Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2023, 03:33 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator Won't Work on AC

Greetings! I'm new to the RV Class B (RVs in General). We have a 2018 MB Pleasure Way Plateau Sprinter van. The first time we camped and plugged in to shore power using the standard 30-amp connection, everything worked great. Digging through all the stuff that came with the van I found an adapter to plug the van in to a non-30 amp/normal wall jack that I think I can use to cool the fridge (and only the fridge) prior to travel. However, when I connect the van to the house via the adapter, I get power to the van but the fridge will not run on AC and when turned on it trips house GFI.

Can the adapter be used to plug the van into a non-30 amp circuit if I'm only cooling the fridge? It makes perfect sense in prep for travel, but not sure it's designed to work this way since it's not working?

Thanks!
FloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have no knowledge of how or why a MB Pleasureway might work differently but I do know that I plug my 2007 Roadtrek into a 20 amp house circuit and have since we bought it in 2006. I run the refrigerator and the KoolKat AC without problems on the house circuit.

Years ago I bought a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord, cut off the receptacle end of it and replaced it with an RV plug. I use that cord to plug into the house when I just want to charge my coach batteries and/or run the refrigerator on AC. No problems. That way, I don't have to get out the big heavy 30 AMP rv cord and use an adaptor for the house.

I am sure a lot of people would say don't do that but it has worked for me for seventeen years with no problems.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Is this an AC/DC compressor fridge with its own built in DC>AC inverter or a DC compressor fridge powered by independent DC>AC inverter?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Is this an AC/DC compressor fridge with its own built in DC>AC inverter or a DC compressor fridge powered by independent DC>AC inverter?
Not certain, but I think it's powered by a separate/independent inverter. The van has an inverter that powers everything else so i'm guessing that is how the fridge works too, but I will verify in the owner's manual.

Thanks.
FloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Bronze Member

The fridge does not work off the inverter. It has its own plug that will work on shore or generator power only for AC operation. Look at the outlet it’s plugged into and while connected to shore power, reset the GFCI. The reset is in the centre of the plug. Some GFCI’s have a light on them. It takes a hard push to reset it and you should feel and hear a loud click.
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:46 PM   #6

Are you plugging into a 20 amp receptacle at home? Not a 15 amp receptacle. I usually pre-cool the refrigerator at home the night before we take a trip. It works fine.
eieiooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:25 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
The fridge does not work off the inverter. It has its own plug that will work on shore or generator power only for AC operation. Look at the outlet it’s plugged into and while connected to shore power, reset the GFCI. The reset is in the centre of the plug. Some GFCI’s have a light on them. It takes a hard push to reset it and you should feel and hear a loud click.
Thanks! You were spot on...It was as simple as the GFI being tripped. I didn't see it where it was located but once I popped the panel off the side of the van and noticed it had no AC power at all, it was a simple search and rescue. Got it working again and after being plugged in over night the fridge is working perfectly!

Off to Tennessee mountains next week for some camping and twisty road motorcycle rides!!
Old 04-29-2023, 01:39 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloRider View Post
Thanks! You were spot on...It was as simple as the GFI being tripped. I didn't see it where it was located but once I popped the panel off the side of the van and noticed it had no AC power at all, it was a simple search and rescue. Got it working again and after being plugged in over night the fridge is working perfectly!

Off to Tennessee mountains next week for some camping and twisty road motorcycle rides!!
Ya gotta love simple and free.

Have fun in TN. We are on our way back to FLA after playing on the moto in Arkansas for a week.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote