Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Leveling ramps

For a couple decades I have used scraps of wood to level my RV, my DP had an air leveling system and my Toyota had air springs which helped in leveling.

My 02 Roadtrek 200 for some reason is not as easy to level as my past RV's due to the shower pan set up.

So I came across a video on Beechlane levelers and thought they look great. I will give them a try. When I opened the package I immediately decided I would not use them, the ramps are 6 inch wide and my tire has a foot print of over 8 inch. I will not park with 2 inch of my tire hanging over anything. So back to You Tube and almost every video on the ramp type levelers is for travel trailers, not motorized RV. I would guess they are made so short to fit in between trailer tires.

What are people using to level their Class B?

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca...a-780971845642
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I've never tried that kind but I do have a couple sets of the lego style levelers (Lynx) because my parents gave them to me when the upgraded to a Class A with hydraulics. They're really handy for oil changes but I don't carry them in the van. I haven't run into a situation yet where I couldn't get level enough by choosing the right parking angle.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
the ramps are 6 inch wide and my tire has a foot print of over 8 inch. I will not park with 2 inch of my tire hanging over anything
The ramps do not need to be the same width as the tires. Some overhang is OK - it's not going to damage the tire in any way. Some people use rocks for levelers that only contact the center few inches of tread. The tires are much tougher than you are thinking.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tires are marvels of modern engineering. However due to experience I am anal about tire care and maintenance.

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/
Old 06-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
What a useful site you linked. Bookmarked and reading now.
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

What are people using to level their Class B?
Never tried that style you linked to, but the Lynx levelers work well and are fairly cheap ($30 for 10 last time I checked). I carry 6 of them to build up to two towers (two on the bottom, one center top). Or one could carry 12 to build taller mountains.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Phoenix View Post
What a useful site you linked. Bookmarked and reading now.
I have been following people like Roger for a couple decades, which is why I will not put a 8" tire on a 6" leveler. Very interesting reading, enjoy.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I use Lynx for years, very easy to use. A levelling application on a smart phone can spell out how many inches one or two or three wheels need to be lifted. With Lynx, it is easy to build an appropriate stock as required and drive on. If you incorporate Lynx's choke to your stock it will to stop your van. I can’t see if this is possible with curved levelers, I just don’t see any benefits from curved levelers over flat Lynx.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:44 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I use Lynx for years, very easy to use. A levelling application on a smart phone can spell out how many inches one or two or three wheels need to be lifted. With Lynx, it is easy to build an appropriate stock as required and drive on. If you incorporate Lynx's choke to your stock it will to stop your van. I can’t see if this is possible with curved levelers, I just don’t see any benefits from curved levelers over flat Lynx.
Interesting. I have been using pieces of scrap wood for long time, thought I would try these.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting. I have been using pieces of scrap wood for long time, thought I would try these.
Lynx, which there are different manufacturers, I call Lego blocks because they interlock together thus they stay together deployed or stored. For the price they are worth it. An equivalent sawed up in one foot blocks or any dimension 2x12 x 12 ft. long pressure treated wood would cost $44 at my local Home Depot. That is about 50% more.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Here is another option I happened to find over on the Ford Transit forum. While more expensive, they have a few advantages: A little wider, higher weight capacity, and hinged together for easy use. The shape also might be better on sand or gravel, but I have yet to try them.

They are designed to be used for traction if you are having problems, but you can fold them up and use for leveling too. Just page thru their photos for examples.

https://gotreads.com/product/gotreads-pair/
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I use Lynx and have for a couple of decades now. They are the most reliable and simple solution I have ever found. I carry short pieces of no slip like many of us use in our cabinets to keep stuff from sliding around while driving. The no slip works well under the blocks if I am having any sliding problems on a surface.

Also, I have a big collection of sawed up 2/10 I used for a Class C. I carried them in the Jeep we towed. One obvious thing about four wheels vs six is you need fewer leveling devices. I still use the 2 bys to ramp up the Roadtrek if I need to elevate it a few inches in my driveway to work on something.

Finally, I got tired of using the 2 bys for the Class C because of the weight and just bought a few more Lynx blocks. They are the best solution I have ever found and are still about 33 bucks for a ten pack on Amazon.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We also use the legos. One set of ten is not a good number, so I bought 2 extras so I can build two towers of 6 (3-2-1). However, I can't say that always gets us perfectly level, which might be more necessary in a 2002 Roadtrek, particularly with a propane fridge. We have compressor fridges and don't mind unlevel sleeping as long as we're level side to side and our heads are higher than our feet. Actually, it's pretty rare that we have to use the legos at all. Like Punkinhead we can usually find a spot level enough.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:49 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I carry the Legos but have yet to use them in 25,000 miles over 2 years on the road. I'm down to 10 because they did crack and break under my previous 3500 extended van Sprinter.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Here is another option I happened to find over on the Ford Transit forum. While more expensive, they have a few advantages: A little wider, higher weight capacity, and hinged together for easy use. The shape also might be better on sand or gravel, but I have yet to try them.

They are designed to be used for traction if you are having problems, but you can fold them up and use for leveling too. Just page thru their photos for examples.

https://gotreads.com/product/gotreads-pair/
Yeah but goTreads are super expensive. Love to get them but cost prohibitive
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote