Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Mercedes Sprinter Wheel Speed Sensor Failures

We’ve had 2 recent wheel speed sensor failures on our 2015 Roadtrek SS Agile. Under the Mercedes extended Emissions Warranty, both were covered, and we’re still covered until 10 years / 120,000 miles.

I won’t go into detail about how disconcerting it is to drive a vehicle with antilock brakes, stability control, cruise control, crosswind assist, etc. disabled- and to not be able to get the van serviced while on the road. The booked-up authorized Mercedes Service departments will advise “it’s safe to drive”, as long as you’re not driving in risky conditions.

At 80,000 miles on our Class B now, failures occurred at 68,000 and 75,000 miles. Mercedes Customer Care will not offer proactive replacement of the 2 remaining sensors, even as a “goodwill gesture”, because we are over 75,000 miles.

A Safety Recall has been issued for the 5-ton / 3500 Sprinter model already, to replace these speed sensors. But not for the 2500 models.

I filed a complaint on the NHTSA website yesterday as I believe this common failure is reason enough for a Safety Recall. There are already other similar complaints on the site for the 2500 model.

If any of you have had similar failures and feel likewise, please consider visiting the NHTSA site and filing a complaint (it only takes 5 minutes). We may be able to help with issuance of a recall- and perhaps save a life. Disablement of the entire suite of safety features in heavy traffic, in gusty winds, or on steep curvy mountain roads could be catastrophic.

Thanks,

Steve
sdunn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes. Failures of those sensors was my biggest single trip-ending failure when I had a Sprinter. It was bad enough that I bought a pair of spares -- any mechanic can install them. I have a 3500, though, so had the recall done, and since they used a new rev of the sensors, my spares became obsolete. FWIW, I had no failures subsequent to the recall, so hopefully the problem is fixed with the new sensors.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote