Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2023, 03:02 AM   #1

Default Cargo Box for Ontour 2.2

My wife and I just purchased a 2023 Ontour 2.2 and are considering adding a StowAway2 hitch-mounted cargo box. Anyone have any experience with these boxes? Encountered any problems?

Thanks,
Bob
NWBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I had one, sold it after about one year of use. It was too big, unmanageable cargo and awkward in parking. Rear parking sensors no longer worked properly.

In lieu of the box I added a rear door aluminum ladder with small aluminum box. I can attach BBQ below the box and use it in situ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03807.jpg (171.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01039.jpg (157.0 KB, 18 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBob View Post
My wife and I just purchased a 2023 Ontour 2.2 and are considering adding a StowAway2 hitch-mounted cargo box. Anyone have any experience with these boxes? Encountered any problems?

Thanks,
Bob
In 2019 we bought one for our 2012 Roadtrek 190 Ranger. We love it.
We are very nomadic and the box has made it much easier to set up then put way as we drift from site to site. And when we are on-site and bad weather rolls in without notice, we can quickly stow away sensitive equipment. There is a hitch extension which allows the box to sit behind our continental spare tire kit. The box has had no negative affect on the way our RT drives, although it could in other types of class B's. We talked to one couple who sold theirs because it negatively affected the drive of their RT 210. IMO, wheel base distance, van length, RV weight, and vehicle ground effect all play a role in whether or not a van will drive well with a box loaded to max.
It is water resistant, but not water proof. We carry our kitchen/bathroom paper rolls in it and they have stayed dry. On one occasion we found a small amount of rain water in it after driving through a heavy storm.
We are blessed with good health and find it easy to mount the box in the spring and remove it in the fall for winter storage (two person operation).

Any problems ... not really. It adds about 3 feet to the overall length of your rig. We do not have a backup camera on the box, so backing up is often a two person operation.

Maintenance ... we apply Aerospace 303 to our Stowaway 2 every month to reduce UV damage.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
I have had a Stowaway for 5+ yrs now. Use it to store outside camping gear like chairs, levelers, hoses and electrical cable,etc. Anything I deem better kept outside of the van. The only issue was, the Ram Promaster(2016 Lexor TS) hitch could not support the weight. I never overloaded it. It came with a Curt type 4 hitch. After about 4 years, experienced significant hitch sag. Replaced last year with OEM type 4 hitch. Sag is currently gone. Interesting, the OEM type 4 and Curt type 4 are rated about the same? OEM is about 25lbs heavier? Just make sure you have a good type 4 hitch. I suspect you do since the Ford(way more torque) can tow much more than the Ram Promaster.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't know how we would manage without our rear storage boxes. They are one of the most important features of our van given the storage limitations of a Class B RV. I researched all the options including the Stowaway cargo box when we bought our van. We finally decided to get 2 large Aluminess rear storage boxes which have turned out to be a great choice. They are very well made, sturdy, don't stick out much behind the van, don't interfere with our rear lights and have good locks on them. They easily hold our lawn chairs, grill, tools, water jug, etc. We even have our bike racks on the top of one of them. They feel like they are an integral part of the van instead of an afterthought like a hitch box. We have a Sprinter van though and the Aluminess options for Sprinters may be better than for the Transits.

I would take your time and look at all the options. In my opinion, there are better options than the Stowaway box and a very worthy place to spend some money.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We went with the StowAway Hitch Frame and and Hitch Rack. Mainly I didn't want the tare weight of a big box. Instead we use a Harbor Freight canvas cargo bag. I very much like the swing away feature. It allows easy access to the rear cargo area, and frees the back door to open in case of an emergency.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:46 PM   #7
Silver Member

Default Swin away carrier

Quote:

Thanks,
Bob
You might consider a swing away, which makes it much easier to get into the back end of the rig. plus at night you can leave it unlocked so as to use the back doors as an escape if needed.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote