Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Motorcycle

I want to bring my 300 lb motorcycle on my next trip and am looking to hear from those who have had success doing this using a hitch mounted carrier. I have no desire to pull a trailer and my 02 Chevy Roadtrek does not have the external spare tire carrier.

Currently researching these things, but if you know of a good solid performer, would like to know about it firsthand 😀

Thx
Old 09-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I used a Harbor Freight hitch mounted carrier to carry a Honda CT90 on my Travato. That bike weighs a little less than 200lbs. The bike is very easy to tie down to the carrier. There's lots of places you could put a strap but what really made it work was being able to secure the carrier to the van's door hinges. See the blue straps in the photo below. That made it super rigid.

I've had less success with my scooter on the back of my C. It weighs 350lbs and has almost no place to secure a strap to and there is no way, yet, to secure the carrier to the RV other than the stinger. There's a lot of movement back there and it's scary to watch in the rear view camera as I drive. I'm not doing it again until I can make it rock solid like the Tavato.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have carried my Honda Trail 90 on my Pleasure Way, HF carrier with receiver "anti-wriggle" stabilizer hardware

the weight counts against your GVWR - this is important

the longer any hitch extension the more leverage on your hitch ( the trail 90 has handlebar which can be unlatched and turned 90º, so I can get it close)

strap securely-

quality straps, there is a reason we see those orange home depot straps on the road every few miles

and check straps at every stop.

make sure it can't come forward in a panic stop and hole your window
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a 350/375 lb motorcycle and use a Mototote carrier on the back of my van with 2 rachet straps to stop any rocking. The Mototote carrier did not rock very much before the straps but the straps take out all the slop or play in the 2” receiver hitch. The Mototote carrier is much more solid than a HF carrier and more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I used to have a HF carrier, but it was in my opinion to light weight for my MC even though it was supposively rated for the MC weight it didn’t inspire confidence that it wouldn’t eventually fail (it did bend). I didn’t want to chance an accident of the bike falling off the back as it could be potentially very dangerous for someone following, let alone destroying a perfectly good MC. I also use a additional light bar on the MC.

I used to have a MC trailer (locked and chained) however it was stolen during covid

In these pictures my bed slide is ‘out’ but is normally ‘in’ during travel (queen e/w bed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 32E557B4-85CB-4875-8DA2-D1BE225A1F98.jpeg (101.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg 51AD2BEF-FFCD-41EB-BC39-A06034D48AF6.jpeg (122.1 KB, 27 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Tie Dow straps

Mototote sells heavy duty tie downs that keep your motorcycle solid on your carrier. It doesn’t move as opposed to regular rachet straps on the MC. I have these and can highly recommend them, especially the rear tire strap.

https://www.mototote.com/heavy-duty-...wn-bundle.html
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Old 09-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with which chassis the Roadtrek uses. Does it have a full frame? What's stopping me from using a hitch carrier is that my van is an extended Ford Transit which is unibody. I can't bring myself to use a carrier on a vehicle that has no solid frame and a hitch that is cantilevered that many feet off the axle so I'm sticking with a trailer. If I had a non-extended van with a real frame I wouldn't hesitate to use a hitch carriers for a 300 lb bike.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

There is also the issue of having 300# that is hanging 3+ feet beyond the bumper and a long ways behind the axle. Rear weight is going to go up much more than the 350# and the front will lose weight on it. Squirrely handling and porpoising can easily happen, as can overloading the GAWR for the rear axle on single rear wheel units.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:28 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
I have a 350/375 lb motorcycle and use a Mototote carrier on the back of my van with 2 rachet straps to stop any rocking. The Mototote carrier did not rock very much before the straps but the straps take out all the slop or play in the 2” receiver hitch. The Mototote carrier is much more solid than a HF carrier and more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I used to have a HF carrier, but it was in my opinion to light weight for my MC even though it was supposively rated for the MC weight it didn’t inspire confidence that it wouldn’t eventually fail (it did bend). I didn’t want to chance an accident of the bike falling off the back as it could be potentially very dangerous for someone following, let alone destroying a perfectly good MC. I also use a additional light bar on the MC.

I used to have a MC trailer (locked and chained) however it was stolen during covid

In these pictures my bed slide is ‘out’ but is normally ‘in’ during travel (queen e/w bed).
Thanks, I like the looks of this. Actually my bike weighs in at about 250 LBs wet (Yamaha XT225) so I think my van would handle that OK. How was it getting the bike on and off? And the front water tank would off set some of the weight if it were filled.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:17 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Ultimate MX Hauler. Flops a bit, expensive. I had to create a hoist to pick the bike up an inch or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7EFDB9F1-A5D7-4818-B03E-BC97B2C6DADE.jpg (385.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 6DACCF43-9526-46F2-897B-C290F5A86D0A.jpg (228.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 521C208D-6056-4B61-911F-37DD7BB8AAF7.jpg (234.3 KB, 20 views)
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:38 AM   #10
Platinum Member

@Booster my GAWR is a good 1,500 lbs under the maximum fully loaded with people, water, fuel and motorcycle. I have the short wheelbase Transit 19’6” and handling is not compromised at all with the motorcycle on the back. You actually don’t know its there.

@KurtFranz loading and unloading the motorcycle is fairly easy. Loading I hand (motor) walk it up the ramp that comes with the carrier into the front wheel chock and then bike will stay upright. I attach front straps right away - loosely, then the rear wheel straps over the rear wheel and cinch down tight and finally tighten the front straps around the lower shock towers. Add light bar and am ready to go. Unloading reverse - undo the back wheel strap first then front straps and manually roll back of carrier holding the front brake to slow the bikes decent off the carrier.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I had mounted an XT250 to the rear of my '17 Navion with a Motot-Tote a few years back. I had modified it to be more stable and handle the weight better. Here is a link to some pics: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...1/#post-661533 See post #2.

I am currently modifying a Stowaway 2 swing away rear carrier to carry a motorcycle or a couple of e-bikes, generator, or fuel tank. This will be fitted to my recently completed 170 cargo van conversion.
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

For not much more than the cost of the better quality hitch carrier systems, you can get a small trailer. I know you said you are not interested in trailering, but seriously... there isn't much downside to it.

You can get standup models that take very little garage space, not much more than the carrier would. Your van will handle better with that weight on a trailer vs. on a carrier. A small trailer tucks in behind the van, and you will hardly even know it is there.

We've trailered two bikes behind our van many, many thousands of miles now. No issues. And it also gives you somewhere to store your bulky riding gear, carry an extra gas can, etc.

Also with a trailer, you still have full access to your back doors.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Hey Bill, I agree with you - somewhat. Everybody has different ideas of how they want to travel. I have a 7' X 12' enclosed aluminum trailer, with a tailgate, and it is great for hauling a couple motorcycles, e-bikes, or whatever. But, we just don't like to tow it. It does present 'inconveniences' when parking, getting gas, well, just about everywhere we go. When we have a more or less dedicated trip to ride the bikes, then we'll hook it up and put up with the normal trailering issues and lower fuel mileage. But for other times, we will be able to haul one motorcycle or a couple e-bikes on the swing out hitch assembly.

Everybody to his own....
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote