Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Level measuring tools

Since Dometic 3 way fridge has pretty strict level requirements I hope you would share what kind of tools and gadgets you use.I watched some youtube videos.A lot of them advertizing electronic devices.3 degree angle measurement might require some of those.
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
3 degree angle measurement might require some of those.
Actually, 3 degrees for the fridge, even though it is a small number, is actually a rather big slant for the van as a whole. Take a look at this post: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ion-13976.html
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I picked up one of these:

We keep it on the bottom (base) of the refrigerator. Figured that is the best location to ensure it is level. Because of its shape, it covers all horizontal axes. I an continually surprised how close a site is to level just using the MK1-mod0 eyeball when compared to the level.

Maybe we need to get further afield to challenge that "hypothesis."

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The level datum is the bottom of the freezer compartment per the owner’s manual.

I would imagine the bottom of the fridge compartment isn’t much different.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:50 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Not so strict for my fridge according to the owners manual. Comfortable to walk in is the standard set.

I am using Camper Level app, just started but looks very promising! I have used a variety of things and this beats all of them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:59 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I am using Camper Level app, just started but looks very promising! I have used a variety of things and this beats all of them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
That thing will spam you to death.
For me, a simple bubble leveler, glued to the kitchen counter, resembles the good old KISS method.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EDSSDO
Under $3 when on sale.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
That thing will spam you to death.
For me, a simple bubble leveler, glued to the kitchen counter, resembles the good old KISS method.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EDSSDO
Under $3 when on sale.
Since I traded the conastoga wagon for that automobile been getting some spam. The app is free, can pay a few dollars and get ad free.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:35 PM   #8
Silver Member

Default Bubble Levels

@phantomjock... FYI
I have a couple of these large bubble levels too. I thought these are great as they are very accurate at 1-2-3 degree markings. After checking, I found the markings are NOT what they appear to be. The 1-2-3 just indicate the degrees between those hash marks.

I used a digital level and re-marked the rings, and while it's ugly it does a great fast job on the counter to give me a quick level indication.

While I don't really care about my compressor fridge I personally have a hard time walking around if we are off more than about the 3°.
bubble_level-1.jpg
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:58 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default Camper Leveler - PRO $6.99

There are tons of phone app's for leveling. Some are free with lots of spam included. Some you pay for. I personally hate my cell phone but they can be handy or some things.

I have the paid version of Camper Leveler Pro ($5 a couple of years ago). No ads or tracking. It works well on a very crooked site as it tells you how far off each wheel is.

Mostly, I still use the bubble level for a quick check.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I have one of the levels like phantomjock shows. I also tried a couple apps for my iPhone. I'm sure they are more alike than different, but I went with "Level my RV" No ads or anything pop up. As with the others, it shows how much to put under each wheel.

[Our last site indicated I needed 6" to level the front! Luckily they had other open sites.]
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My question has to be "why does a phone app for leveling need to be connected to the internet in the first place"? Those apps should be a couple of bucks to buy and use as a standalone.

We don't want random websites tracking where we are and selling our information, even though the my claim not to. We don't even have our data on unless we need it for some specific thing and when we do the location is shut off unless needed.

Has anyone else noticed that commonly when you buy something online and have to register and account to be able get any notifications on it, they always want your phone number. Right after that the amount of spam showing up on your phone goes way up for a while?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Allan View Post
@phantomjock... FYI
I have a couple of these large bubble levels too. I thought these are great as they are very accurate at 1-2-3 degree markings. After checking, I found the markings are NOT what they appear to be. The 1-2-3 just indicate the degrees between those hash marks.

I used a digital level and re-marked the rings, and while it's ugly it does a great fast job on the counter to give me a quick level indication.

While I don't really care about my compressor fridge I personally have a hard time walking around if we are off more than about the 3°.
Attachment 14456

What do those numbers actually mean? I hope it is not degrees even though plastic levels are never great for accuracy, it shouldn't be that bad.

I still haven't figured out what the "each division is 5/1000" with no units. Could it be .005" per foot like a lot of levels are stated for accuracy?
Old 12-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #13
Gold Member

[QUOTE=Ken Allan;151456]@phantomjock... FYI

/QUOTE]
Could you explain how you checked the markings and determined that they are not acccurate ?
If possible please add the pic. of your corrections.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:43 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
My question has to be "why does a phone app for leveling need to be connected to the internet in the first place"? Those apps should be a couple of bucks to buy and use as a standalone.

We don't want random websites tracking where we are and selling our information, even though the my claim not to. We don't even have our data on unless we need it for some specific thing and when we do the location is shut off unless needed.

Has anyone else noticed that commonly when you buy something online and have to register and account to be able get any notifications on it, they always want your phone number. Right after that the amount of spam showing up on your phone goes way up for a while?
Unfortunately this is the way most software moving these days.
Years ago you buy CD in a store,install it ( no phone number required) and use it.
Now f.i. Word requires download and "subscription".
The phone apps are the worst.
But I am thinking of getting levelling device that connects to your phone via bluetooth ( no internet required).
I might start a sepatate thread on the subject.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:55 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Just a note: the app I mentioned does not need internet connection and I'm not getting any popup ads. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like. Actually works OK. I check level, then put the right number of lego style blocks under tires to match the estimated values.

JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #16
Site Team

If you are an iPhone user, the "Measure" app comes free with the phone, and can measure level and a zillion other things. No fancy RV-specific stuff, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #17
Gold Member

"Level my RV " is an Apple product"
Though I resent control freak OS of the company but have to admit they have a lot of usefull apps.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:13 PM   #18
Silver Member

Default Bubble level "calibration"

The photo I posted above shows my markings of "accurate" degrees.

I was never able to determine what these large bubble levels were used for or why the strange markings. I did figure out the 1-2-3 marks just indicated the degrees between the hash marks in that particular area. I believe the 5/1000 is the accuracy rating = 5mm over 1000mm.

To calibrate I have a level machine table. I angled a steel plate using a digital angle gauge ($20) that reads to two place decimals. I made a mark where the bubble stopped. I later centered on my small lathe and scribed more circles. ---KenA
Old 12-15-2023, 03:53 PM   #19
Site Team

I built a home-brew accelerometer-based "spirit level" that works with Home Assistant. For now at least, I just eyeball the "bubble" toward the center of the cross-hairs. Someday I may do the math to compute fancier stuff. Then again, I am mostly a finger-in-the-wind kind of guy when it comes to leveling, so. maybe not.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:13 PM   #20
Platinum Member

A lot of it depends on how picky you are.

For me, personally, I like the bed to be less than 2" unlevel which is about two degrees for our track width. That is also about two degrees. One degree is much better and what I shoot for. Front to rear is also about 1 degree or two inches. On our bullseye level that is about where the bubble is a partial overlap of the first ring outside the center ring. The level is mounted to match the level of the bed. So the 3* or a gas frig wasn't the limiting factor when camped, but often was where we parked at trails and other POI.

The good is that even I have a range of accuracy need of at least on block side to side and two end to end, so the levels don't have to all that accurate, just repeatable so you aren't chasing bad information from the level with the blocks.

One thing I will tell everyone, and that I have tested quite a bit, is that digital levels are notoriously inaccurate from all I have found.

I would encourage everyone to do the old machinery installer/millwrite test of any level you need to rely on. I have done all of mine from the 8" pocket ones to the 8' long one. I checked the bullseye level in the van just for fun and it doesn't have any numbers on it anyway, just rings. It was not correct at center but I mounted it in a silicone blob so I could set the bubble in center with the van preleveled with my good levels off the full time bed.

The test is exceptionally simple to as long as you have flat surface to use. It does not have to be exactly level, though. You will also need a set of feeling gauges or other thin items of known thickness.

* Put the level on the surface and mark around it with a pencil so you car replicate the location exactly. I usually use a pencil line on the level and surface on each end and side in the middle of them. Just line up the lines that way.

* Shim whichever end of the level is low until it reads dead level, noting how shim you put under it

* Carefully lift up the level leaving the shims in place and turn it around 180 degrees and set it back down in the same place on the surface and shims.

* It should read the same dead center, and if it doesn't reshim it to dead center and again note how much shim is under it.

* The difference in the amount of shim needed to get dead level is how much inaccuracy is in the level.

* With a bullseye level you would do it twice, just mark the 90* points on it's perimeter.

Once you know the accuracy you can allow for it by marking the ends of the level is you want to.

On a bullseye, you can also determine what each ring will take to level your van, although the small diameter makes it somewhat hard to do unless you put on a surface that is bigger and you can shim the surface instead.

For reference here are some accuracy specs I quickly found.

* Top quality carpenter level .006" per foot

* Machinist level .005" per foot

* Machinist master level.0005" per foot

* Normal $40 electronic level you need to look at two specs and try make out what the true accuracy is.

I think the electronic one are in the .05" per foot or more based on the specs and what I measured. You need to look at both accuracy if they list it and resolution of the display to see the true accuracy of the reading. The tests showed me the ones I tested were worse than specs, as were both our phones with apps on them.