Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Level

One of the first things I bought when I got the RV was a set of leveling blocks. Used them a few times the first year. Now I jockey around until I find a level spot in the site. I have this little bubble level that I use on the freezer surface of the fridge which requires me to get up, look at it, drive a little to the left, get up, look at it again, etc. etc.

What system do most of you use to make the process of getting level easier?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
One of the first things I bought when I got the RV was a set of leveling blocks. Used them a few times the first year. Now I jockey around until I find a level spot in the site. I have this little bubble level that I use on the freezer surface of the fridge which requires me to get up, look at it, drive a little to the left, get up, look at it again, etc. etc.

What system do most of you use to make the process of getting level easier?

I have a bullseye level that I set to level on the step extension into the van on the driver side. I need to open the door to see it, but can stay seated for further adjustments. The secret is to get the level set to the van level you want when you mount it. I just got the van level in the garage by using a couple of floor jacks, and then put a blob of clear silicone caulk on back of the small level. Very carefully set it into the silicone and pushed it down until level. Let the silicone set and good to go and always right there.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In our RT Sprinter I bought these and got the van level and then mounted one on the drivers door to get front to back level reading and one on the dash to get side to side level reading. Easy to read while moving around to get level...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm using Bubble Level on my Android phone, works well.
Although, it's now less of an issue since I ditched the propane refrigerator..... try this app on Android, you're going to like it....plus, it's FREE.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

+1 on Booster's method.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tall-3264.html

Level the van area that's most important to you. It might be the fridge or bed or floor or shower pan etc.

Then set the level device on a bed of silicone caulk on any conveniently visible spot from the drivers seat (but not in the way of anything else). By using the bed of silicone caulk you can use a not level surface for your new level reference.

No need to drill holes or use phones or having to get up from the drivers seat etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Look at the water trap in the Toilet bowl to see if it is uniform.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Look at the water trap in the Toilet bowl to see if it is uniform.
That works well. Kind of inconvenient, though. You could get one of these:

and mount it on the dash with some water in it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Level mate. Yes, it takes Bluetooth, and burns through batteries, but i know exactly how far out of level every wheel is, and it's far more precise than a tiny bubble level.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Super precise leveling is unnecessary. Modern absorption fridges are much less finicky than they used to be. If you feel comfortable sleeping, your absorption fridge is happy. A simple bubble lever for me, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Super precise leveling is unnecessary. Modern absorption fridges are much less finicky than they used to be.
Do you know when (and how) this improvement was accomplished? My 2005 unit was pretty bad. That was the main reason I was so anxious to move on the a compressor. I guess that was a long time ago...
Old 02-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Do you know when (and how) this improvement was accomplished? My 2005 unit was pretty bad. That was the main reason I was so anxious to move on the a compressor. I guess that was a long time ago...

Our 2007 was also pretty sensitive to level, so maybe after that. It is also why we quickly got out of it and into a compressor frig.

As too level accuracy, I am quite sensitive to side to side level for sleeping and have found that 1/2 bubble off center on the bullseye level is still OK. DW could sleep on the side of a mountain, I think. The1/2 bubble is well within the accuracy and repeatability of a cheap bullseye level, so really not needed to go more accurate as all the rest of the van doesn't care.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Radius corners on the cooling loop. Yes, that change was a while ago, guessing at least 15 or 20 years. Inefficiencies with absorption fridges today typically have more to do with poor convection in the venting than slightly off-level operation. Chimney-style roof vents typically do better than small fridges with side venting.

I agree that 12V compressor fridges are much better overall, but they’ve require a more robust battery and solar set-up for off-grid use. As battery technology and user-friendliness improves, I’m sure we’re going to see more 12V compressor fridges and fewer absorption units.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
jon
Platinum Member

I use the method Orton (Transit forum) shared:
Cut a block of wood 1/16 Scale of my wheel area.
Attached two levels and a box of 1/16 in thick washers (HD 5/8" cut washers).

I set it on the counter top and add washers until it shows level.
Each washer represents one 1 in leveling block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Level .jpg (179.3 KB, 37 views)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:55 AM   #14
Platinum Member

We could find no compelling reason to level - - so we don't. If we roll out of bed, we'll reconsider.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:02 AM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I use the method Orton (Transit forum) shared:
Cut a block of wood 1/16 Scale of my wheel area.
Attached two levels and a box of 1/16 in thick washers (HD 5/8" cut washers).

I set it on the counter top and add washers until it shows level.
Each washer represents one 1 in leveling block.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting. I did not know about this method, LOVE IT. But not because it is a some kind of super method, it's not. Nostalgia, Memories................ I would like to use it, touch the washers, move them to one corner or another......

Want to ask though although it is not important. You could have used one bubble level, right?

Thanks again.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Super precise leveling is unnecessary. Modern absorption fridges are much less finicky than they used to be. If you feel comfortable sleeping, your absorption fridge is happy. A simple bubble lever for me, too.
Level mate isn't super precise... The blocks are an inch tall, so +/- 0.5" does just fine.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:26 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting. I did not know about this method, LOVE IT. But not because it is a some kind of super method, it's not. Nostalgia, Memories................ I would like to use it, touch the washers, move them to one corner or another......

Want to ask though although it is not important. You could have used one bubble level, right?

Thanks again.

Bud
Dave’s Orton method provide you with lift in inches per wheel needed to level, one washer = one inch lift if I remember correctly. Bubble indicator doesn’t. I would say Dave’s method gives same results as smart phone app, the difference is how long it takes, minutes with Dave’s method and seconds with a smart phone app, your pick.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 AM   #18
Site Team

I have been experimenting with various DIY electronic monitoring techniques. As part of this, I have prototyped an electronic level that uses a little accelerometer sensor and a virtual bubble-level display on a screen. As a stand-alone solution it would be ridiculous overkill, but as part of a larger system, it is kind of cool. I will report in more detail when I am further along.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:07 AM   #19
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Jon,

Thanks again.

Bud
Takes two levels; one front to back and one side to side.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:48 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have been experimenting with various DIY electronic monitoring techniques. As part of this, I have prototyped an electronic level that uses a little accelerometer sensor and a virtual bubble-level display on a screen. As a stand-alone solution it would be ridiculous overkill, but as part of a larger system, it is kind of cool. I will report in more detail when I am further along.
That's basically how the level mate works... Should be a fun project!