Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default I'm ditching my 90lb Spare Tire - fight me!

Haha! I'm not really looking for arguments or "stupid games" responses.
I'm hoping for some insight about how often your spare has come in handy?

The spare hanger hanging off the back door of my Dodge was poorly designed and has caused the door skin to shear open from fatigue. Forthermore, I took it off to weigh it and it weighs 90 pounds! I'd rather just keep my tires fresh and my AAA card nearby. Thoughts? How many times have you needed your spare?
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There is certainly a general transition towards shedding the weight and skipping the spare.

I hope to never get stuck with a blown tire and no cellphone coverage.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I didn't completely ditch my spare, but I did replace it using a much lighter alloy wheel. Probably saves 20 to 30 pounds or so over the original steel wheel. And it matches the other wheels, ie, its also serves as a backup wheel in case I damage one of others.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I needed it once along the Natchez Trace and was glad I had it. I threw a tread once but it stayed inflated and I could get to a nearby tire shop. Had I been more remote I would have installed the spare.

The tires on these heavy weight vehicles are marginal. I will keep the spare. Do not run cheap tires, especially if you are going to ditch the spare.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I picked up a nail ony last trip that went in at a weird angle that a string plug couldn't fix. I was glad to have a spare.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:29 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I had a tire separation on a highway going up to Wickenburg AZ on a Sunday. On my way to Vegas. They estimated 2-4 hours to get to me. Fortunately a AZ DOT volunteer stopped and changed the blown tire for the spare. Less than an hour and I was on my way to Vegas where I got a replacement early morning the next day at a Discount Tire store. And I was on my way. I have a 97PW where the spare is mounted to the rear door and have not yet experienced the sag you described. Tire IS heavy, I agree. But it saved us for sure. Super thanks to the AZ DOT volunteer who would not accept any kind of tip for changing the tire. Thought I could buy him dinner but failed. Exceptionally nice guy.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have been dragging a spare around for decades and needed one three times. I also carry a compressor so twice I could have used a spare I inflated the tire and drove to a tire shop to have it changed. One time it was the valve stem. 3rd time it was a catastrophic failure on the way home with a new to me RV.

I did swap the steel rim for aluminum and think about mounting the spare on the front.

So is it worth carrying a spare, probably not for you. Me I am not leaving the house without one!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I am soon reaching my 60th anniversary of getting my driver's license. Except for 4 years in the late 80's, I have had a vehicle. All of the vehicles had a spare except for 7 years with an RV that didn't have a spare.

All those years, and all those vehicles, and all those miles, I never once needed or used my spare.

But as they say... YMMV
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I have carried my 90 pound spare around for years and have had occasion to use it twice...that said, I am keeping it because:When you call AAA, Good Sam FMCA road assistance they will arrive without a mounted tire. If you do need one it will probably cause a long delay in response and if you have the mishap on a weekend...good luck! They will have to, not only, find a tire, but a compatible rim to mount it on. Few responders I have encountered are equipped to mount a tire in the field. Secondly, even if they can mount the tire on site, you have little or no control about what tire they bring, you have to take what they can find...forget your favorite brand, tread design or, for that matter, date code on the tire, you take what they bring. You also have no control on the price charged...if the guy tells you $350 for an out of date brand X tire...suck it up and get out your credit card. Another point is, if you do any boondocking, or go off on lesser traveled roads, you may be forced to deal with the problem yourself. At my age it would be very difficult to even lift the tire and I would probably have to wait until someone came by who could help...but at least I would be equipped to deal with the issue. So, for me, I will continue to lug the 90 pound tire with me wherever I go.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I have carried my 90 pound spare around for years and have had occasion to use it twice...that said, I am keeping it because:When you call AAA, Good Sam FMCA road assistance they will arrive without a mounted tire. So, for me, I will continue to lug the 90 pound tire with me wherever I go.
Good summary.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

It's like insurance: you hate paying for it and hope you never have to use it. But if you do need it, especially in an extreme situation, you are glad you have it.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #12
Platinum Member

In 63 years of driving I only had flat tires the first two years because in high school I took off people's hands bald tires for free and had a tire mounter tool in my dad's garage. Now in almost 250,000 miles driving a Class B I never had a flat and haven't had a spare tire in 12 years on three of my Class Bs. I drove the Top of the World Highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon without a spare. Thats a gravel road. Yeah, this could be my famous last words on the subject, but with my historical record I will take a little inconvenience and not carry a spare especially on the rear end of the doors. Besides, I couldn't change a 90 lb. tire anyway and I pay to call a service.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:02 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I have carried my 90 pound spare around for years and have had occasion to use it twice...that said, I am keeping it because:When you call AAA, Good Sam FMCA road assistance they will arrive without a mounted tire.
Then you are using the wrong roadside assistance provider. The only tire-related incident I have ever had was an obvious failed valve stem. I called my provider, which is CoachNet. They asked if I had a spare. I said "no, but I told them it was the stem and that it was repairable by the roadside. They said they would send a tire "just in case", which they did. Didn't need it, so they took it back. No charge.

I have tried almost all of them. CoachNet is pretty unambiguously the best (although not the cheapest).

I did keep the spare tire on our new rig, but it was a close call.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

It amazes me how few people in campgrounds and on the roads carry any emergency equipment like even simple tools. They probably are uninterested or unable to really fix anything on their own. Many of my neighbors at home are the same. They call for help for everything. I would hate to feel totally dependent on others more than is absolutely necessary especially when in remote areas. To each his own though.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
It amazes me how few people in campgrounds and on the roads carry any emergency equipment like even simple tools. They probably are uninterested or unable to really fix anything on their own. Many of my neighbors at home are the same. They call for help for everything. I would hate to feel totally dependent on others more than is absolutely necessary especially when in remote areas. To each his own though.
Most people these days can't even run a screwdriver. As you say, they are helpless and dependent, just like a child.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I already mentioned above how I had flat that was non-repairable with a string plug just a few weeks ago and was glad to have a spare. But... I can see leaving the spare at home if you carry a string plug kit and compressor. This is my first hole in 40 years that wasn't pluggable. I have room for my spare in its original factory hangar underneath so I'll always carry it but I could understand leaving it home if you had to use a door hangar or were really tight on weight.

I can't fathom not at least carrying a string plug kit and compressor. I keep a set in every vehicle I own and I've needed them at least 1/2 dozen times over the years.
A high percentage of the places we camp don't have cell service so calling AAA isn't always an option.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:16 AM   #17
Gold Member

I must admit, I was almost swayed to put it back on, and maybe I will someday, but for now, I feel that ditching the weight making things easier overall on my 25-year-old campervan might be more prudent. To be clear, a compressor and plug kit will always be on board. I find a compressor to be mandatory, simply because gas station pumps can't seem to reach the 70 PSI to fill these tires properly.

I'm capable of lifting a spare and certainly capable of mounting one, but I just find that flat tires don't happen often with well-maintained, modern tires.

Traveling to/through areas with no service could be a nailbiter, I suppose, but logically, I know the odds are in my favor.
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I guess its about what you personally prefer. I probably carry more tools/parts than average but I do prefer to have a good spare. We've had flats before and we've traveled thru some pretty remote areas.
One consideration may be to have the spare tire carrier mounted to a frame mounted hitch/receiver to avoid pulling sheet metal on a door. Our van has this arrangement and it's worked fine. Yes it's a load sitting way at the back but with some suspension work and airbags it's been fine. The suspension stuff wasn't done because of the tire but it still helped out back there.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:13 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Thx, I will check on Coachnet!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Thx, I will check on Coachnet!
When evaluating, note that (a) they have unlimited miles towing (compare THAT to AAA!); and (b) they cover ALL you vehicles, not just the RV.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote