Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Downsizing question

We have a 92D190 Popular Roadtrek and have been thinking of downsizing to the 170 model. Can anyone share information on what you lose in storage and bed size? I know it would be east/west sleeping instead of the north/south we have, but ours is "nearly" a king. I'm just wondering what else we might give up by trading. Thanks! Happy Camping!
Kobieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We went from a 19 to a 17. Not Roadtrek, but can say it was the best thing ever. For the 2 of us, we can and do go just about anywhere.

Our bed makes up all the way across in the middle of the van, which is right because that's the widest part of the vehicle. Our 19 had the rear bed, which was cramped. The back of the van is narrower - it's not a good place for the bed.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:48 PM   #3
Bronze Member

May I ask your make/model? Our bed is in the back, but it is quite large. If there's another 17' model with an ample bed, I'd be inclined to take a look at that! THANK YOU!
Old 04-23-2023, 10:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

170 used the Chev 2500 chassis with the 4.8.

I have the 4.8 in my 2001 Sierra and I think it is underpowered- transmission "hunting" 3rd/overdrive on slight grades in an empty pick up.

The 170's I have been in have overhanging cabinetry to add storage, felt claustrophobic to me
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:55 PM   #5
Bronze Member

mkguitar. 170s are available with the Dodge chassis as well. We'd prefer the Dodge of course.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default 2008 rt 170p

I'm 6'3" and the headroom is satisfactory.

The bed is in the aft, and we sleep athwart and I find it adequate. Slight bend in the knees when on my side. On my back not "pressed."

The galley space, although small is just fine for the two of us.

I don't believe the 190 has much of a different toilet and shower setup to the 170. Others could report.

And, it drives quite comfortably. I'll report after we get new tires this next week - if I've made a good choice or not.

And, the 6.0L Chevy engine is fantastic.

Mind you, we come from over 30 years of living on a sailboat, so adapt to the size probably pretty quickly.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:09 AM   #7
Platinum Member

As I recall, those old Roadtrek 170's had a 3rd seat behind the passenger seat. This meant that they had virtually no bathroom but instead you had to sit on the toilet with your feet in the open hallway in order to get a van that was 19 ft long. That whole design seemed to prioritize adding a 3rd seat for a 3rd passenger. My memory could be wrong though.

If that is the case, why wouldn't you consider one of the other newer 19 ft Class B's with a more typical Class B design with a full size bed and a decent size private bathroom (but no 3rd seat) if you are primarily looking for a shorter Class B. I definitely can understand the desire for a shorter van. I would never want another Class B longer than 19-20 ft. That is the sweet spot for parking and driving for me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
As I recall, those old Roadtrek 170's had a 3rd seat behind the passenger seat. This meant that they had virtually no bathroom but instead you had to sit on the toilet with your feet in the open hallway in order to get a van that was 19 ft long. That whole design seemed to prioritize adding a 3rd seat for a 3rd passenger. My memory could be wrong though.

If that is the case, why wouldn't you consider one of the other newer 19 ft Class B's with a more typical Class B design with a full size bed and a decent size private bathroom (but no 3rd seat) if you are primarily looking for a shorter Class B. I definitely can understand the desire for a shorter van. I would never want another Class B longer than 19-20 ft. That is the sweet spot for parking and driving for me.
I think the aisle shower/feet in kitchen is an individual choice. From what I've seen, except for the rear bath models, a private bath in a class B is very, very cramped. I liked showering in the aisle. Turn the ceiling fan on reverse to puff out the curtain a bit and there was plenty of room to shower without having to use a shoehorn to gain access. My brother has a Coachman like that.

One does have to be comfortable with "pooping in the kitchen", though.

Again, whatever floats your boat. We have moved on to a Safari Trek, huge dry bath and shower, but a whole different deal. Still versatile enough for boondocking, though. We have fresh Arizona pinstriping to prove it.

Have fun, y'all.

On TDY at Piney Bay COE park.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I found the bed in the 170 to be very small... and I was traveling alone and am only 5'4" - my feet touched one wall and my head touched the other.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
We went from a 19 to a 17. Not Roadtrek, but can say it was the best thing ever. For the 2 of us, we can and do go just about anywhere.

Our bed makes up all the way across in the middle of the van, which is right because that's the widest part of the vehicle. Our 19 had the rear bed, which was cramped. The back of the van is narrower - it's not a good place for the bed.
This seems ideal. Did I miss the make/model?