feeling to wander around a big RV show, look at dozens of other Vans, and realize there is nothing on the market, at any price, you would want to trade your rig for! I like the fact that Safari offers things like TV's and Air Conditioners as options also. You and George B make it sound so good, I might have to make a trip to Canada to check 'em out when the time comes for a trade in! Happy Trails!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #568
Silver Member

Regarding Safari Condo

Fell in love with their designs and van mods over 10 years ago. Would really like to purchase an SC FLEX but after talking with them it would be extremely difficult as a West Coast U.S. person to buy a van in my state, drive it all the way across the country to have it modified and wait and bring it back. It very quickly became impractical and/or cost prohibitive. So, while we can extol the virtues of their products over much of what is out there, the reality is it's not an option for most of us living in the States. I was hoping that when Hymer started production they would produce something close to the SC. Maybe in time they will.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 AM   #569
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Regarding Safari Condo

Fell in love with their designs and van mods over 10 years ago. Would really like to purchase an SC FLEX but after talking with them it would be extremely difficult as a West Coast U.S. person to buy a van in my state, drive it all the way across the country to have it modified and wait and bring it back. It very quickly became impractical and/or cost prohibitive. So, while we can extol the virtues of their products over much of what is out there, the reality is it's not an option for most of us living in the States. I was hoping that when Hymer started production they would produce something close to the SC. Maybe in time they will.
We were able to dropship our Promaster directly from the factory to the Ram dealer in Vermont at no extra charge. We then drove it the four hours to the factory and returned a few months later to drive it home to Texas and then onto California for a vacation.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #570
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Excellent! It really is great to hear of other happy owners with all the pessimism and unmet expectations in this industry. It really is an awesome feeling to wander around a big RV show, look at dozens of other Vans, and realize there is nothing on the market, at any price, you would want to trade your rig for! I like the fact that Safari offers things like TV's and Air Conditioners as options also. You and George B make it sound so good, I might have to make a trip to Canada to check 'em out when the time comes for a trade in! Happy Trails!
Definitely know that feeling Scott when you know you own the camper that fits your needs. We travel typically travel with 4 bicycles stored below the bed and the Flex is the only one that allows that. Safari Condo did allow us more options than the big manufacturers. We omitted the TV, but had them wire it for external cable hookup (in case we want to watch cable TV at a campground). We carry a 19" flat screen in the big garage under the bed (in a box) and an over the air HD antennae. We usually set it up on the kitchen counter and watch it from the front dinette area (at eye level). Works great. We usually just watch movies that we've downloaded from Netflix or Amazon (have connector from phone to HDMI input on TV). Glad you are loving your Travato too.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #571
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
We travel typically travel with 4 bicycles stored below the bed and the Flex is the only one that allows that. Safari Condo did allow us more options than the big manufacturers...
I agree that Safari Condo XL Flex is the best layout I've seen for those desiring bike and active gear storage over traditional RV style amenities. Very clean looking finishes also. Too bad it's not readily available to US buyers.

AlexJ, would you be willing to write up a brief review of your XL Flex and buying process, perhaps in a new thread to avoid sidetracking this Hymer Activ topic? GeorgeB has done a great job of documenting his Canadian Flex XL, but it would be very interesting to know which options you chose for a US based unit, the costs and buying process, any customs or licensing snags, and of course your thoughts on anything you might do differently after living with the rig.

Thanks!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #572
Platinum Member

Yes, it would be helpful to get this information about the SC Flex US build. It appears to be a great option. I saw one of these in California but it does not have a bath. https://www.outsidevan.com/van/yellowstone/

Old 04-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #573
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
I agree that Safari Condo XL Flex is the best layout I've seen for those desiring bike and active gear storage over traditional RV style amenities. Very clean looking finishes also. Too bad it's not readily available to US buyers.

AlexJ, would you be willing to write up a brief review of your XL Flex and buying process, perhaps in a new thread to avoid sidetracking this Hymer Activ topic? GeorgeB has done a great job of documenting his Canadian Flex XL, but it would be very interesting to know which options you chose for a US based unit, the costs and buying process, any customs or licensing snags, and of course your thoughts on anything you might do differently after living with the rig.

Thanks!
YES, PLEASE! They told me I had to buy the van in my state, Washington, to be legal and bring it to them. Really could use some particulars on how you did this as I would be willing to wait it the process is clearer to me. Thanks.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #574
Platinum Member

Safari condos are really nice and have great reviews from owners from what I have read. We looked into them but the lead time was 12-14 months and required the purchase of the van and driving to Canada. We live in Mass so not a huge deal but the 12-14 months was too long. I do wish they would make it easier to purchase but the long lead time IMO indicates they take their time and have high demand... maybe thats a good thing. Now that we have our first van if we decide on a second we have more options (Safari Condi, custom, etc.) because we can be out camping in the current van while the second is being built... we shall see.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #575
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
YES, PLEASE! They told me I had to buy the van in my state, Washington, to be legal and bring it to them. Really could use some particulars on how you did this as I would be willing to wait it the process is clearer to me. Thanks.
I understand the requirement to buy the van in CONUS and taking it to Canada but why do they care what state you buy the van in?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #576
Platinum Member

While this is an interesting discussion of the Safari... wouldn't it make more sense to have it in its own thread. It would be nice if the moderators could split off all these posts and put them together in something labeled "Safari options"
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #577
Silver Member

Yeah I agree... while all great info, discussion topics are quite off topic. Good info gets buried and is difficult to reference later.

Back on topic... Comparing the newer pics of the Hymer Aktiv to our Aktiv, it's interesting to see what the changed and have yet haven't changed.

Changed
1. Deletion of the rear pop out windows... Is this due to regulations? We really like ours... more air circulation.
2. Kitchen and bathroom backsplash wall material/pattern design... New design is really tacky. Has a cloud look, where the original was more a modern tile look.

Not Changed, but should be
1. Headunit surround... They continue to use the Maestro Promaster CITY surround and not the Maestro Promaster one. The finish and fit is bad for the one they are using. Literally held in by electrical tape.
2. Passenger rear pop out window... Should be changed to permanently closed to prevent damaging from the slider door opening. If you forget the window is open and open the door you are up for the surprise.

I do like the Silver Paint though. Had it been available, I think we would have gotten that color. I tend to get Silver or lighter color vehicles.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #578
Platinum Member

Hymer Activ 2.0

Hymer Partners with Couple on Activ 2.0 Ownership / Trial

Meet Our New Camper Van!
https://youtu.be/D65UUcDLoyU

Old 04-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Hymer Activ 2.0

Hymer Partners with Couple on Activ 2.0 Ownership / Trial

Meet Our New Camper Van!
https://youtu.be/D65UUcDLoyU
We're the couple mentioned above. We've been lurking here for a while and following the thread.

A bit of info you might be interested in with our new Hymer:
- This is the first unit off of Hymer's new assembly line.
- It's on the extended chassis so we'll get about another foot of room over the first Aktiv.
- It has the platform bed

Nice to meet everyone!

Joe Russo
WereTheRussos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #580
Platinum Member

Just watched your video before posting and I knew many would want to follow your channel and experience with the Activ 2.0.

I had zero doubt you would buy one after the test drive at the RV show. The 2.0 version was a surprise.

Congrats.