Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #361
Platinum Member

I think the video served its purpose as a piece for the Chamber of Commerce. Hymer/Roadtrek's business is growing, and they'll be expanding their labor force—in other words, good news for the Chamber of Commerce. I don't think it was supposed to detail the acquisition or talk about new products. That's just not the kind of thing the other businesses in the area that make up the Chamber would probably care about. My guess is all they want to know about is how this affects the local business community. More jobs clearly will.

At least they swept the floor this time.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #362
Platinum Member

NY Auto Show video, nice to see it getting marketed outside the traditional RV buyer demographic...

Hymer 'Aktiv' Camper Van Tour - Sugar Cayne
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #363
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
NY Auto Show video, nice to see it getting marketed outside the traditional RV buyer demographic...

Hymer 'Aktiv' Camper Van Tour - Sugar Cayne
Yes, it's interesting that they are trying to get attention from younger customers. Will see if they can get them to buy these 100K "coolish" AKTIVs.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #364
Platinum Member

FYI - Hymer now has a brochure on the Aktiv you can download. Have not yet compared this to previous specs released. Did note that it is available in 5 colors. Could not find any pricing info.

Go Hymer ยป Brochure
Old 08-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #365
Platinum Member

Looks like the windows on both ends of the bed are now standard. They are not using the Roadtrek method of getting a low base price and making lots of stuff optional which I think is good. Same cassette toilet as standard with no black tank option.

It is August and the plan to begin sales in the spring is past. Be nice to see the price and a list of some dealers and an actual date for sales to begin...

Other than the delays it still seems to be a good product...
Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #366
Platinum Member

Quote:
Be nice to see the price and a list of some dealers and an actual date for sales to begin...
Elsewhere they list RV shows - they will be at Hershey and Pomona. People will be asking those questions. Overall, I like the package. Nice to see as standard, add'l alternator, awning, inverter.

In addition to prices, my questions are (1) what are the Ah for the standard AGMs (2) is there a roof vent fan? - don't see one in photos and specs - those really do help to exhaust hot air, cooking odors, cool down interior, etc. (3) GWVR, GCWR, and OCCC numbers, (4) optional solar package - details, roof layout, etc. (5) operability of rear windows - not clear from photos. (5) now lists microwave, but not visible in photos.

There are some discrepancies in specs - Truma listed as 14,300BTUs, but text says 16,000 BTU propane furnace for instance. Needs some more proofreading.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #367
Platinum Member

If these sell well, they will make a lot of money - the margins must be pretty good if they are using the cheapest model van and standardizing the equipment package.

I'm pretty impressed with the bathroom design on this model. Even though it includes the same "awful" (according to JH) drop down sink WGO uses.

Glad they could keep that big skylight and still have air conditioning. I would have liked to see a larger refrigerator though.

Did they include the Truma Combi system? If not that is a curious omission.

I think this product would have been impossible in NA without some of Roadtrek's tech. There literally would be nowhere to install an Onan generator.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #368
Platinum Member

The side windows on both ends of the bed were Seitz type dual pane swing out on one of the prototypes with shades and screens, hopefully similar for the production van.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #369
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Did they include the Truma Combi system?
Listed in brochure "Truma Combi air and water heater - 14,300 BTU" ; also in specs on webpage.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #370
Platinum Member

As I recall, there is a vent fan in the ceiling in the bathroom...
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #371
Platinum Member

Now that they are including the Truma Combi, it will be interesting to see if that starts showing up in the RT line.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #372
Platinum Member

It seems that both Truma and Alde are used in Europe by Hymer. Roadtrek seems to have selected Alde propane and diesel already for the Sprinters and I thought were offering it as an option on the Zion but the Truma would probably make more sense in the Zion than the Alde.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #373
Platinum Member

My favorite thing about this brochure is page 2. Instead of just throwing around marketing terms for various technologies, they make it clear what each thing actually is. These things are impressive when explained clearly. For those outside of the traditional RV market, information like this will be persuasive.

Also, don't think that all young families are poor and won't be able to afford an RV. That may have been true when people of my gray-haired generation were young. It's no longer true. Especially here in California, huge numbers of kids are making LOTS of money working in high-tech. Their high incomes have caused housing prices to sky-rocket, especially in neighborhoods that they've decided are "cool." Luxury condo highrise buildings are going up like crazy in San Francisco. Unlike us, they've bought BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Tesla and Mercedes cars long before they turned gray. If they decide that boondocking is something that they want to do, they'll buy what it takes to do it.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #374
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
My favorite thing about this brochure is page 2. Instead of just throwing around marketing terms for various technologies, they make it clear what each thing actually is. These things are impressive when explained clearly. For those outside of the traditional RV market, information like this will be persuasive.

Also, don't think that all young families are poor and won't be able to afford an RV. That may have been true when people of my gray-haired generation were young. It's no longer true. Especially here in California, huge numbers of kids are making LOTS of money working in high-tech. Their high incomes have caused housing prices to sky-rocket, especially in neighborhoods that they've decided are "cool." Luxury condo highrise buildings are going up like crazy in San Francisco. Unlike us, they've bought BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Tesla and Mercedes cars long before they turned gray. If they decide that boondocking is something that they want to do, they'll buy what it takes to do it.
I agree completely. When this market segment has been mentioned the general response here seems to be that it is not a real possibility for many sales. When you consider that the total yearly Class B sales is 3000 or so units, I think even a relatively small new market segment for Class Bs (compared to the larger RV market numbers) can have a significant impact. What if Hymer sold 500 of these units? That is an increase in sales of more than 15% in the market, plenty to put Hymer NA back in the lead over Winnebago...

Expecting the naysayers to chime in with their predictions...
Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #375
Platinum Member

Quote:
When you consider that the total yearly Class B sales is 3000 or so units, I think even a relatively small new market segment for Class Bs (compared to the larger RV market numbers) can have a significant impact. What if Hymer sold 500 of these units? That is an increase in sales of more than 15% in the market, plenty to put Hymer NA back in the lead over Winnebago...

Expecting the naysayers to chime in with their predictions...
Not a naysayer, but.....the other possibility if Hymer sold 500 of these units, is that it comes at the expense of other Class B manufacturers, i.e. they sell less - still 3000 total. Maybe even RT. I am sure other NA manufacturers will be watching closely.

My wife and I happen to really like this floor plan - had enough of the "set-up and make up your bed every night" routine. Only other plan close is Travato (yes, Safari Condo has a nice floor plan, but no dealer network in US), but would rather have smaller bath, bigger bed, even if transverse. Looking forward to closer examination at Hershey.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #376
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Not a naysayer, but.....the other possibility if Hymer sold 500 of these units, is that it comes at the expense of other Class B manufacturers, i.e. they sell less - still 3000 total. Maybe even RT. I am sure other NA manufacturers will be watching closely.

My wife and I happen to really like this floor plan - had enough of the "set-up and make up your bed every night" routine. Only other plan close is Travato (yes, Safari Condo has a nice floor plan, but no dealer network in US), but would rather have smaller bath, bigger bed, even if transverse. Looking forward to closer examination at Hershey.
All true if the sales come from existing Class B buyers but the idea was that there is an untapped market segment for the Hymer style van that expands the Class B market to new buyers who were not looking at existing Class Bs.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #377
Platinum Member

Often RV manufacturers have to throw out product and see what sticks, as the market can often be hard to read. People say they like something, but it's another story when ic comes to writing a check.

By far, the majority of the market is retirees and will always be that way. The young and the sports-active types are a small sliver and probably always will be. Maybe when we all can live to be 120 years old, that may change.

The market has spoken on these Promaster vans. Everyone likes a low price, no matter the feature set. The low priced vans have the largest share. People will rationalize why they can do without x or y feature if the price is right. Travato is selling on low price, not highest quality or greatest feature set.

My opinion is that Aktiv is priced too high to be a great success. Can they sell a couple hundred of these? Maybe. I hope they do. But I also expect to see some revisions after the first year. I don't expect the cassette toilet to be a rousing success. I am also waiting on the fall-out from last years (and some saying ongoing) issues with the Roadtrek tech. I suspect that instead of going with a single high spec version, that they will do some de-contenting and offer a lower-spec, lower priced version.

Whatever happens, I'd expect this model to have a 3 year run to see if it will work in the market, possibly with some tweaks along the way if it isn't meeting expectations.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #378
Platinum Member

When the 2nd manufacturing plant in Kitchener comes online for Hymer products I guess we will see what other products they will be introducing...
Old 08-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #379
Platinum Member

Good summary of issues and nice analysis

I could do without the TV and microwave, even inverter and maybe A/C if they at least pre-wire it, so I can add later. Cassette I can deal with (doing that now). AGMs would be fine with me. An optional less expensive 100w solar system with the box and connections like the Travato for the future.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #380
Platinum Member

The big/small question: how will the 100$K AKTIV position itself in the market vs. the RT SRT that starts at 85,306$ USD?

Same chassis.

Same manufacturer.

Same warranty.

Same Ecotrek options.

IMO the best feature (not for everyone): you get a permanent bed and a front dinette ( two-zone living area ) ...but I've heard that RT offers a permanent platform bed as a BTO option on certain vehicles and you can use the front area as a minimal dining area.

The AKTIV has more flexible storage options but not as much permanent ones.

The AKTIV has an euro-look interior design as opposed to traditional cabinetry.

You get a smaller fridge than the SRT.

For better or for worse the AKTIV has a cassette toilet.

What else for a 15K difference?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote