Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #33
Bronze Member

Default Re: New to Forum - I bought a Travato!

wincrasher,

Hey, thanks for the thorough reply. Great info there. Yeah, I figured the 2015 Sandstones must be the somewhat newer models built this year. I'm with you on disliking the black bits, but I could get used to it. I just wish Winnebago offered the current 2015 builds in the full body paint Sandstone in addition to silver. The changes for 2015--the additional storage under the higher bed and the vanity in the bathroom--might be nice to have, but I'll opt for an older version to get the Sandstone.

I plan to go half-time in it, maybe one month on, one month off, with the ultimate goal to sell the house in a year or two and go full-time in something bigger. Never having owned an RV, I'm not sure about this whole endeavor, and selling the house now would be too big of a step.

So, the large refrigerator and plenty of storage under the bed are the main selling points to me for a month's travel, especially the freezer being larger than the tiny ones in most Bs. I'd have it filled to the max. I plan, or should say hope, to haul a 12-foot portabote inside the van on the floor, if there's a straight stretch of floor space that runs twelve feet. Forgot to measure it when I saw the van in person, but can do it this weekend. The boat folds down to four inches thick, like a surfboard. Plus a bicycle, BBQ grill, fishing gear, small outboard motor, on and on. It's probably nuts, but I'd try it. Or sell the boat and get an 8-footer or inflatable.

The only potential deal-killer is the 110v-only water heater, but like you said, there are work arounds. Seems that one has to be versatile when traveling in any kind of movable home, and I should be satisfied if I can get about 80% of the "wants".