Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2023, 03:05 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default My Nomad Experience

I thought I would offer my recent experience with Nomad. Like a lot of folks, I got interested in Nomad for its 5G & Ultra coverage, supposed ability to connect while in motion, and the ability to pause service (and cost) when not traveling (since we are not full timers). I signed up and within a week started seeing all the negatives, and influencers disassociating themselves from earlier endorsements.

As I deliberated on cancelling and played some phone and email tag with their customer service just to find out the cancellation process, when I had not yet received the modem or started service, I seriously considered just keeping it when it arrived and taking my chances. Then the Texas lawsuit happened, and reading the various assertions changed my mind. That same day I got notice my bundle had been shipped!

So I received it, set it up and activated service just to see how it worked. Considering it was just in my driveway it was pretty easy and I was seamlessly streaming TV and internetting within an hour.

In the interim I did receive a direct number to call to arrange cancellation, which was actually simplified because I had received the unit and activated. I got an RMA#, wrapped it up and sent it back. They advised full refund of startup fee and first month service would be refunded when they get the unit back.

So I learned a few things. I liked the Inseego FX2000 (Nomad Air), so would use that or similar platform as starting point. As for redundancy, a good wifi extender/repeater that could pick up a host/campground wifi or my phone's hotspot would be adequate. I would consider a single device that did both functions. We are not working and can accept occasional nonavailability of internet. We are Verizon customers, and I have found their coverage pretty good on the road, as I Bluetooth Pandora, SXM and FB messenger to the RV system. I also would couple the device with a roof mounted antenna

We are also cost conscious and if relying on phone as hotspot we will self throttle to avoid capping out.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote